Status: Complete.

Seasons Change

X

(Winter.)

“Ok. The illness is progressing just as we expected. 2 months to go. Do you have all the preparations ready?” the doctor asked.

“Preparations?” I asked, puzzled.

“The funeral. A casket? Reception?” he asked.

I hadn’t even thought of those things. It was hard enough knowing that my son was dying. But I have to bury him? I have to get a casket? How could this happen?

“No. I hadn’t thought of that.” I could feel my eyes brimming with unwanted tears. I tried to brush them away but more spilled.

For the next few days that’s all I did. Cry. That’s it.

***

“Hello. Lane Funeral Home. How may I help you?”

“Umm…hello. I need to know about a casket…umm…and umm…how does a funeral work? Exactly.” I sounded so dumb.

The polite little girl on the other end answered. “Well, usually there are the waking hours. Then the funeral ceremony. Lowering of the casket. So on and so forth.”

“Oh. Well where are caskets sold?”

“Umm…you could buy one here if you like. We can set everything up for you.”

“O-Ok.”

“So would you like to make an appointment.”

“Yea please.”

“Ok. How is tomorrow at 3 P.M.?”

“Good.”

“Ok then. See you tomorrow.”

Tomorrow came all to fast and Alex and I were sitting in an office with a nice young lady who was to prepare everything for Daily’s funeral.

I REALLY HATE THIS!!!

“So what exactly are you looking for and about what time should this be prepared?” she asked.

Alex answered, “Umm…Two months. About. We just want something simple. Well that’s what Daily wants anyway.”

“Ok. So how about a small oak casket? Do you know the burial site?”

“Yes!” I interrupted Alex. “Arlington Cemetery.”

Alex gave me a weird look.

You see. I had found out over the past few weeks that my parents were not buried in Idaho where we lived. They were sent back to Ohio. Grams had told me that. I wanted my son to be with his grandparents. And that’s how it was gonna be or else.

“My parents are buried there.” I said.

Alex said ‘Oh’ and gave me a sympathetic smile.

I didn’t know why we was giving me sympathy. His child was dying too.

“I’m very sorry for your loss.” the girl said.

“yea. That’s what everyone’s been saying lately.” I mumbled.

***

With an arrangement and a casket, everything seemed so set in stone. I couldn’t handle it anymore. All my time was spent with Daily. No one else. Not even Alex.

I felt so lonely. What would I do when he’s gone? How could I survive?