Sequel: Queens of the Night

Kings of War

Shaun

Shaun had hoped that Eli would think logically and change her mind about wanting to come to the outlands, but she had remained stubborn, and so he had given up the fight. She could come if she was so inclined, but he was going to be keeping a close eye on her. It had been too close to home when he'd been shot at, his young son only feet away from him. He wouldn't have Eli put in danger, too.

They had marched at dawn. Shaun hadn't slept at all during the night, laying there and staring at the ceiling instead. He hadn't been able to shut his brain down and stop worrying, planning out the battle in his mind and how he was going to hunt down the fucker and gut him with his bare hands. He had been dressed and ready to head out before the sun was up, as was Eli. Elizabeth, much to her dismay, had been told that she wasn't allowed to leave and would be staing here to look after Jason in their absence. She wasn't happy about being away from Xander, or being the only one to have to stay here despite the fact that she was a vampire. Still though, not a peep had been heard from the girl while she watched them go, tears in her eyes.

He refused to let Eli out of his reach, slinging his arm over her shoulder protectively. She had the determined scowl of a mother who was going to get her due revenge. She was a grown woman, he wouldn't force her to stay. Not when she had just as much reason to be angry as he did. He could have ordered her to stay with Liz...but damn he loved it when she got headstrong and sassy.

He led the march, up front with Xander at his side and Eli tucked safely under his arm. Behind them, row upon row of knights and troups ready to fight if the need arose. They would make their battleground on their own terms, as far away from home as they could get. He didn't want the war to end up at their home base, not with Elizabeth and Jason there. No, that needed to be their safe place. The outlands would be where this mess would happen.

Sighing, he pressed his lips to Eli's temple. "Are you ready?" He asked her, laying his cheek atop her head.

She nodded. "Yes. I'm more than ready."

He chuckled darkly, scanning the horizon for any sign of movement. "That's my girl. Don't get yourself in too deep, you understand me? If you need anything, I'll be there. I don't want you out of my sight." He pulled her in closer to him protectively. He just got her back-- he wasn't about to lose her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
It appears war is upon us.

Comment/subscribe? ;D