"I love you, Adrienne..." "I love you too, Mike"

Proposal

He was still lost in his memories, when he remembered where he was going. It was 9:35, he was quite late.
He arrived there and saw Joey and Jake running up to him and jumping in the car. He waved to Billie and Adie, but they were already going back inside, kissing passionately.
Oh Adie, if only you knew, if only you could know, he thought.
Finally, he started the engine with a deep sigh.

A month had passed since Billie and Adie's 12th anniversary.
Every year it was a pain for Mike, every year it was another year without her, every time he saw her, he knew she knew, but it seemed both of them couldn't tell each other how they really felt.
And now, Mike, at 34 years of age, couldn't stand it anymore, he couldn't keep everything inside. He remembered a night, almost 13 years before...

FLASH BACK – MIKE’S P.O.V.

I bought a ring for her. Even if she was my best friend's girlfriend. I loved her so much. Words just can't describe the way I felt about her. But yet, that ring had been in my pocket for two months and I didn't get the courage to ask her.
It was a Wednesday morning, the day I went to her house.
We were lying on the bed, cuddled up and facing each other. There was total silence, broken by our, "I love you's.
I was stroking softly her cheek, and then I said, out of nowhere, in a matter-of-fact tone, "I broke up with Anastascia".
She looked at me, kind of shocked "Oh Mike, why? She was so kind to you."
"Babe, I love you more, I want to be with you. Leave Billie, and stay with me."
She kissed me and hugged me. I pulled away and stood up.
"I need to tell you something," I reached for my jacket.
My hand was inside the pocket already, when I turned around and asked her.
"Adrienne, do you really love me?"
She stood up, getting nearer, "Of course honey, I'll always love you... "
"More than Billie?"
"I... was thinking, in the past few days, about this. I love both of you quite the same way... but... I'm his girlfriend, I don't want to break up with him, to be honest, because... I think it'll hurt him too much...
"What do you mean 'quite the same way'?"
"Well... to tell you the truth, Mike, in this last period I've started loving you more... but this is not helping at all and..." She froze mid sentence, staring at the small blue box I took out my pocket. Tears formed in her eyes.
"Mike... W-what's that?"
"This?" I asked, half smiling, half hoping, "It's a... "
Right then, we heard the front door open and moments later, Billie was shouting, "Honey where are you?"
Adrienne looked at the door, then at me, not knowing what to do. The only place where I could hide was the huge wardrobe. She pushed me in there, shouting to Billie, "I'm upstairs!"
I quickly put the box in her hands.
"Keep this, it's yours, but hide it, now."
I heard her hiding it, and then Billie walking in.
I took a step to my left, so I could see them.
"Billie what are you doing here?"
"I missed you."
I saw him pulling her into a passionate kiss.
I was burning inside; I was jealous and a bit envious. When he pulled away, she asked,
"So, what's up?"
He started talking.
"Please sweetheart, I have to ask you not to interrupt me ok? This is hard for me to ask."
"Well... Ok, but... "
"Perfect."
He turned around, and locked the door.
What the fuck? I asked myself.
He moved closer to her, and grabbed her hands.
"I know this isn't the right moment, nor the right place, nor the right atmosphere, but if I don't ask you this now, I'll never tell you... "

"Ok then, go ahead, what's so..."
"Please let me speak."
"Ok, sorry"
"It's ok. Anyway, it's been so many years since that day I first looked at you. And from the first moment, I loved you. To me, you are the most precious and beautiful thing on this Earth. If they ask me to choose between being rich, famous, in good health, with lots of women around or being poor, reject, ill, but with you by my side, I would surely pick the second option."
I could see his eyes shining. He really loves this girl.
"I will never leave you, and I want to be with you forever."
He took out his pocket a little blue box, just like mine. I was on the edge of tears. Adrienne spilled tears like a fountain, but she had a smile from ear to ear.
"That's why yesterday you couldn't go out with me," she said, "you were buying that."
He got to his knee, kissed Adie's hand, opened the box and said:
"Adrienne Nesser, will you marry me?"
Fuck.
I've never cried so much, but yet so silently.

By now she was crying and laughing at the same time. She pulled him into a passionate kiss which turned out to be a full make-out session. I couldn't look, so I sat down, my head in my hands, crying.
I could hear them kissing but I didn't want to look, till I hear Billie saying "I want you baby".
I stopped crying, I stopped sobbing, I stopped even breathing, hoping to hear Adie saying no, since I was there, but all I hear was the sound of two bodies falling onto the bed. I was nearly shaking.
Adie obviously forgot I was there, 'cause when I looked out I was them nearly naked. I froze. How the hell could I stand to be stuck in there watching my best friend fucking the girl I love? When Adie was naked, Billie said "I take this as a yes?"
I started crying again. I wasn't looking but I couldn't help to hear their moans, which were growing louder.
Suddenly I saw the forgotten velvet box on the floor. It was opened. And holy fucking shit, the ring was exactly the same one I bought for her!!!
I decided I just couldn't take it anymore. I didn't care if they could see me, but I flew out of that bloody wardrobe, unlocked the door and ran downstairs. I grab a piece of paper and a pen and I wrote
"Goodbye. Xxx"
Then I hid it somewhere where I knew Billie would have never looked, and I went out.
Fuck everything. I didn't care anymore. I just wanted to run away from all this shit. My life was fucked up. My heart was broken. I loved a woman who was engaged and I know I would never had a chance. Saying goodbye to Adie, for me meant saying goodbye to love. I was too hurt to love anyone else. Fuck it, they didn't even see me when I walked out that fuckin wardrobe!
I wouldn't have been able to look at Billie again. Nor at Adie, since she was going to be his wife, and I knew I would have seen her more often.
Now, what about the band?
Oh, fuck.

