Habitat For Humility

Chapter Three

When the plane landed Janna led Joey, along with Jakob clinging to Jason's hand to collect the families' luggage. Adrienne chased after Billie Joe who was making a beeline for the customer services desk.

The queue was quite lengthy; Billie Joe had stopped then rested with his hands on his head.

"Baby, is this really necessary?" Adrienne sidled up to him, wrapping her arms around his waist and resting her head lightly on his chest. "We all need to get a good night sleep. You guys get cranky when you have jetlag."

She looked up, brown eyes sparkling. Billie wished he wasn't so swayed by that look. He sighed and gently removing her hands from his hips he entwined their fingers together. They glided smoothly through the crowds, spotting the others and going to join them.

The Whites had arrangements to be picked up by Jason's aunt who lived locally so Billie hailed a taxi and the family headed for the hotel.

The roads were busy so it was quite late by the time they arrived there so after checking in and dropping off baggage in the room the family went to dinner in the hotel restaurant. It was a relaxing, uneventful evening until the waiter asked Jakob what flavour of ice cream he would prefer.

"I want mint choc-chip. What's Neapolitan? Strawberry and chocolate are yucky and vanilla is just boring."

Of course this was the flavour that was not available so to avoid too much of a scene Adrienne decided that it would be best to send the boys to bed and boycott any second course. This caused great upset and not only from the children.

As they walked out Joey stuck out his foot resulting in his brother to stumble. This, in turn, meant that Billie Joe tripped, his elbow clipping a decorative urn. It toppled with a spectacular crash of expensive china and fake flowers went flying towards other diners. The restaurant went deadly silent and everybody turned to stare. Then they began to laugh.

Fortunately (or unfortunately - depending on how you look at it) a waiter, who was quite obviously a Green Day fan stepped in. He cleaned up the mess insisting that there was no problem nor would anyone be charged for any damage caused as well as refunds or a new meal for those whose food had been hit by the explosion of expensive decorative feature. With this man making the apologies for them the family slipped out almost unnoticed.

The room they were staying in was really two separate rooms - one double bed room and one twin bed room - each with en-suite bathrooms and a large sliding door between.

When they got back to their room Billie Joe locked himself in the bathroom so Adrienne found the family's night attire and wash bags then organised the boys ready for bed. She sent them to have a wash in their bathroom as she got out clothes, ready for them to put on in the morning.

Once Joey and Jakob reappeared and clambered into bed Adrienne went into the bathroom with her night-dress to get changed; she would shower in the morning.

"Night" Joey mumbled as she walked towards him when she came out. She hugged him, kissing his head.

"Goodnight, sleep tight." She whispered her reply, turning to look at her younger son. Jakob was already curled up fast asleep, breathing deeply. Adrienne gazed down at her tired children. They are so sweet when they are sleeping.

She left their part of the room pulling the door to behind her. Billie Joe had emerged and was sat on the bed staring down at his feet.

"Hey, what's the matter?" she asked him as he stood up. He sighed and picked up the thick pyjamas that he had packed. Once he had undressed and put them on he turned to look at his wife, who was sat on the edge of the bed watching his every move. She was trying - but failing - not to smile at the short man drowned in the sea of red tartan fabric.

He began to defend himself as he pulled back the cover and got into the bed, lying with his hands above his head. "I thought it was going to be cold so I ... Don't laugh. I'm tired."

"Sorry. Sometimes I think you’d forget your head if it weren't screwed on though." Adrienne commented as she slid in beside him. Neither of them spoke for several minutes until Billie Joe broke the silence.

"Nothing I ever do is right." he burst out.

This can’t just be over me laughing at his awful pyjamas thought Adrienne. Slightly bewildered she questioned her husband "Are you cut up over that man on the plane and breaking that expensive vase?"

"No. It's just that the boys seem to have no respect anymore. Did we really bring them up that way?" Billie sighed, moving his hands from his head to his stomach.

"They're growing up. Come on Bill, you remember what it was like to feel misunderstood and it's probably harder for them with a famous parent who everyone recognises." She reassured him.

Billie scoffed, rolling onto his side to look at her properly. "Well today we've only had the waiter. That guy on the plane thought I was some sort of criminal."

Giggling Adrienne stroked his chin. "That's what you get if you grow a weird little beard. I'm not sure if I like it yet."

Tugging softly she pulled his face down to hers and kissed him gently. He responded by hugging her tightly to him, pulling her head in towards his chest. "I love you, Adie." he murmured into her hair.

"I love you too Billie Joe." she replied moving so she was more comfortable.

"And your beard"