"I love you, Adrienne..." "I love you too, Mike"

"I'm back..."

Just imagine the scene: me, in my shorts only, freezing on the stairs, looking down at him, and he, staring back up at me, his dark silhouette standing still in the doorway, his hand still on the doorknob, a few feet between us, but they were like miles to me.

Finally he took a few steps, closed the door behind him and turning around again to face me, he said, in nothing more than a whisper, “I’m back”.

I don’t know what made me move and talk, next, but I couldn’t really think straight ‘cause of the dream I’d just had. I took the last few steps, and walked fast towards him. He wasn’t surely expecting that.

I pinned him back against the door, and standing no more than a few inches away I yelled at him.

“The hell you’re back, fucking idiot! Where the fuck have you been? You answer the fucking phone, tell me they say your fucking house is ready and you can re-move in, and then you just fucking run away! What the fuck where you thinking about?! Have you even thought I could have been worried?!
But no! You HAD to make it worse, turning your fucking cell phone off! But why am I even talking now, ‘cause I bet you’re not even listening to me and I’m wasting my time trying to make my fucking best friend understand that I fucking care about him and he mustn’t dare to do such a fucking thing, ever again!”

He didn’t say anything, but just looked a me. I don’t know if my eyes were letting him know that I know something he doesn’t know I know.

“Yeah, Mike, I’ve missed you too.”

At least he didn’t loose his sarcasm. Fucking idiot.

“Do you know what time is it?!”

He checked his watch. “Yes, 2 am.” He said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“And do you think that’s the time to come back after you scared the living hell outta me?”

“I’m sorry” he said, looking down at his feet.

He looked like a too grown up kid, with those sad blue eyes, and the way he was just standing there moving his weight from a foot to another was sweet… Mike! DON’T think that. Dickhead!

“Don’t worry, Tre.”

He smiled at me, “I’m still sorry, though.”

“It’s ok.” I said calmly. It’s impossible to get angry and actually stay angry with him. “Come on, want some coffee?”

“At 2 am?”

“Yeah, why not?”

We headed in the kitchen silently. While I was making coffee he sat at the table.

The silence was driving me mad. I knew he was staring at the back of me, and both could sense the tension and awkwardness in the air, that’s why I didn’t want to turn around to face him. Yet, I was sure he didn’t know a thing about my dream, and I was sure I haven’t told him about the night he got drunk, not yet, so he couldn’t know about me knowing everything. Then why were we so distant? Or is it just my imagination?

Mike, you fucking idiot, think about Adie, for goodness’s sake!

As soon as I pictured her face in my mind, my heart melt. Thoughts about her kept running through my mind.

The day we first met… our fist kiss… our fist time… the ring I gave her and she still wears it even if she married my best friend… and I’ve never stopped loving her…

Yes, my life was with her…

“Mike?”

Tre interrupted my thoughts.

“You ok, man?”

“Yeah, sorry.”

By then the coffee was ready and we sat down in silence.

When he finished he stood and walked behind me, then he started to massage my shoulders.

“Mike, you’re fucking tense, mate, what’s up?”

“Oh, um…” I didn’t know how to tell him, because I couldn’t figure it out myself!

“Well, you scared me, Tre!”. Liar. Well, ok, true, but just in part.

“Ahah,” he laughed, “You know, you said the word fuck/fucking 10 times, when you yelled at me.”

I arched my head back ‘cause his massages sent shivers down my spine.”

“Oh Tre, fuck off.”

“That makes it 11.”

“Will you just stop it?”

“Ahah, no!”

Dumbass… well, I’m happy as long as he doesn’t ask me about the night he was drunk.