Sequel: Queens of the Night

Kings of War

Eli

Eli woke up in a bed that wasn't hers to the sound of Jason's soft humming. She was confused and obviously disoriented. Then the memories came back. Eli groaned and fell back down to the bed. Shaun's bed. She wanted to call him a bastard, but she couldn't. Maybe she had been wrong this whole time. She curled up into a ball on her side as she thought about it. Just because Shaun hadn't defended one woman didn't mean that he wouldn't have done something so...brutal to her. He had said so himself last night. She wasn't a whore. The smell of food was what enticed her from bed. "Jason baby, why don't you eat with mommy?" she suggested throwing a robe over her shirt and underwear and tying it off firmly. Jason set down his toy gently and bounced to join her at the table. "Mommy was sleeping so Daddy told me not to wake you up," he said clambering up into her lap.

"That was very nice of him," she said softly. Eli sighed and began putting food on a plate for both her and Jason. They ate in silence. She doubted that Shaun had left orders that would allow her or Jason out anytime soon. He was never going to trust her again. She had to accept that. She could blame him ether. She had screwed things up. Thinking back, she still knew why she had done things the way that she had done them, but it didn't change the facts. What was done couldn't be undone. She had to be a realist and she was good at that. She was going to just have to adapt to living in the castle again and accept the fact that despite everything that she had said to Shaun, she still loved the bastard. She wondered if that would ever change. Not likely. Shaun wasn't a man you forgot for any reason. "Why don't you clean up your toys and let's see if we can get a bath huh?" she suggested with a smile. She knew very well how to do the bath. Her concern was clothes. They only had what they had come in after all and that could only last either of them so long.

A knock came at the door before she could go to it. Jason had trotted to the other side of Shaun's large bed with his toys, out of sight of the door. Eli turned back to the door as the knock was repeated. She rolled her eyes. It had to be one of Shaun's knights. She stood up began crossing the room only to see the door slam open. Her eyes widened in shock and her heart leapt up into her throat. She could only hope that Jason stayed out of sight. "So tell me Elisha? Did you think that now that you were back in Shaun's bed everything would be okay again? You may be a favored whore, but you're still a whore."

"I'm not a whore," Eli growled spitting in his eye. "I never have been and you lied you fucking bastard. I won't believe you this time."

The knight's face contorted into something torn between rage and disgust as he wiped the spit away from his eye. He paused a moment before he backhanded Eli across the face making her spin and reel. She fell to her knees and caught herself on the bed. "Never treat me like that again bitch," the knight growled grabbing a fistful of her hair. "Just remember, you can be expecting another visit. A word to Shaun and that little sissy boy of yours is dead. That I promise you," the knight hissed before throwing Eli to the floor. "I'll be kind to you this time and leave you with the warning," He gave her one good, swift kick to her side before he turned on his heel and left the room.

Eli curled into a ball and cried softly. She vaguely heard Jason move towards her. When she felt him petting her hair, she turned and pulled him to her chest. "Sh baby," she whispered. "I'll keep you safe even if it means leaving again."