Sequel: Queens of the Night

Kings of War

Shaun

It was the first time he had been hunting in quite a while-- and the very first trip for Jason. It had never slipped his mind that his son was indeed half-vampire, but his fangs had not yet come in when Eli had taken him and fled. Now the boy's teeth were all grown in, including the two pointed incisors. It was a milestone, in Shaun's opinion, and one that required something. After quite a bit of talking, he had convinced Eli to let him take the boy out and teach him how to hunt. Not humans yet; no, that was too dangerous for the child. he had brought him to the woods. Small animals would do for now. It would be a while until Jason was honed enough to be a match for a human.

He crouched down in the foiliage, his hands laid on Jason's shoulder. The boy was still, tucked in close to his father while his eyes watched the small animal moving around the clearing. Shaun had thought it best to start small, so he had figured he'd let Jason practice hunting a squirrel. There was no shortage of them anyways, and it would teach him speed.

"Watch him. Pay attention to the way he moves, and try to see where he's going to be next. Now, he's gonna be fast, so you gotta be faster." Shaun rumbled, ruffling the boy's hair. "Come on, Kiddo. You can do it. I'll count you in." The squirrel came closer, nose pressed to the ground. He had yet to scent the two vampires crouching feet away. The young boy peered at his father for reassurance as he positioned himself to run. "One....two....three...go!"

The word was barely out of his mouth and the boy had shot off in hot persuit of the squirrel, who was running as fast as his little legs could carry him. Jason was fast, almost a blur as he ran. The squirrel, however, was faster, scrambling up a tree and out of the boy's reach before he could grasp it's tail. Turning around, Jason's lower lip protruded.

"S'okay kid, nobody gets it right their first time. Let's try again, maybe somethin' a little slower, kay?" Shaun sauntered over, laying a hand on the boy's shoulder reassuringly.

"Daddy-" His small voice was cut off by the sound of a loud gunshot.

"Fuck, fuck, get down!" Shaun roared, using his body to shield the boy. He pulled Jason in close to him, walling the child in so that he was between Shaun's body and a tree. With baited breath, he waited for anything. Footsteps, another gun shot. there was nothing, just absolute silence. Shaun turned slowly, surveying the area. He saw nothing, heard nothing except the sound of Jason's frightened whimpers as he cowered against the tree.

It had to have come from somewhere, but the forest seemed completely dark and peaceful. "Show yourself!" He yelled, but there wasn't so much as a breeze. He wouldn't be fooled; it wasn't safe here. Turning, he scooped the snuffling child into his arms. "Shh. It's gonna be okay buddy, we're going home. Hold on tight, I'm gonna go fast."

Jason was full on crying now, burying his face in his father's shoulder. He tightened his grip, and without a backwards glance Shaun took off to the castle at full speed. Being an old vampire, speed was something that came effortlessly, especially now when he was rushing with adrenaline. Within minutes he was striding through the hallways, Jason still caught up in his arms. There was no way he was letting the boy out of his sight. Not after this. The bullet was meant for him, clearly by somebody foolish enough to think that such things would harm a vampire. He may have been able to deflect it, but Jason was not. A fact the person may have been aware of. It scared him. Storming straight to Xander's door, he kicked it with considerable force, hearing Liz's high squeal from within. "AY! GET OUT HERE! WE HAVE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DISCUSS!"
♠ ♠ ♠
ohrahr, poor jason.