"I love you, Adrienne..." "I love you too, Mike"

Back to normal... right?

When I finally fell asleep, it was nearly dawn. Needless to say, I woke up past midday.

I went downstairs, trying to convince myself that it had all been a dream. A good dream. No, no, a dream, just a dream. Not good, not bad, just a dream. Right, Mike?

Right...

WRONG!

I found a note on the kitchen table, it said:

Mikes,
I moved back to my house. thx 4 letting me stayin with u.
thx 4 everythin.. c u around.

Tre
x


I kept staring at that little x. I couldn't help a sigh. He left.

He left.

He left.

I walked to the living room, everything was messy, tipical Tre. I didn't bother to tidy it. I wanted to leave everything as he had left them.

I went into the guest room, which had became his bedroom, and on the bed I found a very little envelope, closed.

On the envelope I read:

open it when you are really upset.
not at any other time.
ONLY if you are really upset.

x


it was his handwriting, of course.
well, I was upset, wasn't I?

I re-read it, and stopped looking at that "ONLY", and "really".

I got it, he didn't want me to open it right after he left. He knew I'd have thought "Hey, I'm upset 'cause he left, let's see what's in this". He guessed right. He knows me so well.

I held the envelope in front of me, trying to see what was inside, but I could only feel something solid and heavy under my fingertips. Curiosity was killing me, but I put it in my pocket without another look at it.

I went back downstairs to check if coffee was ready. It was, so I drank it, thinking of the night before.

"What have I done," I kept thinking

"What am I gonna do now? I love Adrienne, fuck it, I still fucking do. She's my life."

Sure she broke my heart and jumped on it, when she married Billie Joe, and I decided I didn't want to be hurt that way anymore, therefore I wasn't going to let my feelings for her overcome my friendship with Billie Joe. But now, we were so close again. We were back together, weren't we? Then why I felt so distant from her? Was it that her sons call me "uncle Mike"?

Was it Tre?

I can't fucking bear this anymore!

I only hope I'm not going crazy, or I'll do stupid things. Lots of very stupid things. Oh no.

Oh no, I couldn't do this, I thought I'd never sink that low.

And all at once, I was staring at my reflection, in the bathroom mirror. And I noticed something.

I was crying.