Australia

Chapter Eighty Four

Nick’s POV

Sam and I sat in silence for what felt, to me, as forever. The plane wasn’t exactly a silent environment. I could hear a baby crying somewhere in front of me, Joe and Kevin were talking about something they were looking forward to eating at home, Rob and Frankie were playing snap and obviously Rob was winning; but Frankie’s reactions. I could hear the sound of the engines and the sound of my own heart beating in my ears.

But most of all I could hear Sam breathing. I turned my face to watch her. She had her elbow resting on the windowsill, her chin resting in her palm and she was staring out the window. She looked like she was thinking; deep in thought. I wasn’t fond of the silence between the two of us, resulting in me pulling out my iPod and sticking it on shuffle. I put one of my headphones in the ear closest to Sam and stuck the other down the front of my t-shirt. I slid my iPod into my pocket and I sat back; closing my eyes.

First song was one of Demi’s songs, and one by Elvis Costello. 4 more songs played before my eyes snapped open as a hand groped its way across my chest and plunged down the front of my shirt; pulling out my right head phone. I turned to see Sam smirking at me.

“What?” she looked at me with innocent eyes. “I’m not going to let you listen while i stare aimlessly and bored out the plane window.”

“True,” I chuckled at her frustrated expression.

“There’s only so much enjoyment that can come from staring at clouds,” she sat as a-matter-of-factly and pushed the ear bud into her ear. “What are we listening to anyway?”

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “It’s on shuffle. It’s up to the iPod.”

“Ooooo,” Sam grinned. “This shall be interesting.”

I grinned back at her and waited for the next song to start. When an Owl City song started, I moved to pull my ipod out and change the song, but Sam stopped me.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Changing the song,” I answered.

“Why?” she asked. “This sounds pretty. We’ll just listen to this.

“Alright then,” I smiled at her. I rested my arms on the armrests of my chair and listened to the soothing vocals of Adam Young.

The stars lean down to kiss you,
And I lie awake I miss you,
Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere.
Cause I'll doze off safe and soundly,
But I'll miss your arms around me
I'll send a postcard to you dear,
Cause I wish you were here.


I turned my face to look at Sam. She did the same; smiling at me softly. I returned the smile and lost myself in her eyes again. I bit my lip; I knew what the coming verse said. I turned my hand upwards; loosely curling my knuckles.

I'll watch the night turn light blue,
But it's not the same without you,
Because it takes two to whisper quietly.


I sighed almost silently and smiled at Sam again. Her smile was a little broader this time.

The silence isn't so bad,
Till I look at my hands and feel sad,
Cause the spaces between my fingers
Are right where yours fit perfectly.


I watched Sam glance at my waiting hand and then back up at my face. She slip her hand into mine; lacing her fingers through mine as far as the arm rest would allow. I pulled my hand gently towards me to rest it in my lap. Sam didn’t show any reluctance as she squeezed my hand when I moved it. I looked at our interlaced hands in my lap and couldn’t help but think that they fitted perfectly together. I didn’t tell my mind off for thinking such a corny thought because for once my heart agreed.

I'll find repose in new ways,
Though I haven't slept in two days,
Cause cold nostalgia chills me to the bone.
But drenched in Vanilla twilight,
I'll sit on the front porch all night,


I turned my head back and looked Sam in the eyes again. A small smile played on her lips. I smiled back and mouthed the words to the continuing verse.

”Waist deep in thought because when I think of you.
I don't feel so alone.
I don't feel so alone.
I don't feel so alone.”


She smiled at me thoughtfully and grazed her thumb across the back my hand.

“As many times as I blink I'll think of you... tonight,” I whispered along with the lyrics. “I'll think of you tonight.”

The song continued as Sam and I gazed at each other. She had no idea what just her eyes did to the fluttering of butterflies in my stomach and my beating heart in my chest.

When violet eyes get brighter,
And heavy wings grow lighter,
I'll taste the sky and feel alive again.
And I'll forget the world that I knew,
But I swear I won't forget you,
Oh if my voice could reach back through the past,
I'd whisper in your ear,
Oh darling I wish you were here.


Sam smiled and plucked the head phones out of each of our ears. She nestled her head into my shoulder and felt her exhale against the skin of my exposed collar bone.

“But Nick,” she whispered. “I am here.”

I squeezed her hand both in comfort and in thanks.

“Thank you Sam,” I whispered to her. “You have no idea how much that means.”

“Anytime, Nick,” Sam, responded. “Anytime.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Song credit: Vanilla Twilight by Owl City.
You should check them out.
[url= http://www.myspace.com/owlcity]" Follow Link To Their Myspace [/url]
Comments please?