Status: Completed.

Such a Typical Thing

Promise the Stars

Would you risk some broken bones just to call this place home? This could be home;

With a coffee mug poised in my hands, I stared down at my phone on the table. I took a long sip, trying to decide exactly what to do and say.

I sighed, staring longingly at the door to the bedroom where Danny was still asleep. I was very tempted to scrap this entire plan and return to the warmth of Danny's bed and arms.

The three weeks that I'd been in Michigan were pure bliss. We rarely left the house and when we did, it was only in search of food. The only person who knew I was here was Oakleigh, and she was all the way across the country.

Pushing my thoughts aside, I set my mug down and grabbed my phone. I dialed a familiar number, and held the phone to my ear.

Soon enough, a familiar voice answered.

"Hey, sis," Matt said on the other end of the line. I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Hey, Matty," I said happily.

"What's up?" he asked, soundin skeptical. "You never call me."

"Uhm, when are you seeing Mom and Dad next?"

"Not sure. They mentioned something about dinner sometime this week."

"Well, can I tell you something?"

"Shoot."

"I'm not at school, Matt. I'm in Michigan," I confessed, letting out a sigh.

"With Danny?" he clarified.

"Yeah."

"Well," Matt said in response, sounding perplexed. "I take it Mom and Dad don't know?"

"No. I've been trying to get up the nerve to call and tell them, but I know it won't be pretty," I said, taking a drink of coffee.

"Yeah, they won't be happy."

"Matt, did I do the wrong thing?" I asked after a period of silence.

"Rems, I don't know."

"Did I make a mistake by coming here? It's a simple question!"

"Remy, do you love him?" he asked after sighing.

"Yes."

"And has he said that he loves you?"

"Again, yes."

"Then it wasn't a mistake, and it wasn't the wrong thing. Mom and Dad aren't going to like that you're there, but you're twenty years old, an adult. They can't force you to come home. You're a big girl, Remy, you can make your own decisions."

I sighed, resting my forehead against my hand. "Okay, thanks Matty."

"I love you, kid," he said with a sigh of his own. "And call Mom and
Dad. It'll make you feel better."

"I love you too, Matt," I said hanging up. I set my phone, screen down on the table and downed the rest of my coffee. I looked at the clock on the microwave and realized just how early it really was. It was barely 7:30. I put my empty mug in the sink, and walked quickly back to the bedroom, shivering slightly.

The bedroom was nearly pitch black and much warmer than the rest of the house. I walked around to my side of the bed and slid under the blankets. Danny groaned quietly, pulling me to him.

He kissed my shoulder and grumbled, "Where'd you go, sweetheart?"

"I got some coffee and made a phone call," I whispered to him, rolling over to face him.

"To who?" Danny asked, sounding awake all of a sudden.

"To Matt."

"Is he pissed?"

"He seemed okay with it," I said with a shrug. "I'm going to call my parents later today."

Danny simply nodded, tightening his arm around my waist.

"Are you okay with that?" I asked quietly. He sighed before pressing his lips together. "You look cute when you do that." The corners of his mouth upturned and I leaned forward and kissed him softly.

"Rems?" he said, his face very close to mine.

"Yeah?"

"I love you," he said, kissing me again.

"I know, and I love you too, but I have to call my parents."

"What if they make you come home?" he asked, sounding nervous.

"I'll find a way around it," I assured him, running a hand through his hair, causing it to stand up even more. I giggled quietly.

"What is it?" he asked, frowning in confussion.

"Your hair," I commented, toying with it further.

"You're not helping," he said, stiffling a yawn. Burying my face in his neck, I yawned as well.

"I think it's time to get up," I told him, patting his chest softly.

He groaned. "What if I don't want to?"

I shrugged in response. "Well, I'm going to take a shower. You could use one too, so it'd only make sense if we conserved water."

He sat up rather quickly and kissed my cheek. "Give me five minutes."

"What'd they say?" Danny asked two hours later when I left the bedroom, phone in hand. I wiped my eyes and tried to give him a smile. "Come here."

Biting down on my lip, I complied, walking to him. He slid down onto the couch, pulling me into his lap. I sighed, burying my face in his neck. Absentmindedly, my finger traced the lines of the tattoos on his upper arm. He stroked my hair soothingly, sending me into a state of semi-consciousness.

I woke up twenty minutes later to find Danny still awake, staring dead ahead.

"I love you," I murmered quietly.

"I love you too, Rems," he assured me. "What's the verdict?"

"They aren't happy. At all. Mom said she was going to cut me off, but Dad kind of outruled that."

