Australia

Chapter Seventy Eight

Nick's POV

I bid my father goodnight as he left the room after placing Frankie in his respectful bed. I looked over at my younger brother who was curled up under the hotel blanket. Things were so much easier being that age. You had no real responsibilty other then being adorable. You didn't need to worry about anything. You didn't have anything to prove. You didn't have expectations to meet. You didn't have to worry about things like money, working or love. I sighed at the thought of love before closing the door quietly.

Love; stupid useless thing. Of course I didn't believe that. But given the current circumstances, I would prefer to be completely without it. A promise ring? A promise ring? I had never in my life seen Joe so serious about a girl before. The way he knelt before her on the stage, in front of 200 people; his friends and his family. I couldn't believe it; and with his ex-girlfriends number one hit as a backing track too. He altered the lyrics so well. It must've been Kevin he was talking about when he was singing. He told me he was buying Sam a ring and I had taken one of hers for him to use as a size guide, but he hadn't told me what the ring was for. I never thought he'd have done this. It was basically him proposing; except for the marriage thing. He asked her to promise herself to him. She accepted. Sam had really accepted.

I sighed and slid down the back of the hotel door; both my legs out in front of me. I loosened the knot on mytie enough to pull it over my head and I chucked it in the direction of my suitcase. I ran my fingers through my curls. They were too long. Frustrated, I brought my right knee up to rest my elbow on. I cradled my head in my hand.

As happy as I bet Joe was feeling right now, I'm feeling just as lousy. I had fooled myself into thinking I actually had a chance with Sam. First things first, she's 18 and I'm 16. That's a two year age difference. Second, she was with Joe. He was the one that she had always had the crush on. Third; I'm nothing like my brother. The complete opposite really. He was carefree, goofy and had the mental maturity of a 10 year old most of the time. I'm headstrong, a perfectionist and people had always told me I was 16 going on 60. I was too mature for my own good. But, I wasn't going to change who I am for a girl. Even someone as wonderful as Sam wasn't going to change me. And last but not least, Sam doesn't like me. Not like I like her. I shook my head at myself.

"Quit the self pity, Jonas," I whispered to myself in the darkness. "Get a grip."

I pulled myself up and pulled my jacket off; chucking it with my tie. I kicked off my shoes and threw myself onto my bed; face down in the pillow. I turned my head to the side and rested it into the pillow. I reached into the pocket of my dress pants and fished out my phone. I pushed the unlock button and took in the photo on the screen. It was Sam and I. We were on our day out. She was wearing my shirt and her sunglasses and grinning like a mad woman. I on the other hand was looking at her; smirking at the expression on her face. I looked happy. I remember being mesmerised by her complete carefree attitude of the day. She had shrugged off falling in the stream, paying for everything. I fell for her that day. I fell hard. I sighed and stuffed my phone under my pillow and closed my eyes.

"Goodnight, Sam," I whispered into the darkness. "I think I might just love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Its been a few days since I updated.
I had to think about where to go after last chapter.
What'd you think?
Comment/Subscribe?