Australia

Chapter Eighty Nine

Sam's POV

I stood continuing to stare at Nick. He stood them with his hands loosely tucked into his front pockets, avoiding my gaze entirely. In front of me was Nick; of that I was 100% sure. But this Nick wasn't the boy that I had flirted with, not the Nick I held hands with or hugged when noone was looking. This Nick was a man.

"Um, w-wow," I stuttered out.

I trailed my eyes up Nick's body. The converses were a dead give away that it was him. They were scuffed slightly and worn on the right toe. I moved my gaze upwards to the tight black skinny jeans that clung to his legs tightly and hugged his hips. His white v-neck hung loosely across his torso. The black leather jacket was open, but really completed the look. He looked amazing, I'm not going to lie. It was like a full transformation.

I then focused my gaze on his face. His hair had been cut; the curly fro of hair was gone. In its place sat short curls on the top of his head. It was shorter at the sides then at the top. He looked so grown up, so manly. I felt the urge to hug him; instead deciding to continue to stare.

The kitchen door swung open slightly, hitting Nick on the back.

"Oh sorry man. I didn't..." Joe stopped at my side and looked at his brother.

I looked up at Joe and then back at Nick. It was easy to see now that they were related. But Nick didn't look like Joe's younger brother. They could be fraternal twins.

"Wow, bro," Joe said. "Looking good."

He held his hand up and Nick high fived him. The slapping broke me out of my trance.

"Yeah Nick," I nodded, swallowing. "You look great."

"Thanks guys," he gushed.

Nicks POV

Having Sam stare at me was incomfortable but I also enjoyed it. Having her attention was important and worth the hours in had taken for me to change my appearance. I had missed her looking at me, smiling at me. Even if it was staring, it still meant something.

Even now, after the both had voiced their opinions on my appearance, Sam continued to look at me. I felt her eyes burning holes into my abdomen. I pulled at the shirt that clung there and watched her blush. She knew she had been caught.

"Nicholas," mum's voice came from behind Joe.

"Mum," I smiled at her. "What do you think?"

I ran my hand through my new shorter hair.

"It's a change," she told me. "But, for the positive. I really like it. You look a lot more your age."

"Thanks mum," I fought the blush creeping onto my face.

"Speaking of age," Joe interjected. "What's the plans for your birthday?

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Can we just do dinner at home? I'm not fussed."

"What ever you want," mum smiled warmly at me. "It's not everyday that you turn 16."

"Yeah," I nodded and moved to my seat at the table. I pulled my jacket off and hung it over back of my chair.

Sam sat across from me. I could feel her eyes still on me. Joe sat beside her. I finally took the chance and looked Sam in the eye. Her eyes were full of wonder and surprise. I shrugged one shoulder and she smiled at me. I felt myself melt. I returned her smile and she smiled wider.

"Nice hair cut bro," Kevins voice chimed from the doorway. I looked up to see him and my father making their way into the dining aread.

"Thank you," I gushed at the attention I was receiving.

"Very nice, son," my dad added.

I nodded in thanks to my father and mum served up the dinner.

The dinner was filled with casual chatter about our days. I told a brief story about what I had done; including the hair cut, the shopping and even my fruit salad I had for lunch. The all nodded and smiled as I finished my story. It felt weird being the centre of attention for once.

Kevin, Frankie and dad excused themselves from the table, leaving Joe, Sam and I alone. I stood up and collected the plates from the table.

"I'm going to take a shower," Joe announced.

"Thanks for sharing," I chuckled at my brother.

"You're welcome," he grinned at me before placing a kiss on Sams head.

"Enjoy," she told him as he left the room.

Sam stood also and stacked the remaining plates. We carried them into the kitchen silently and rinsed them off. I loaded the dishwasher before turning and leaning against it. Sam leaned against the sink sipping a glass of water.

"Sam," I broke the silence. "Can we, talk?"

She looked up at me before gazing around aimlessly. I guess she was searching for a reason tot not talk to me.

"Yeah," she finally replied, shocking me. "We can talk."

"Treehouse?" I offered.

"Treehouse," she agreed smiling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nick's appearance really did seem to happen over night.
I'll post a before and after shot when I'm next on the computer.
Comments?
What do you think?