Sequel: Queens of the Night

Kings of War

Xander

Xander watched Shaun, Eli, and Jason for a moment before turning and walking away. Two knights stood at attention on either side of the door as he walked away. He wasn't concerned about them, he had no need to be. It was Shaun, Eli, and Jason who had his attention at the moment even as he walked slowly back to the room he shared with Elizabeth. Eli had been as defiant as ever the woman. He doubted she would ever change in that. It was what made her so perfect for Shaun no matter what his friend thought. Shaun needed he challenge that came in the form of Miss Eli. Though the fear in her eyes had been unnatural and rather disconcerting. The knights sent to retrieve her would be lucky to live. Xander would leave Shaun to it as well. He had other concerns such as seeing to his queen.

The thought of Elizabeth made him want to smile, a smile that wasn't his typical face. Usually when he smiled, it meant death. This wasn't the smile he was thinking of though and that meant something. This smile meant something like love. And in his own way, he did love his Elizabeth. Shaun, of course, did not understand that and had even made a point of telling Xander that often Not that Xander ever listened. The Scottish vampire was as stubborn as he was loyal. It was one of the reasons that he and Shaun ruled the city together. They had never been rivals for the throne despite what the rumors and back alley rats had tried to proclaim to many different mercenaries and warmongers. Those who had dared to believe the rumors had quickly learned what fools they were to consider trying to play Xander and Shaun against each other. He had usually left such fools to Shaun who had been glad to teach them their lesson.

Ajax nodded to Xander as the vampire king came striding down the hall. Ajax stepped promptly to the side and opened the door for Xander as he got closer. Senga was standing by the time that Xander strode into the room. Xander dismissed his head of security and made his way to Elizabeth's side. "I've nay doubt ye have questions fer me lassie. Would ye care to ask me now or after ye've eaten?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, it's short and a bit overdue. Sorry! I hope you enjoyed this little thing anywho!