"They aren't making you go home, are they?" he asked, sounding very nervous.

"No. They knew that if they did, I'd just run again at the first chance I had."

"Oh, thank God," he whispered, kissing the top of my head.

"I'm here to stay, babe," I said quietly with a smile.

SIX MONTHS LATER

Wiping my brow with the back of my forearm, I turned off the faucet. Despite the fact that I was in only a tank top and cut off shorts, having my hands submerged in hot soapy water in ninety degree weather made you run hot. I shook my hair out, wishing I hadthought to put it up. Drying my hands on a towel, I walked to the door.

I swung it open and smiled at the sight on the other side.

"This is the last box," Danny said triumphantly, holding the box up.

"Now that's what I'm talking about," I joked, pulling him to me and kissing his cheek. "You're just going to have to find a spot to put it, if you can."

"I think the only space we have left is our little paths we set up," he commented as we looked at the sea of boxes that was our new living room.

"Well, one of the boxes is about to get a second story," I said with shrug, returning to the kitchen.

"Want some help?" he asked, joining me at the sink.

"You can help by turning the AC up, then you can dry if you want," I offered, putting a clean towel on the opposite side of the counter for him.

"Your wish is my command," he said theatrically before heading over to the thermostat.

"You should really call Home Depot and check if that dishwasher is in yet. I'm tired of doing dishes by hand."

"I will tomorrow," he said, pushing up his sleeves.

"That's what you said yesterday." I sighed, plunging my hands back into the hot water. We finished the dishes in silence and ordered take out, neither of us wanting to worry about doing more dishes.

We'd been in the house for two weeks and barely anything was in it's right place. Our bed was set up, as was the sofa and tv. The cable company wasn't coming until the next week, so we only had movies to watch. Boxes were everywhere and we were living out of suitcases.

"Rems?" he asked, a few hours later.

We were sitting on the sofa, my feet in his lap. I was leaning back, my eyes growing heavier by the second.

"Hmm?" I responded, barely opening my eyes.

"Time for bed?" he suggested and I nodded, sitting up slightly. He offered me a hand and pulled me up. We walked down the narrow hallway together, his arm around my shoulders.

We changed quickly in the same room. I simply kicked down my shorts and pulled on an old t-shirt while Danny stripped to his boxers and pulled on a pair of sweatpants.

I crawled into bed, letting out a deep breath as he flipped off the light. He crawled in next to me, pulling me to him.

"I love you," he said into my hair as he kissed the top of my head.

"I love you too, babe," I told him, my eyes already shut.

"Are you happy?" he asked a bit later as I was clinging to consciousness.

"What do you mean?" I sighed, my eyes opening again.

"Here in LA. I know we haven't exactly settled in yet, but it's a work in progress. Eventually, this will be home," he explained, shrugging lightly.

"Of course I'm happy, Danny," I said, kissing the bare skin of his shoulder lightly. "I'm with you, so that's really all that matters."

"It just seems like you've been upset lately. We've been arguing a lot and we never argue. We haven't had sex in days," he said, adding extra emphasis on the last statement.

"Danny, I've just been tired and stressed, that's it. I'm happy, I promise," I assured him, nuzzling my face in his neck.

"I just feel like everything's changed since we moved out here." He sighed loudly, scooting closer to me.

"It has, baby. We moved together, into a house that we both decided on. It's a big step, and I'm glad we made it. I'm just so tired all the time because of the heat and the stress of unpacking. I'm happy, I'm with you, everything is perfect."

"Are you sure?"

"How often do I lie to you?"

"Never, I hope," he guessed with a laugh.

"Exactly, now just let me sleep baby," I pleaded.

"Okay, okay," he said softly, kissing me softly. I giggled quietly as he kissed along my jaw.

"Danny, don't make me put my pants on," I teased, scooting away from him, or at least trying to.

"C'mon babe," he pleaded, kissing along my neck. "It's been five days."

I laughed, pushing him away. "In the morning, I promise."

He sighed, kissing me again. "I'm going to hold you to that."

"I know you will. Sex in a few hours, sleep now," I instructed, and we did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title and lyrics courtesy of We the Kings.

Well guys, this is the end.
Sorry it took three months, but I got really caught up in my other story. (Count Me the Hours.)
Personally, I didn't like the way this ended, but I don't know.

I'd like to thank my readers that have been with me since the beginning of this, back in December. For those of you who commented on every single chapter, I love you so much. :)

Please comment. :)

I've started a new Barakat story which will be posted soon.
What She Never Learned.