Australia

Chapter Eighty Six

Sams POV

I opened my eyes slowly when I was shaken awake gently. I saw Joe looking down at me smiling. I glanced around and noticed I was lying in his lap. I sat up slowly and rubbed my eyes.

"We're home," Joe said softly.

I looked out the window across from me and there sat the Jonas house. I turned and smiled at Joe before kissing him on the cheek.

"I'm glad to be home," I told him and half stood up.

We all piled out of the short bus and grabbed our suitcases. Paul lead the way to the front door and unlocked it; each of us made our way up the stairs to our rooms. I had every intention on crashing for the night. I stopped in front of Joe and Kevins room and was swept into a hug by Joe.

"It's going to be weird not sleeping in the same room as you," I gushed as Joe held both of my hands.

"It is," he nodded in response. "But, I'll see you tomorrow. And the next day and the next day."

I smiled up at him and gave Joe a quick kiss on the lips. I watched Joe walk into his room before walking along and stopping in front of Nick and Frankies door.

Kevins POV

I was glad to be home. I slowly made my way up the stairs after helping mum pull her case into her room. I stopped at the top of the stairs when I caught a glimpse of Sam and Nick together.

I frowned as Sam wrapped her arms around Nick's middle and pulled him into a hug. She needs to stop stringing Nick along like she is. I knew very well how strongly Nick feels for Sam. It was an infatuation if nothing else. It wasn't a crush anymore; bigger andmore complicated. I made my way into my bedroom and peered around the door frame.

I watched Sam reach up a little and rest her hand on Nick's cheek. She smiled at him warmly. Nick had a smile on his face too. It turned my stomach to see him falling for her so much more and her not even realising what every little thing meant. Sam pulled her hand back and grabbed her suitcase.

"Goodnight Nick," she said softly, but loud enough for me to hear.

"Night Sam," Nick replied and pushed his door open; closing it behind him. Sam walked the few steps to her room and closed the door behind her also.

I had to talk to her, remind her of what Nick felt and if need be, telling her straight out what I was feeling. I sat on my bed for a few minutes giving Sam time to gather her thoughts. I looked over to Joe. He was humming something while he unpacked his suitcase; throwing clothes into two piles on the floor. I shook my head and my brother before returning to my thoughts.

It wasn't fair on Joe either. Here he was thinking everything was perfect between him and Sam. Meanwhile Sam was having secret cutesy moments with Nick; Joe's brother and best mate. It wasn't fair. She had had long enough. I stood up.

"Where are you going?" Joe asked from amongst his laundry which was now not only on the floor but draped over his arms and all over the bed.

"Uh, bathroom," I shrugged and walked out of the room.

I made a beeline for Sam's bedroom. I knocked on the door twice.

"Come in," her voice came from behind the door. I turned the handle and walked in, closing the door behind me.

"Oh, hey Kevin," she smiled at me.

"Hey, um" I started. I felt confidence building in my gut. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," Sam put down the t-shirts she was holding and turned to face me properly. "What's up?"

"Where do your priorities lie?" I asked flatly.

"Excuse me?" she replied and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. She looked taken aback by my question. I wasn't giving up.

"Where do your priorities lie, Sam?" I repeated.

"How do you mean?" she crossed her arms.

"Are they with Joe or Nick?" I pushed.

"Joe of course. But I don't unders..." she told me, but I interrupted with the most important question.

"Do you feel anything for Nick?" I asked.

"I'm dating Joe, Kevin. I've promised myself to Joe. I love Joe," she responded.

"You didn't answer my question," I stated, annoyed.

"Why should I have to?" she demanded. "What's gotten into you Kevin. You're usually the soft hearted one."

"Usually," I told her.

"Besides, its none of your business," she uncrossed her arms and rested her hands on her hips instead.

"It is my business," I exclaimed. I heard my voice raise slightly. I didn't want to yell at Sam nor argue with her. But she needed to hear this. "They're my brothers and I have a right to know if your stringing Nick along just in case you and Joe don't work out."

"Stringing him along?" She looked at me with wide eyes full of disbelief.

"You heard me." I met her wide eyes with hard ones of my own.

"How dare you?" she said louder then before. I shook my head.

"No, how dare you, Samantha? Do you know how Nick feels?" I asked her, my voice raised also.

"Yes," she responded. "He's told me he likes me."

"Do you like him like that?" I demanded from her in a stern tone.

Sam and I both stood still looking each other in the eye; an intense stare begun as the question hung in the air. I heard Sam sigh and she plopped down onto her bed.

"I don't know," she finally answered in a quiet voice. She looked at the floor.

"How can you not know?" I asked her; my voice lowered dramatically. I moved to sit in her desk chair and wheeled it over to sit in front of her.

"I'm not sure," I heard her say. "I mean, when I'm with Joe, I feel it in my heart that what I feel for him is strong. I love him; I'm IN love with him. At leats I think I am in love. I haven't been in love before."

She sighed before continuing.

"When I'm with Joe, the only person who matters is him. It's him that I want to kiss, hug and snuggle with. He and I fit together perfectly."

"But?" I leaned forward resting my elbows on my knees. Sam's eyes found mine.

"But, when its just me and Nick, it's like there's something there too," she sighed again at her admission. "Its not at all as strong as what I feel for Joe. Not even close but, I don't know, maybe its a crush, but it feel like more then that. But what's there is somehow special. Its like Nick knows and understands me in a different way then Joe does."

Sam broke the eye contact and studied her hands that were folded in her lap. So, she did feel something for Nick? I sighed and rubbed my hand across my face. I leaned back in the chair before leaning forward again; wheeling it forward so my knees were nearly touching. She looked up at me again.

"You need to stop stringing Nick along like you're doing," I told her and she nodded. "It's not fair on him. Hug him sure, he's your best friend but the little kisses on the cheek and stuff and the holding hands has to stop. I don't want him getting his hopes up. I don't want him to hurt."

"I understand Kevin," she said softly; nodding. "I'll stop. He'll just be my friend."

I wasn't sure if I believed her completely but the look in her eyes at least told me she was going to try.

"Good," I nodded and wheeled back slightly.

"Good," she responded.

"Okay." I stood up and pushed the chair back in the direction of the desk.

"Thanks kevin, I heard Sam say behind me. I turned to face her. "You're definitely a fantastic brother. Even to little old me."

"No sweat," I wandered back over to Sam and rested my hand on her shoudler. I bent down to look her in the eye. "Just make sure you follow your heart, to which ever of my brothers it leads you."

I stood up straight as Sam nodded. I turned to walk out.

"But don't hurt the other in the process," I added before walking out of the room.

Sam's POV

I flopped back onto my bed and sighed. Kevin was right. I have to figure out what my head and more importantly, my heart wants. I had never had such an intense conversation with Kevin before. He was much more insightful then everyone gives him credit before. Tomorrow starts operation Nick and I, just friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
Big brother Kevin takes control.
What'd you guys think of serious Kevin?
Comment and tell me what you thought?
Please. :)