‹ Prequel: Random Thoughts
Sequel: Adjustments

Obsticles

Homecoming

Her alarm clock went off, even IF she was home she still had to be awake at a certain hour…no questions asked. Emily stretched as she slowly got out of bed, it was the first day of her winter break from college and her father, Gil Grissom, requested her to be at the lab to help out as she finished her last year double majoring at Yale University. Two different Biology Bachelors Degrees, Emily was just proud to have survived so many years.

Emily had gotten in her car, still tired, yet stubborn as she refused the coffee her father had made for her. She made it to the crime lab where it was rather crowded, Emily never remembered it being THIS crowded when she came home for the summer. She avoided smiles as she walked straight into the back to Grissom’s office where he examined a photo of evidence.

“Should I come back later?” Emily asked.

Grissom looked up at Emily as she yawned, this 25-year old girl who was his daughter was standing in front of him…he couldn’t believe she would be graduating in six months, he couldn’t believe it at all.

“Oh, no…you’re fine.” he said, putting his microscope down and looking at Emily with a content smile on his face.

Emily rocked the chair back and forth as she waited for Grissom to say something; she knew how hilarious he thought it was when she was antsy, especially when she was waiting for something. Emily wasn’t a very patient person. Grissom smiled at Emily and cleared his throat as he leaned back in his chair.

“…you enjoying your last year?” he asked her.

Emily rolled her eyes “Dad, just get to the point.” she said, he knew she didn’t want to be here. Working with her dad was hard, she didn’t like it…however she had no problem with Nick or Greg, especially Greg.

Grissom sighed as he looked at Emily “You are such a snoot sometimes, we’ve got a case that I think you will enjoy.” he told her. Emily sighed as she leaned back in her chair, Grissom looked at Emily and smiled “…I’ll let you work with Nick and Greg…” he said.

Emily’s eyes nearly popped out of their sockets, even though Nick flipped over an SUV with her in it the last time she saw him, she still wanted to work with him.

“Dad…gosh, I hate it when you do that!” Emily said, getting up from her chair and adjusting her jacket.

Grissom chuckled as he looked at Emily “I enjoy making you miserable,” he said, then just remembering to tell her something “Oh, yeah…if Greg isn’t in the lab anymore, it’s because he’s an CSI…” he told her.

Emily crossed her arms “Well that sucks…you’ve probably deranged him by now!” she said, grabbing her purse and walking out of the office.

“I love you!” he yelled, getting used to the silence again.

Emily walked into the ladies locker room to put her stuff away, it was empty which Emily hoped it would stay that way…she didn’t want anyone from Grissom’s team finding out that she was here. However, those hopes never happened for her.

Sara walked in, taking one look at Emily and got giddy in one second. “OH MY GOD…look at you! You get prettier every time I see you.” she said, giving Emily a hug as she smiled brightly. “You’re starting to look like your father…even though you’re adopted.” she said.

Emily flinched “Oh, god…don’t tell me that!” she said, squirming as she took off her jacket and threw it in her locker. Yes, Emily was adopted. From the age of 4, she had considered Gil Grissom her father…and she didn’t care what people thought.

“What?...Grissom would find it funny.” Sara said. Emily just rolled her eyes as she looked at Sara intensely, she didn’t say a word as she locked up her locker.

“DAD thinks a dead pig fetus is funny…” Emily said, walking out of the locker room and began to mindlessly roam the halls of the Las Vegas Crime Lab. Nick and Greg were out doing field work and Emily had nothing to do, so she walked around the lab trying to ignore a familiar face.

But everyone would probably know since either Sara or Grissom told.

But what only a few knew was the intimate relationship between Emily and Greg. Grissom didn’t know, of course! But Warrick, Nick, and Catherine did…and Emily hoped that it stayed that way, it had been that way for two years.

It was the best kept secret in the crime lab, oddly enough.

Emily waited in the break room, undisturbed until Nick ran in and screamed in joy “IT’S MY FAVORITE SIDEKICK!!!” he yelled, grabbing Emily and pulling her into the biggest and hardest hug she had ever been a part of. Emily smiled as he gave her a kiss on the cheek and put her down, Nick was more excited than Sara to see Emily Grissom again.

“How are you? I bet you’re glad this is it…your final year!” Nick said, nodding as Emily shrugged her shoulders.

“Yeah…getting an Associates in Chemistry during high school…I’m glad to be done with school…FOREVER…” Emily said, smiling as she took Nick’s arm.

Nick pulled her in for another hug “It’s really good to see you, I can’t believe it…25, graduating from YALE University…I still can’t believe you’re still that same 16 year-old who blew up Grissom’s lab!” he said.

Emily laughed “I wouldn’t be talking…Mr. I can flip a whole SUV by myself!” she said, pointing a finger at Nick who took it and acted like he was going to bite it when Warrick walked in and smiled.

“Hey…there she is…the little princess.” Warrick said, giving her a warm hug as he shook her back and forth.

“Nobody’s called me that since I was 5…” Emily admitted, smiling at Warrick.

“So is that why you’re so tough?” a familiar voice asked from behind Warrick’s shoulder, Emily and Warrick turned to see Greg. His blonde flat hair stuck to his face as he smiled at Emily: his one and only.

Emily pouted as Greg walked towards her slowly and embraced her like the best lover in the world. Emily held onto his tightly as Greg took in her sweet scent…oh, he hadn’t smelt it in so long…he still couldn’t believe they had been an item for a little over two years.

“Yeeaahh, if you guys are gonna start mating, I suggest the storage closet!” Nick said in a snarky tone. Warrick nudged his arm as he looked at the both of them.

“You guys are SO cute…Greg, putaringonthatfingeralready!” he said in a rush as he walked out of the break room, just as Grissom turned the corner to plain view of the break room.

Nick choked on air “Papa Bear!” he muttered, watching Greg and Emily let go of each other quickly, still gazing into each other’s eyes.

Greg smiled “Maybe later tonight, we can…”

“Yeah…we’ll have to huddle though.” Emily said, turning to her father as Grissom walked into the break room.

Grissom smiled “A little welcome party in here?” he asked. Nick shrugged his shoulder as he cleared his throat, making an excuse for him and Greg to leave and leave Emily and Grissom to talk about Yale.

“…so, Nick and Greg…and Warrick…and I are going out tonight, once they finish doing stuff.” Emily said.

Grissom looked at Emily, he expected to work on cases and get as much work in for her resume as she could…but he understood that it was her last year as a ‘student’, so he tried not to be heart broken when she tried to go have fun with her ‘friends’.