Australia

Chapter Eighty Five

Nick's POV

Touchdown back home came too soon. I was enjoying the closeness I was sharing with Sam. She had nestled her head closer into my neck and I had slouched slightly to make her more comfortable.

That was how we sat for the last 3 hours of the plane ride. I had put the head phone back in my ear, as did Sam. The soundtrack of the moment ranged in music; from Owl City to Elvis Costello, from Prince to Switchfoot. It wasn't until the captain announced that we would be landing soon that Sam sat up properly again. But she didn't release my hand. Our hands remained in their loose embrace as the planes tires hit the tarmac and as the plane taxi'ed into the terminal. When the plane came to a complete halt, Sam bent down and picked up her bag from the floor. The stewardesses told us that we were free to stand and make our way off the plane. I undid my seat belt with my free hand and then turned to look at Sam.

"That was fun," I smiled at her.

"It was," she returned the smile.

I turned at the sound of someone clearing their throat beside me. It was Kevin.

"Id let go if I were you" he hissed, jerking his head towards Joe who was 2 people behind him in the cue off the plane.

I reluctantly let go of Sam's hand and stood up. Kevin motioned for me to step out in front of him in the cue. I gave him a look and he returned one; his more severe than mine.

Sam's POV

I stood and watched Nick and Kevin look at each other. I tried to read their expressions. Nick's was easy; confusion. It was obvious. Kevin on the otherhand wasn't so easy. His brows were furrowed together, his mouth sat in a straight line and his eyes were intense; like he was trying to convey Nick a message by just looking at him. My concentration was broken when Kevin shoved Nick forward by his shoulder and Nick stumbled forward and made his way off the plane. Two people passed before Joe stood in front of me. I smiled at him and let me in; placing his hand on my lower back and guiding me in front of him.

"Did you have fun with Nick?" he asked into my ear.

"Yeah," I smiled and nodded in response. "We were just sitting listening to his ipod. It was fun."

"Im glad," Joe answered. "Who'd you listen to? Anyone interesting?"

"A little bit of everything really," I shrugged. "Remind me to raid his itunes when we get home."

"Deal," Joe laughed as we made our way down the tunnel off the plane.

He walked beside me and slid his hand into mine. I looked up at his face, where a warm smile sat. I returned the smile and let go of his hand; choosing to wrap my arm around his waist instead. He draped his arm across my shoulders and held me close.

"I missed you, Sam," Joe told me as we approached the family.

I looked up to see them standing in a group. Nick looked at me and smiled at me. I returned the smile to Nick before Kevin said something to draw his attention from me. I didn't understand what Kevin was thinking.

"I missed you too, Joe," I replied.

The drive from the airport back to home was long and humid. The short bus's windows only provided limited ventilation and I constantly found myself fanning myself with my hand. I stifled a yawn and heard Joe laugh at me.

"What's so funny?" I asked him, laughing half heartedly.

"You," he shrugged in reply, with a grin still plastered on his face.

I leant back and focused my attention on Nick who is sitting in the seat across and one seat forward in the short bus. He was fiddling with his ipod with one hand; the other rested in his palm, supported by his elbow that was leaning on the windowsill of the bus. The breeze that was making its way through the small bus window was making Nick's curls sway gently. I could only see the side of his face but the frown that was situated on his lips was too obvious to not notice. He looked so, young.

"You alright?" Joe's voice interrupted my thoughts about his little brother.

"Yeah. Why?" I looked at Joe.

"You keep looking at Nick," he tilted his head gently.

"Do I?" I asked. "I keep drifting out. I guess im tired."

Joe smiled warmly at me. It reached his eyes.

"Shoulders yours if you want it," he told me.

I smiled up at Joe. Sincerity was written on his features. I slid my hand into his and lay my head on his shoulder. I stole one more glance and Nick and closed my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nothing too flashy. Its just a filler.
More coming next chapter.