Status: Complete.

Seasons Change

VII

(Alex.)

The hospital wait was ridiculous. Two hours, and four trips to the bathroom until they got us in a room.

“Ok. So why are you boys paying a visit to the hospital today?”

Win started. “Well we got a call this morning from Daily’s friend’s mom, she told us he hadn’t been feeling well.”

We explained start to finish and the doctor said he was taking Daily for a few tests.

**

“Alex. It’s been hours. What are they doing?”

“I don’t kn-”

“Boys. Umm…I have some bad news.”

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Please. Let’s talk in my office.” he led the way into the back. We still hadn’t seen Daily and I was extremely worried. We reached the small office in five minutes.

The room was average size. Red walls and brown leather chairs. A desk with a computer. Average.

“Have a seat gentlemen.”

Winter and I sat down in the seats and instantly clasped our hands together.

“Doc. Honestly just tell us what’s going on.” I pressured

“Why Wait. Daily has a Malignant Tumor in his brainstem. Childhood brain stem glioma is a disease in which, in this case, malignant, or cancer cells form in the tissues of the brain stem. We’re sure that’s what it is. We preformed A CAT Scan and an MRI. I need to speak with the Pathologist and see if it’s to far spread for a biopsy. If not then great. But if it is too far spread then…I’m sorry to say that there’s nothing we can do.”

“What so you’re saying that our baby has cancer? And that he might die?!”

“Umm…Yes Sir. I’m very sorry.”

Winter collapsed from his chair before I wrapped my arms around him and cradled him to my chest.

“Shh…baby. it’s gonna be fine. Daily’s gonna be fine. He’ll get the tumor removed and get chemo…or whatever.”

Winter stayed sobbing in my arms for what seemed like hours.

“Winny let’s go see him. Ok?” He nodded and I led him to Daily’s hospital room.

“Hey Day. How are you feeling?” Winny asked.

“Tired. I wanna go home.” Daily whined.

“Well you need some tests first. Then we can go home. Promise.”

“Ok.”

I joined in the conversation. “hey Daily. Why don’t you take a nap?”

He nodded and closed his eyes.

Winter looked about ready to break down again so I led him into the hallway and held him as close as I could.

“Alex? What if he doesn’t make it? What if he can’t have the tumor removed and chemo doesn’t work?”

“It will. He’s a fighter. He’ll be fine.”

***

Test after test after test. How long can it take. Jeez. Well apparently it can take over four hours. Jeez.

“I’m so hungry!” Winter whined.

“Let’s go to the cafeteria. I think we’re smart enough to find it.” we laughed and tried to follow the signs.

30 minutes and 4 wrong turns later we arrived at the cafeteria.

"What do you want babe?”

“My son to be healthy.” He mumbled under his breathe. His eyes were downcast on the ground.

“He will be. Just let the doctors run the tests.” I grabbed whatever was closest and we sat down to eat.