Status: updating slowly but surely :) of course, depends on the comments i receive!

Behind Closed Doors

Chapter 10

"Hi", I literally jumped causing my head to successfully made contact with one of the drawers in my locker. Crap. Muttering a few words, I stood up from my squatting position to glare at Carter who's grinning madly, seeming to be pleasantly amused by the whole situation. "I'm sorry, Laney. Didn't think you'd be that surprised seeing me,".

I sighed, trying to ignore him, slamming the locker shut. He snickered at my attitude while I walked the hallway, waving a few ‘hi’s to some friends and casually checking my watch, with Carter’s presence still following me. Think of a way! Think of a way out of this! I thought desperately. Carter’s body is huge, almost as huge as Paul’s but not as tall. And a huge body means long legs. And long legs mean further stepping. I cursed a few words under my breath.

“What was that?” Carter walked beside me, his feet following my short pace, “A nice girl like you shouldn’t be messing around with such dirty words, Alana.”

“Funny, I thought as a human being I can do whatever I please,”

Carter gasped, “She speaks!”. Noting a roll of my eye he halted me into a stop.

“What the –Carter! Let me go!” Grabbing both of my arms in just one hand and practically lifting me up with another, he barged in the next room on the corner. Not without checking the outside situation from left to right more than twice though, making my head spin. I try to break free but his arms held them so tight it hurt.

“Hey, mind giving us a minute?”, Carter said to a ginger-haired freshman wearing a really tacky striped polo shirt with paint stains on it. Awkwardly looking at our current position, he nodded lamely and walked out.

“Urrrrrrgh!” I wiggled, tossed and turned but his arms won’t let go. I smelled the faint smell of oil paint and fresh canvases, it’s the art room. “Seriously, Carter? Let me go or I swear I’ll call the city cop and the US Army and NASA to mess with your butt!”

Carter stopped walking, “NASA? They’re the guys handling alien problems, right?”

“Well, as if kidnapping an innocent person and causing their arms to bruise and –god my ass hurts, and—annoying them very much is human! Let go of me you jerk!”

He did, and I fell into a wooden chair. And because of his lack of aim or my inability of balance, I fell. Great, now besides my head, arms, and my itchy ass, my whole body have to be damaged too. “Oops,” Carter simply said with a small grin.

“Do not,” I warned when he gave me a hand, “touch me.”

“Whatever”, Carter replied lifting my limp body up and sitting me down. “Now,” he clears his throat, “we need to talk.”

“We don’t need to talk about anything. And the bell had rang, I want to enjoy my lunch before enjoying calculus with Mr Figgins. So if you’ll excuse me—“ He placed me back onto the chair. I slumped my shoulder. I am totally asking my dad for a gym membership. I have to stop being so weak upon everything.

“Ok,” he goes to the point, looking me dead in the eye with his blue ocean eyes, “what’s gotten into you, acting miss pissy-pissy all he freaking time? And you do it to me only, and you do it on purpose.”

“No I don’t” I disagreed, “I’m just not in the best of moods.”

He laughed sarcastically, “Ha, like that’s to believe. Come on, Al. I thought we were friends,”

“We were never friends,” I narrowed my eyes, correcting him, “And get that pointy look off your face!”

“See? See? You’re doing it again!”

“Am not,”

“Am too, should I call you Miss Denial now?”

“Alana is perfectly fine, thank you.”

Carter pursed his lips, trying to find words, “It’s Paul, isn’t it?”, he sighs after a brief moment of silence.

My body shook a bit, “Paul what?”

“Stop the denials, Al! Come on, just tell me what is it he said about me?”

“Um,” I hesitated, “he doesn’t really—“

“Bad-guy? Sad excuse of a man? Coward? Ass? Jerk?” He spat answers with an irritated scowl.

“Well, something along those lines….”

Carter ran a hand through his thick blonde hair, “Why must you believe everything he said, Al? Is it because he’s perfect? The type the girls swoon over for?”

“No!” I gaped up at him, “I don’t see him like that. We’re just… together by all means, I guess.”

He lets out a sad chuckle, “well, let me tell you something that isn’t going to brighten your day. You know what they say about me, right? Paul filled you on that. But, do you know what others talk about him, huh?”

I gulped, slowly shaking my head no. I don’t like where this situation is headed.

