Status: Complete.

Seasons Change

XI

(Winter.)

The time was fast approaching. Daily was admitted to the hospital to wait out the rest of his time on earth. How horrible it must be to live your last week in a hospital.

Daily insisted it was ok. Of course Jordan was there the whole time laying in bed with Daily.

It would be over soon. He’d be gone and I’d have a hole in my heart.

“Hello Gentlemen. How are you doing?” the doc asked.

Everyday he’d come to see Daily and he’d ask us the same question. How are you? Well let’s see…My son is 10 years old and dying of cancer. I haven’t slept or eaten in a week. My head is killing me, and I feel like I could vomit at any given second. Plus Daily’s pain added to mine is making me feel pretty shitty right now.

But that’s not what I say.

“We’re doing ok doc.”

He nodded and checked Daily’s vitals.

“Well it’s going just as we expected. Progressing on schedule.” he said to Alex and I.

He then turned back to Daily. “How are you feeling?”

“Tired…and I hurt a lot.”

Doc nodded and wrote something on his notepad.

“As to be expected.”

“Ok. If you guys need anything just let the nurses know.” He smiled and retreated from the room.

“Daily. Do you want anything to eat?” Alex asked.

Daily shook his head. “No.”

You could here the tiredness in his voice. It was like he strained to do anything.

Daily groaned and I looked at him.

“You ok?”

He shook his head. “No. I have a pain in my chest.”

“W-What kind of pain?” I stuttered.

He groaned. “A-A painf-ful pain!”

He screeched and I raced to find a doctor.

“Doctor. Daily. He’s getting chest pains.”

The doctor looked chocked but ran to Daily’s room.

Daily was screaming in pain by the time we made it back. Alex was by his side trying to comfort him.

The doctor checked the machines and played with some things. The details I’m not to sure of. But slowly Daily stopped screaming and relaxed, a somewhat pained expression still on his face.

Doc turned solemnly to Alex and I.

“I’m very sorry. But if I were you I’d start saying my goodbye’s now. I don’t think he’ll make it through the night.”

“WHAT?!” Alex and I shrieked.

“I’ll leave you alone.” he whispered.

Alex and I walked back into the room with Daily and Jordan. Jordan looked like he had been crying. His face was red and drenched with tears.

Jordan was laying on the bed with Daily. His head on Daily’s chest and their arms wrapped tight around each other. Any other time I would have squealed at the site of Daily and Jordan cuddling. But this was just too sad.

I walked over and sat next to Daily’s bed. “Daily. You know what’s happening right?” Alex asked.

Daily nodded.

“We love you Daily” Alex said.

Trying to keep down my sobs was stopping me from speaking.

“Daddy?” Daily whispered.

I looked up at him, knowing he was talking to me.

“Thank you so much for adopting me and letting me in your life. I love you.”

Sobs escaped as I lunged for my son and cradled him to my chest. I only had a few hours left and I wasn’t letting him go.

♠ ♠ ♠
i kinda let a tear slip as I wrote this. But SHH! Don't tell.