How Do We Pick Ourselves up Now?

12

"Your mom called me as soon as she got the called from the police," Oliver said.

"And I came home," he added.

"Oh wow, my mom knows Oliver Sykes, wonder why she never said anything," she said tilting her head to the side.

Oliver gaped at her, his eyes as wide as saucers. This could not be happening, he hadn't lost her physically but he had lost her mentally. He looked down at his lap, sighing unhappily. A small, cold hand placed itself onto his making him look up. Amelia had a somber look on her face as she stared at him. He gave her a questioning look.

"Why are you so down?" She asked.

He closed his eyes slowly and breathed out before shaking his head. With the intent of getting out of the hospital and calling her mother he stood up from her bed. As he turned to leave he felt a tug on the back of his shirt, and a confused looking Amelia staring up at him almost disparately.

"What?" He asked.

"W-where are you going?" She said.

He stared at her strangely before saying, "I have to go make some calls."

As soon as she blinked he was gone, and a strong feeling of longing stretch through her chest painfully. She sat back, fidgeting with her hands and came across a very interesting find on one of her fingers. A beautiful ring piece was placed on her left hand on the finger that everyone calls 'the ring finger'. The diamonds sparkled every time she moved her hand around to examine it.

When did I get married? She thought to herself.

Something else came to her as she thought about where she might have gotten the beautiful ring on her finger, and gasped when she came to the conclusion that maybe that was the reason why Oliver Sykes was in her room talking to her like he'd know her for years.

She sighed as she threw her head back onto her pillow. A noise at the door caught her attention and she smiled at her mom as she walked over to her.

"Hey sweetie," she said.

"Hi mom," was her reply.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"I'm good actually, when can I get back to school?" Amelia asked

Mrs.Jenkins blinked slowly, not knowing what to say to her daughter.

"H-honey you don't go to school anymore," she said.

"What do you mean? I haven't even graduated yet!" She exclaimed.

"You...you graduated five years ago," she said slowly.

"What!?" Amelia said sitting up quickly.

Mrs.Jenkins could only nod in response to Amelia's outburst. Amelia shook her head not believing she'd graduated five years ago. That would have to mean that she was twenty-three or twenty-four even!

"Honey...look at your arms," her mother said.

Amelia took a look at her arms expecting to see cuts and bruises all over, but what she saw instead were colors drawn into her arms. She furrowed her eyebrows when she saw the ink drawings on her arms.

"When the hell did I get these?" She asked.

"A couple of years ago," she said.

Amelia looked down at the ring on her finger and was hit full on with something she assumed was from the past. When the moment was over she blinked confusedly.

"You..you put me into an arranged marriage?" Amelia asked looking up at her mom with a strange expression.

"When you were eighteen yes," she said.

"Mommy!" A small boys voice exclaimed.

"Davey no!" A familiar voice scolded.

A little boy appeared who looked almost exactly like Oliver appeared and Oliver appeared behind him. Before the small boy could get into the room anymore Oliver scooped him up and held him. He gave Amelia an awkward smile before turning to her mom.

"I should probably get him home," he said.

Mrs.Jenkins sighed and looked at him sadly, nodding. Amelia felt helpless as she watched him leave, out of her sight. She looked down at her lap, willing herself to remember. Not for her, but for him too because he seemed to be effected by this horribly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh yes, I just did that.