Australia

Chapter Ninety Six

Sam’s POV

I felt my mouth fall open and my eyes grew wide at Tash’s admission. What did she say? She’s dating a girl?

“Wait, what?” I half whispered.

I was shocked. Tash is probably the straightest girl I had ever met. Hearing this come from her was seriously messing with my head.

“I’m not dating a guy,” Tash continued to look at me from under her fringe. I could see how unsure she was about telling me anymore.

“I got that from the “Its not a he,” I shook my head. “Where’d you meet, her?”

“I met her at Uni,” Tash answered, looking up a little. “Her names Michelle and she’s taking Music 1 with me.”

“How’d you meet her?” I tilted my head, trying to feign interest.

“In the cafeteria; as cliché as that sounds,” Tash looked up completely with a smile on her face. “I was sitting eating my salad sandwich reading my text book and she just walked up and asked if she could sit with me. We got to talking and she asked me out for coffee.”

“You don’t drink coffee,” I said.

“Things change,” she replied. “The coffee date turned into a lunch then a dinner.”

I responded with a non-committed hum in the back of my throat.

“You don’t have a problem with this do you?” Tash asked.

“Yeah, I mean, no. Of course I don’t” I closed my mouth; pressing my lips into a straight line. “But, it’s just, you’ve always been into guys.”

“Things change,” she told me and crossed her arms across her chest.

“As you keep saying,” i sighed. “How long have you been seeing her?”

Her name is Michelle, and I’ve been seeing her since July,” she said; leaning back against the tree.

“Three months?” I asked after a quick calculation. “Three months and you didn’t tell me?”

“I could say the same to you, Miss “I’m practically betrothed to Joe Jonas,” she tilted her head to the side; her expression annoyed.

I scoffed and turned my head away from her. I hadn’t had a disagreement with Tash in years. I watched her stand up and start to walk away from me; in the direction of the house. I sighed and stood up myself walking after her.

“Tash, wait up,” I shouted into the breeze.

“Why?” she shouted in reply.

“Please,” I begged and she stopped turning around to face me. I stopped a short distance from her.

“I could have not told you, you know,” she told me. “I could’ve gone home without telling you about Michelle. But I didn’t because I thought you would understand.”

“I do understand,” I yelled back. “This is just a shock to me, that’s all.”

“Yeah, well, finding out that my best friend since kindergarten has promised herself to Joe at 18 was a shock to me, but you didnt see me being all negative towards it.”

“That’s different.”

“Yes it is. It’s a much bigger deal then me dating someone, Sam. I shouldn’t have told you.” Tash turned back around and continued walking.

“No. I’m glad you did tell me,” I yelled after her. “I’m just annoyed that you haven’t told me sooner.”

“You have got to be kidding me!” she screamed at me, spinning around to face me. “You haven’t so much as emailed me in the three freaking months you’ve been here and you’re annoyed with me for not telling you about me dating Michelle. You have no right to be annoyed with me. If anything I should be annoyed with you. You’re supposed to be my best friend, Sam and you’ve just dropped me like a hot sack of shit.”

“Things change,” I mocked her earlier statement;

Her face dropped and she pinched the bridge of her nose with her fingers.

“You know what, whatever,” she turned again.

I sighed and walked after her. I really put my foot in it that time.
♠ ♠ ♠
A bunch of dialogue.
Sam overreacted, she's not usually so mean.
Comments?