Later that day…

I was laying on my bed, thinking of a way to escape from all the shit I was getting.
I knew what to do. I had to pretend, like I did till then.

*RING RING*

It was the phone. "Hello?"

"Hey buddy!" Oh, Billie. Not now. Ok Mike, just pretend.

"Hey Bill, wossup?"

"I have great news." Yes, sure you have, little fucker. "Can I come over, with Adie, in about...um...a couple of hours?"

Oh, Mike, you're in the shit.

"Oh, um...well...ok, but..."

"That's great, Mike, then see ya in a bit."

He hung up. Fuck, Mike. What the fuck did you just do?!

- STILL FLASH BACK - ADIE'S P.O.V. -

"Oh fuck, oh shit, oh holy fucking shit! What did I do? Ok, I know, I love Billie, but I love Mike a lot more! Just that...just 'cause Billie's fitter and more handsome than him, doesn't mean I can fuck him right in front of Mike!
Oh my God! What will I do now? He'll hate me now! Will he ever forgive me? Oh please, don't let it go the wrong way!"

I went to look for my diary while I was thinking this. A note was half hidden in the diary. It was a little, wet, piece of paper, with scruffy handwriting.

Mike's handwriting.

"Goodbye. xxx."

I was so upset. I fell to my knees, and started crying. We didn't see him running out the wardrobe. I'd been such an idiot...

I was laying on my bed, watching the engagement ring Billie gave me. It was plain, and simple, but with a small diamond in a flower shape. On the ring there was written "BJA & AN 4EVER LOVE".

A tear fell from my eye. I reached my bedside table and took out the ring Mike bought.

I froze.

Holy fucking hell!

It was exactly the same size, same shape, same everything! Just then I read the write "MRP & AN 4EVER LOVE".

Michael Ryan Pritchard. Oh Mike!

*RING RING*

It was the phone.

I suddenly had an idea.

*RING RING*

I quickly switched the two rings. I wore Mike's and put away Billie's. No one will notice, they're twins!

*RING RING*

"Hello?"

"Hey babe."

"Hey honey, what's up?"

"Guess what? I want to tell our exciting news to the whole world."

"Oh, Bill, don't overdo it now."

"I know, I know, but we're gonna tell Mike in a couple of hours so get ready babe, I want to surprise him."

Oh no! Oh no, oh no, oh no, what now?!

"Babe, are you there?"

"Yes. Ok then, I'll be ready in an hour."

"Great, bye 80, I'll pick you up in an hour then."

"'Kay Billie, bye."

He hang up.

Great, just great. Yeah, Bill, I'm gonna get ready... for the worst.

- STILL FLASHBACK - MIKES'S P.O.V. -

The door bell rang.

Finally, it was time to face the cruel reality.

I opened the door.

A smiling Billie came in, followed by Adie. I didn't look at her, but she was looking at the floor.

They stayed there about an hour, and Billie was really in heaven.

Suddenly I had an urge to be alone so I went a moment in the kitchen, pretending I was thirsty. I heard footsteps coming nearer.

"Mike?"

I knew it, it was Adie.

I turned around and looked her straight in her eyes, I felt anger rising inside of me, but yet it was overcome by sadness. She was slightly shaking and on the edge of tears.

"Mike, listen, I didn't want to..."

"To what? Fuck him in front of me? I don't think so." I know I was being rude, but I didn't care.

"I didn't want to hurt you! You know I love you!"

"No, I don't know. I don't know anymore, 'cause the woman I love doesn't marry my best friend."

I was really upset.

"Mike, please..."

"Mike please what, Adie?"

"I..."

"You, nothing."

I walked towards her, and when I was an inch away I whispered: "Let's just pretend nothing happened between us, ok? Forget it. Forget that you first kissed ME not HIM. Forget that you lost your virginity to ME, not to HIM. Forget that I love YOU, and I was gonna propose. Forget that ring in your bedside table, and keep Billie's. I know they're the same," I said pointing at her hand. "Forget everything about us. Me and you. Just screw it, if you can. I can't, that's the reason why I'll love you forever, even if you're married to my very best friend. I can't forget it, but I'll try."

I walked past her but she begged me.

"Please, wai..."

"Adie, please, for one time, fuck off."

I didn't mean to say that, but what could I do?

Bill and Adie went away half an hour later, leaving me in my pain.

"I have to forget it. I must.”