A shadow of a sinister grin appeared on Carter’s face, or I am just imagining it, I don’t know. “He’s 10 times worse than me. He drinks, he sleeps with random girls on a daily basis, he parties, he bitches a lot about things, and well… you see the point, don’t you?” he walked closer to me while I tried desperately to avoid his gaze. His long-sleeved shirt covered arms caged me on both of my sides. “So,” he breathes, “What makes him better? As far as we all know he’s the baddest person around. So why him?”

Taking a deep breath, I close my eyes, “I don’t believe you,”

“Ask anyone else!” he spreads his arms, “even, ask Jacob what he thinks about Paul. He’s your best friend, you can believe him right?”

“I’m not going to” I shook my head.

Carter looks amused by my stubbornness. “Really? Why not?”

“Because I trust Paul,” I said to him, opening my eyes and directed them straight to his. I cursed inside when what escapes my mouth sounded more like a question. “And I don’t care what bad things you say about him,”

“Hm,” He lifted an eyebrow, a challenged expression on his face. “Fine. Just you wait. Just you wait until you became another notch on his bedpost and see how you’d feel then.”

Carter must’ve noticed me twitch in my seat hearing his words, since he closed up to me once more, “Well baby, if he did do those things to you, you know where to find me.” I blinked back angry tears before they come out, his past words really hit me. Why should I trust a person so freely?

Before leaving the room, Carter looked back, “Ask Jacob”, he reminded.

I sighed, looking down. Suddenly I;m not in the mood for lunch anymore. Well, what I don’t know is the sly smirk Carter got when he walked outside all the way to the cafeteria.

Game’s starting

***

“Alana!” I turned right to see Paul running towards me on the parking lot, flashing a wide smile and an unpredictable look on his face. “Hey,” he greeted when he finally faced me.

“Hi,” I smiled back. It’s funny about the feeling when I look into his eyes and his did mine, all my problems are so far away. I forget about homeworks, chores, school problems, Carter…

Carter

“So,” Paul said, unnoticing my change of expression, “I’ve got you something,”

“What? No!” I jumped around as his hand slid into his bag, shuffling until he find what he was looking for. “You can’t give me anything!”

Paul arched an eyebrow up, “Why not?”

“Because!” I said lamely. Noting his challenging face I added, “because I haven’t got you anything?”

He laughed a hearty laugh, “seriously, you don’t have to. My uncle Earl came last night and he brought a few things from South America. I saw one of the things and I immediately thought of you. So,” He bit his bottom lip, “close your eyes.”

Goddamn it. He looks so handsome today. Wearing his blue shirt with a white t-shirt showing through the open buttons on top. The faded black jeans and the dark brown untied boots. The slightly wet hair because of he rain, his cute expression, and don’t get me started on the muscles. Don’t.

I gave in and did as he said. My neck feels tingly for a second and I could feel his hand brushing on my collar. “Done, open them.”

When I did I saw him looking straight at my chest with a proud smile. I was going to shout at him for being such a perv, but then something silver caught my eye. He’s not looking at the goodies, he’s looking at what he gave me.

Paul gave me a necklace. It’s very simple, it’s made my a thin light purple ribbon which he double-tied. And the pendant; it’s a silver wolf head. Looks vintage and very adorable. Three words; I love it.

“Well, since it’s silver I thought I’d get it for you.” He said interrupting me from my trance, “I…” he stopped, “Thought it’d remind you of me. But it’s ok if you don’t like it or you don’t want to wear it, I’m—“

What I did next surprises us both. I jumped into his arms and kissed him full on the lips.

Startled, he did a couple steps back before regaining his composure and closed his eyes. The kiss lasted no longer than 4 seconds, and all I can do is smile sheepishly at him, “Sorry. I don’t know how to describe the ecstatic feeling the gift made me feel.”

“Wow,” he said, “it’s kinda short, don’t you think? I'll give you a little piece of my mind,” Paul smirked pulling me closer, removing a strand of my hair, “Come on. Now let me show you how a real man kiss a girl,”

Looking at Paul’s warm eyes I forget all about my problems. Kissing Paul’s lush lips? Honey, I don’t have any problems.

”I’m just a notch in your bedpost, but you’re just a line in a song”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, you met the devil with the name of Carter.
Thoughts?
Hee hee
Wellll, the chapter pleased me did it please you? ☺
Thank you for being supportive and also very PATIENT for me, I love you all! Cheers!