Australia

Chapter Ninety One

My birthday had dragged on slowly. I was served pancakes and orange juice for breakfast, got given some awesome presents from my brothers and mum and dad. But I had got nothing from Sam. She didn’t give me anything. It also seemed that my conversation with Sam the other night had had no affect on her at all. Except for a ‘happy birthday’ and warm smile this morning she hadn’t spoken to me. Instead she had practically attached herself to Joe the whole time, and looked like a completely lost puppy when she excused himself to the bathroom or helped mum with my cake.

I watched as Sam helped mum clear up the dessert plates. I stayed sitting at the table; Joe sat across from me. I wanted to talk to her about what we spoke about the other night. I had to ask her if it had made any impact at all and why she was still ignoring me.

“I think I’m going to go to bed early,” Sam announced to my mother, Joe and I.

“Alright,” Joe smiled at her. “I’ll walk you upstairs.”

“No no,” she told him, resting her hand on his shoulder. “I’ll manage.”

“Okay,” he smiled again. “Goodnight babe.”

“Goodnight baby,” she leaned down and kissed him on the mouth. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Sam made her way out of the room and I watched her go. She looked over her shoulder at me before disappearing through the door.

“Actually, I think I’ll turn in too,” I told the room. “Night.”

I stood quickly and walked out of the room. I made my way up the stairs two at a time. I wanted to catch Sam and talk to her. As I made it to the top of the stairs I saw Sam shut her bedroom door. I sighed and made my way to my own room.

I had every intention on throwing myself onto my bed and going straight to sleep; anything to take my mind off everything. But my plans were changed when I spotted a box small box sitting on the end of my bed. I wandered over slowly; looking around for someone to jump out at me. My paranoia was short lived. Underneath the box was an envelope. I pulled the envelope out from under the box and looked at it.

Nicholas was scrawled across the front of it. I recognised Sam’s handwriting immediately. I sat down beside the box on my bed and pulled the envelope open. I unfolded the piece of paper inside and started to read.

Dear Nick,

First off, happy birthday. The big one six. Do you feel old? You should feel old; although, you're not as old as me. Don’t forget to check for grey hairs now. (This is where I laugh awkwardly because of how lame that was).

Anyway. Obviously I couldn't get you what you asked for. It would be pretty awesome to have the power to freeze time though and live out a moment as many times as you want. If I had the power to gift wrap the moment from last night and hand it to you in a velvet box I would, but unfortunately I'm not able to.

Since I couldn't get you a moment in time, I tried to capture a moment with time. Open the box that came with this letter. Inside you'll find a watch. I know your old one got damaged on tour in Australia.


I put down the letter on my bed momentarily and picked up the box. I lifted the lid off the box and placed it beside me. I picked back up the letter and continued reading; holding the letter in one hand and the box in the other.

As you can see, the face is made out like a night sky with the moon in the top left hand corner. The small black figure in the bottom right corner beneath the five is a little girl. It symbolises me. Remember the story I told you that night; the day we spent together. The story about me being fascinated by space and wanting to be an astronaut when I was little. I figured that that moment was a special moment between us and because I can't capture the moment for real, I thought I'd provide something to symbolise it.

I gazed at the watch. It was absolutely beautiful. I had asked for a moment in time for my birthday and that was exactly what she gave me. I turned my focus back to the letter.

Why does everything have to be so difficult? Why does life throw you one curveball after another and you just can't help but be side swiped or knocked down completely by it. Why can't be stay suspended in one particular moment that provides uplifting feelings and an overwhelming sensation of complete perfection?

What I'm trying to say Nick is that I wish that I could tell you how I really feel about you and that those feelings weren't complicated.

But, I'm in love with your brother and that's all that matters. I hope you like the watch.

Happy birthday Nicky.

Love, Sammy.
xo


I stared at the words on the page.

What I'm trying to say Nick is that I wish that I could tell you how I really feel about you

What’d she mean? Feelings for me? I shook my head and dropped the letter beside me. I pulled the watch out of the box carefully and pulled it onto my wrist. It looked good on my wrist. I picked the letter up again and read it over and over. I stood up. I had to find out.

I stalked to her room and opened the door without knocking. She whipped round and stared at me with wide eyes. She crossed her arms across her singlet clad chest. I pushed the door closed with my foot and walked closer to her.

“What do you mean by this?” I demanded shaking the letter in her direction.

"Nothing,” she replied; biting her lip.

“You're lying,” I accused. “Tell me. What do you mean by how you really feel?”

Sam looked up at me and let her arms drop to her sides. Her eyes clouded over with sadness. She took a few steps and closed the gap between us. She lifted her right hand and slid it softly onto my cheek. Her eyes met mine and she blinked slowly before leaning up kissing me on the lips softly. She pulled away shortly after. She averted her eyes and dropped her hand to my chest and pushed me gently backwards. She leaned around me and pulled the door open and shoved me through it. I stood in her doorway as she closed the door slowly in my face. I stared at the closed door.

I reached up and touched my lips. The burning sensation hadn’t stopped. I turned around and walked back to my room and lay down on my bed; careful not to wake up Frankie. I wasn’t sure if I should be happy or confused by what had happened. But it proved one thing to me; she felt the same as I do.

Sam’s POV

I leaned against my bedroom door and slid down it onto the floor. I leaned my head against the white washed wood behind me. What had I done? I sighed and reached up; turning off my light with the tip of my finger.

“Happy birthday Nick,” I whispered into the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, yeah.
i don't really know where this chapter came from. I had the sudden urge for Sam to tell Nick how she felt in the simplest way possible.
Comments?
What'd you think?