Sequel: Queens of the Night

Kings of War

Eli

She felt terrible when she saw Jason's brown eyes open when she shouted. She hadn't wanted to wake up her son. But here he was now, huddled against her chest confused and obviously afraid. How was she supposed to explain why she had left. He wouldn't believe her. If he would have, she would have gone to him. It didn't matter now. Nothing could be changed except the present. She watched as Shaun came down to Jason's level. Damn the man. She couldn't love him. Not again. She wouldn't trust him, but it was so hard to be mad when he looked like that. He probably didn't even know that there was that sweet enduring look in his eyes or the most heart-breaking look on his face. Jason peeked out from his place behind his mother's arms and looked at his father. "You're daddy...." his voice was small. Her guilt welled up all over again.

"Shaun...you can't take him from me," she begged. She couldn't lose her son. She had done everything for him. Every action even leaving Shaun had been for him even more than for herself. She was going to keep protecting her son too. Even if she had to protect him against his father's pride.She had done it before and she would do it again. Especially with the rumors of a conqueror coming to take Westhall. Whether the city fell or stood, her son would be in danger and she wouldn't do that. She loved him too much to ever let him be put in danger by some mistake of his father or especially one of his Knights.

She felt Jason twist around in her arms and watched him crawl off of her lap and over to Shaun. The little boy wrapped his arms around Shaun's neck and hugged him. She was so afraid that Shaun would take him away and never let her see him again. It was his kingdom...he had every right and resource to do it too. She looked towards the door to plead with his reasonable counterpart, Xander, only to find that the Scottish vampire had slipped away probably to go back to his fledgling. She barely remembered Elizabeth only having met the child once before she had found herself forced to flee form the castle with her son. She could only hope that Shaun was feeling gracious otherwise...who knew what her fate was going to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I know short, but necessary. And don't worry, the fun will continue soon. No favorites will be neglected....hopefully....