Australia

Chapter Ninety Seven

 Sam’s POV

“So, how long have you and Sam known each other, Natasha?” Denise asked her in a sweet voice.

We all sat around the dinner table. I sat between Joe and Frankie; opposite Tash who sat between Kevin and Nick.

 “We’ve known each other since practically kindergarten,” she answered. “So, about 14 years.”

 “Wow,” Kevin exclaimed with a mouth full of mash potato. I stole a glance at him and he swallowed. "That's a long time."

 "Yeah," Tash smiled slightly. "You want to hear the story of how we became best friends?"

 "Oh, this will be good," Joe grinned.

 I glanced around the table; everyone was paying attention to Tash.

 "Okay well, it was the second day of kindergarten," she started. "I remember sitting in the little blue chairs in my freshly painted classroom; at a table with a few kids. I remember the smell of the iron aid on my blouse and how itchy my white knee socks were. But the main thing I remember was looking around the room at the other faces and seeing a small girl sitting on a chair by herself on the opposite side of the room. She was staring at her new leather buckle up shoes and playing with the hem of the ugly maroon skirt we had to wear. She had a head full of curls and a barbie backpack. I thought she looked nice."

Tash met my eye and smiled softly. I dropped my gaze to my plate and pushed around my peas with my fork. I felt so guilty about my reaction to her dating news. I mean, so what if she was dating a girl; so what if she was bisexual? She was still my Tash; best mates since we were five.

"So, I got up and wandered over to her," Tash continued. "My own leather buckle ups were a little too big so they clacked on the carpet. I remember standing right in front of Sammy and staring at her until she looked up at me."

 She laughed casually.

"I remember the look of shock on her face when she caught me staring at her," she lifted her glass and sipped her water. "I then held out my hand and she shook it and I said "my names Tash. You're my new best friend. Is that okay?"

"Aww!," Kevin exclaimed loudly. "That's so cute."

"That's a sweet story, Tash," Nick smiled at her.

"Sam looked me in the eye and simply said "will it be for always?' and I nodded," Tash smiled at the memory. "After that, we were inseparable."

"Yeah," I finally spoke causing everyone to look at me. "Remember when we had that silly fight in like, year 1 and you kept following me around."

"Yes," Tash smiled. "And you were like "why are you following me?"

"And you said, "because, I said for always,"" I smiled back.

"You two are too cute!" Kevin said, standing up and picking up the dirty plates. Denise followed his actions; helping him.

The conversation continued between Tash and I, with the occasional input from Joe, Nick or Kevin. Frankie got bored and went to play a game in his room. We reminisced about past camps and excursions, stupid sleepover dares and boy problems we had. Joe had simply laced his fingers through mine and told me that'd never happen again. My heart plummeted to the pit of my stomach.

"I think I'm going to bed," I told them all, smiling. "I'm tired. There’s been way too much excitement today."

"Alright," Tash replied. "I'll head up too."

We all stood and made our way upstairs, Nick retreating to the bathroom and Kevin to call Danielle and wish her goodnight. Tash walked into my bedroom, leaving me standing with Joe in the hallway.

"Thank you again, Joe," I smiled up at him. "I really needed this."

"You're welcome," he smiled back before leaning down and pressing a kiss on my lips.

"You sleep well," I whispered against his mouth and he kissed me again.

"You too, beautiful," he hugged me quickly. "I love you."

"I love you too," I replied.

The embrace ended and I walked to my bedroom. Tash was already sitting on the bed in her pyjamas. I smiled awkwardly at her and changed into my pyjamas myself. I watch Tash lie down under the blankets; on the outside of the bed. I clambered in beside her and lay down as well; facing the wall, our backs to each other.

We lay in silence for a while. I stared at the wall in front of me. I sighed. I needed to apologise.

"Tash, I'm sorry," I whispered. "I'm sorry I reacted the way I did. It was rude and uncalled for."

"You can say that again," she whispered back to me.

"Tash, I'm sorr," I began.

"I was kidding you idiot," she laughed softly.

The bed dipped slightly and I heard her roll over. I rolled over to face her.

"I really am sorry Tash," I told her. "I mean, it was a shock but I shouldn't have taken it so negatively."

"Its alright," she smiled. "I didn't expect you to jump for joy immediately. But I'd thought you'd understand; you know, given that whole crush you had on me a few years back."

"I understand now," I smiled.

"Speaking of which, does Joe know about that?" tash asked.

"No," I shook my head. "Nick does though. But, its not like I've been attracted to any girl since then. I'm sure I'm straight. Unlike someone."

Tash grinned at me.

"So, explain to me again how you met Michelle," I resquested, propping myself up with my elbow.

"Only if you tell me about how became promised ot Joseph Jonas!" Tash mimicked my position.

"Deal," I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Things are good between Sam and Tash again.
The girls meeting and becoming best friends thing is actually inspired by how me and my best mate Michelle became friends. True story. :)
Comments?