Only You Could Love Me This Way

Boyfriend?

I was outside sitting on my porch. My feet were propped up on the white railing and my eyes locked on my curly handwriting. I told my mother I would write her letters, she said for me to just call, but I didn't want to. My mother would ramble for hours if I just called her. However when she did call, I would talk to her for an hour or two.

"Good morning Lauren!" Sue Clearwater shouted from her car. She climbed out and walked across the yard. I folded up the letter I was writing and stood up to give her a hug. Sue smiled at me and we hugged for a few moments. "Seth tells me you and Paul are getting kinda close." She gave me a sly smirk and I giggled lightly.

"We're just good friends." I smiled and Sue laughed lightly.

"Not what I'm told." She said and I bit my lower lip nervously. Sue chuckled at my expression; I was feeling a blush coming onto my face.

"Aha, well what have you been told?" I asked her and she raised an eyebrow at me.

"Why don't we go inside and talk over some tea?" she asked me and I instantly became nervous. I was going to kill Seth for spreading rumors about Paul and me. We never said we were boyfriend and girlfriend. We weren't dating! Now I had to know the rumors, so I agreed to tea. Sue gestured for me to follow and we went over to Charlie's house. He wasn't home though, thankfully.

"So who's spreading rumors?" I questioned as we walked through the front door. Sue lead me to the kitchen, the house was really clean. I was surprised, but then again Sue had been coming over a lot lately. Her and Charlie were definitely being romantic with each other. Now they should be the talk of the town not Paul and I.

"Rumors?" she laughed. "Let's talk about your boyfriend." Sue said and I turned bright red as I took a seat at the table. Covering my face I tried not to start giggling, but a few escaped my lips. Sue put out to glass and smiled at me. Removing my hand from my face I saw her starting to make the tea.

"He's not my boyfriend." I told her.

"No, I mean all the rumors seem to say that he is," Sue explained as she pulled out a chair sitting across from me. I drummed my hands on the table out of nervousness. "Jacob said you guys were close, Sam and Emily too, Seth told me about the dinner. I mean everyone can see it, even Miranda was gabbing about it last night." Sue explained to me and I laughed a bit more shaking my head. This was so funny to me, so we went on a date or two that doesn't mean we're dating.

"Well I guess I can see where you're coming from." I shrugged rubbing the back of my neck.

"Well we can all see that." She laughed and I just smiled at her letting out a small chuckle letting my head fall between my shoulders. Sue brushed her hair behind her ear and stared at me for a moment. I lifted my gaze and met her accusing eyes and I started to giggle again.

"Yeah." I smiled biting on my fingernail.

"So Paul, huh? Well he's sweet right?" she asked and I covered my face with my hands hoping to hide my blush. It had to be so bad because my cheeks were really hot. Another laugh escaped me and Sue raised an eyebrow as I let my hands drop. "So he's your boyfriend, come on." Sue said simply.

"No!" I defended and Sue snickered while pouring the iced tea into my glass. "I'm just giggling cause it's funny and I'm a giggler." I explained myself, but in all honesty it was my reaction when people pointed things out to me that I didn't really notice. Running my fingers through my hair I tried to compose myself. I flattened out my t-shirt and crossed my legs.

"No, I don't think that’s it," Sue said and I looked down at the table. Grabbing the cup of tea I took a quick sip. "So how long have you two been dating?" she asked me and I laughed once again, but stopped it short. It felt like I was on a talk show or being integrated by the police for some horrendous crime.

"Uh, we've only been friends for like three weeks now." I shrugged sitting up straight in my chair.

"Three weeks?" she asked.

"Yes." I nodded my head and Sue smiled at me.

"Uh-huh, but how long have you been dating?" she asked and I pressed my lips together firmly not wanting to laugh or giggle anymore.

"What?" I asked licking my lips and Sue rolled her eyes.

"Dating." She said and I let out a small laugh and cleared my throat pretending it was only a cough. I uncrossed my legs and laid my arms out on the table. She just stared at me and once again I started to laugh and let my head fall forward a bit. Just before my head hit the table I tossed my head back up. Sue gave me a weird look and then I took in a deep breath. "Well are you guys doing anything tonight?" she asked me.

"Uh, not that I know of." I responded with a shrug and fixed up my hair a bit.

"So tell me what you think about him?" she asked and I looked around the room for a moment. Sue really wanted a straight answer out of me. Well no, she wanted me to say we were dating. However I wasn't sure what Paul and I were. Friends, more than friends, I don't know.

"Well he's really nice, he's sweet, cute, and funny," I listed off and Sue's smile brightened. "Paul's a genuinely good guy, with a bit of a temper, but that's okay." I laughed lightly and Sue nodded her head to me.

"So you have a boyfriend that's great." She concluded and I dropped my head onto the table. Letting out a small chuckle I sat back up and smiled at her shaking my head. Sue laughed at me and I shrugged my shoulders.

"I dunno." I told her and Sue nodded her head.

"Do you want him to be?" she asked me and I let my mouth open slowly. My eyes drifted down to the glass of my drink. He was a good guy and dating him would be kind of nice.

"I, uh, maybe." I said with a weak smile and shrug.

"Well then there you have it." She said.

"I said maybe, not yes." I told her.

"But by all those giggles and smiles, it's pretty obvious." Sue pointed out and once again I sputtered a laugh shaking my head. Now that she knew the entire town and reservation would know about this. There wouldn't be anyone who wouldn't know about this.

"I guess it is." I smiled and Sue laughed lightly sipping on her tea.