Only You Could Love Me This Way

Confusion

"Paul stop!" Jacob shouted running out of the forest. I whirled around seeing him coming to a complete stop. He was shirtless and panting heavily. A moment later a light gray wolf emerged from the foggy forest. Thunder rumbled in the distance and I looked back at the dark gray wolf as it roared in rage and anger. "Lauren come here." Jacob gestured for me to hurry over to him. I hesitated at first, but made my way over to him.

When I got over to him a sandy-brown wolf walked out next. He whined slightly and I stared at him. Jacob put me behind him and looked at the dark gray wolf that shook his head and quickly ran into the forest.

"Don't." Jacob commanded and the sandy-brown wolf that was about to follow stopped. He sighed softly and turned to look at me, none of this was making any sense. "I'll take her home, tell Sam." Jacob told the two wolves standing behind me. He looked back at me and I gave him a worried look.

"What's going on? Why did you call that wolf Paul? Can you talk to wolves? Jacob?" I asked him so many questions and he sighed heavily. He turned me around heading back for the road and I realized the two massive wolves that were here just a moment ago were long gone. "Stop, no please. What the hell is going on?" I snapped at him moving away. He took Paul's shoes and his shirt and sighed softly.

"It's complicated." Jacob explained seeming a bit irritated.

"Then make it simple." I told him coolly.

"I can't, look let's get you home before it starts raining." Jacob said pulling on my arm, but I quickly jerked it away. He sighed softly and looked into my eyes. I shook my head trying to understand why he couldn't just tell me. "Lauren, please don't." Jacob begged softly, but I shook my head once again stepping back from him.

"I'm confused here." I told him and he sighed running his hands over his face and then through his hair. It seemed like he wanted to explain, but some invisible force was keeping him from explaining. Before I could speak again Jacob covered my mouth and I glared at him.

"Look I will explain, but not now. Now is just not the right time," Jacob said slowly removing his hand, but I wasn't going to accept that answer. I was going to talk again, but once again he covered my mouth and I rolled my eyes. "Look you come with me, I'll explain. But not a word about this at all to anyone." Jacob said making a deal with me. His hand remained over my mouth and I nodded slowly.

Thanking me he removed his hand and we started walking back through the forest to the road. Why couldn't he just tell me now? What would the difference be if we were somewhere else? If he was looking to tell me somewhere more private then he was crazy, what could be more private than a meadow in the middle of a forest?

_____

"I thought you were taking me home." I said to Jacob as we came to a small-secluded house far away from everything. He turned around and looked to me, but just before he could say anything the sandy-brown wolf from before trotted out from the trees. Jacob looked at the wolf that stood level with his chest.

"You wanted to know the truth," Jacob said placing a gentle hand on the sandy-brown wolf's face. He looked over at me and scratched the wolf's head. "Well you're going to find out." He started walking towards the house and the wolf stared at me for a moment before running back into the forest.

"So now you'll tell me what's going on?" I asked following after Jacob. He opened the sliding glass doors and walked inside. Rolling my eyes I followed him inside and stopped upon seeing Jared and Sam standing beside Paul who was sitting down on the couch. They all looked at me and Jacob sighed softly before shutting the glass doors.

"Lauren, you might want to sit down." Emily spoke walking out of the kitchen. I looked at her for a moment and then back at the four boys across from me.

"No." I responded shaking my head.

"She doesn't want this." Paul muttered and I looked at him. Was he talking about me? Sam looked down at him and seethed slightly while Jared stared at Sam in question. Jacob licked his lips turning to me and gestured for me to sit, but I still refused.

"Are you talking about me?" I asked him and his gaze lifted to meet my eyes. "What don't I want?" he shook his head and stood up from the couch. Paul looked a bit shaky at the moment like he didn't know what to do with himself. Running a hand over his face he turned to me.

"Me." He responded and I was a bit confused by that. He was right though I didn't really want him, but what was he saying? Paul shook his head and clenched his fist tightly together. His eyes met mine once again and I felt this pull. A feeling that told me to walk up to him and hug him. But why did that feeling come to me? Maybe it was motherly instinct because he seemed so upset that I wanted him to feel better. Then I looked even further into it. Why would I want to comfort a stranger?

"Paul just tell her." Sam commanded, but Paul shook his head.

"No." Paul muttered and I glared at him.

"Tell me what?" I snapped.

"Paul." Sam growled, but Paul looked at him and shook his head once again. Jacob and Jared remained silent and Emily walked away heading back into the kitchen. Wolves, Paul, and something they needed to tell me. Did this mean that Paul was a wolf? Had he been that gray one that almost attacked, but stopped when Jacob told him to? That couldn't be possible.

"She's going to find out one way or the other, so just tell her." Sam spoke.

"Lauren!" Emily shouted as I bolted from the house. This was crazy and I wasn't about to be caught it the middle of it. I came here to escape my past and find a new future, but this future was out of control. I stumbled over my own feet, but caught myself before I fell onto the muddy Earth. Paul obviously didn't want to say anything to me, but there was a secret. However I wouldn't force him to tell me and I honestly didn't want to know anymore.

My feet carried me far and fast, but it wouldn't be long before I ran out of energy. All I wanted was to get home and lay on my bed pretending this was all a dream. Deep down inside though it was apparent this wasn't a dream, but a confusing reality.

"Lauren!" I heard someone calling my name as I slowed to a walk. "Lauren!" it was Sam. He stopped me from walking, but I pulled away from him and turned around. His eyes locked with mine and I shook my head looking down at the road. It was drizzling and it wouldn't be long before it started a heavy down pour.

"If he doesn't want to tell me he doesn't have to." I said to him, but Sam shook his head not agreeing with that statement. Not that I really cared, I wouldn't go back there. If Paul wanted to talk to me then he could come after me himself.

"Please come back." Sam said, but I shook my head refusing to cooperate with him.

"Leave me alone." With those words I turned around and continued on my way down the road back towards Forks. Surprisingly enough Sam didn't protest, nor did he follow me. After about ten steps I glanced over my shoulder and found Sam was completely gone.

Turning around I looked down the road not seeing anyone. Thunder rolled and I looked up. Rain started a heavy down pour and I cursed running down the road heading for my house.
♠ ♠ ♠
For all of your comments I have rewarded you with a long chapter!
Haha.

So please send in more comments, if I hit over five by today I will update again.
Comment, comment!

-Mimi