Status: IT"S DONE

Fatality: The Final Race

Lies And Truths Revealed

My next race was $3000 purse. James wasn’t in this one, so I had no real competition. She had come down with a cold in the last few days, and as much as I would have rather been there to take care of her, I had to race. My freedom couldn’t wait much longer.

The engines whined as all the drivers held the clutch to the ground. As soon as the flag dropped, I slammed the gas. Dirt flew out behind me as my tires caught traction and I was gone. The race was 50 miles through turns, curves, and hills. It was one of the more difficult tracks we had around here, and it was all on loose gravel.

This course was not for the faint of heart. The turns were insane, and as I cut hard to the inside of each one, I became scared. The car was handling fine, but I still wasn’t used to the new upgrades. That fear made me drive faster. I had a slight lead, but I wasn’t worried about being passed. I still had a solid lead going into the final straight away, but I really wanted to see just how fast I could get this little Camaro to go. I counted backwards from three in my head and flipped the NOZ switch. The car jolted under me and left the others in a cloud of dust as I flew past the crowd, the pits, and then the finish line.

I stepped out of my car, got congratulated, handed the prize money. Then I saw James sitting in the stands looking completely pissed, worried, terrified. I'd worry about it in a minute. Getting back into the car, I drove to the garage to find Boss. He was standing in the garage with his back to the wall. I parked and tossed him the keys and the prize money. Both landed at his feet, he didn’t even move.
“What’s your problem?” I asked with a hint of distain.
"You’re just so wonderful and perfect, aren’t you Autumn? You win everything. The race…her…"

So that’s why he had threatened me to stay away from James. He wanted her for himself. I rolled my eyes and walked out of the garage. He may want James, but I wanted her and she wanted me. Sadly, for Boss, he didn't fit into the equation. I walked home in silence. I walked into the living room to find James sitting on the couch with a similar pissed off expression.

"What's wrong James?” I sat next to her on the couch. She hesitated for a moment before answering.

"Boss…told me during your race that if I don’t live with him, he’ll hurt you."

I wrapped my arms around her, "Don't worry about me. He says all he wants is you."

She just lay there, looking lost and helpless.

"James. Please don't worry about him. He's not dumb enough to do anything to his best racer. Boss knows he’d be out a ton of money if I couldn’t race, and I’d kick his ass if he touched you."

She smiled. I lay back on the couch, pulling her next to me, "It'll be okay baby."

"Baby?" James looked up at me and smiled. I nodded slowly, returning her smile.

"Does that mean I'm yours?"

"If you want to be." Her eyes lit up and she kissed me, her lips turning to a smile against mine. We lie on the couch for a while talking, mainly about her and her past. she was very…interesting. She laid with her head on my chest. I didn't know what to do or how to act, she was my first actual girlfriend--not just someone I romanced enough to get her to sleep with me.
I felt her body relax against mine and her breath slowed. She was falling asleep, and as much as I didn’t want to wake her, I held her closer for a moment before speaking.

"Come on. Go take a nap."

Barely opening her eyes, James stood and walked to my room; she paused at the door.

"Come with me," she smiled. I stood and went with her. She curled up in bed next to me, in my arms, head on my chest. All I could do was slowly run my fingers through her hair and watch the gentle rise and fall of her chest as she slept. She was beautiful, and peaceful. Innocence that I could never begin to understand. I buried my face in her hair, and soon, I had fallen asleep too.

I woke up and got out of bed without waking her. I went into the kitchen and decided to make dinner. By the time I had finished cooking, she was still asleep. As much as I didn’t' want to wake her, she needed to eat something. I woke her up.

"Baby. come on, let’s eat."

She rubbed her eyes and sat up. I couldn't help but laugh when she ran her hands through her hair. Even with short hair--it was messier than mine ever got.