‹ Prequel: Random Thoughts
Sequel: Adjustments

Obsticles

Survival of the Fittest

“Greg, she’s your girl!” Nick said, his feet propped up on the table, Warrick nodded in agreement.

Greg shrugged his shoulders “I know, but Grissom is my boss and when he says something, I have to abide by it.” He said.

Warrick rolled his eyes “That whole time, she wanted to see you…she really did.”

“Yeah, and you and her have to talk about the baby at some point! I mean, it sucks that Grissom kicked you out of her room and forbid you any access, but he’s going to have to budge at some point!” Nick said.

Greg nodded “You don’t think I don’t know that? Nick…she’s gone back to Yale.” He said.

“Doesn’t mean you have to wait.” Warrick told him.

Greg nodded as he looked down at his feet “Maybe I should call her…” he said.

Nick shook his head “Maybe you should buy a plane ticket, go to Connecticut and sit her down…talk to her.” He told Greg.

Greg thought for a moment, what else was he going to do?

___________________________________________________________

Grissom walked into Emily’s room to find a letter, an old letter that had been read several times. With a post-it on it.

He picked up and read the post-it note from Emily before opening the letter and reading the letter from Lady Heather, he was lost and confused.

Grissom smiled as he looked up from the letter, he knew what she meant. Grissom remembered Lady Heather and Emily’s relationship. The mother-daughter relationship Emily wanted, but Lady Heather could not give her.

“Oh, Ems…” he muttered to himself as he sat on Emily’s bed and gazed over the letter a few more times before his phone rang.

He put the letter down and pulled his cell phone out.

“Grissom,” he said.

“I landed, safe and sound…” Emily told him.

Grissom smiled “Ok, so you’re back in Connecticut?” he asked her, the obvious question.

Emily sighed “Yes. I’m going to go to my dorm and get ready for the quarter. So I’ll talk to you later dad.” She told him.

“Alright, I love you Emily.” He told her.

“I love you too, dad.” Emily said before hanging up the phone.

Grissom hung up his phone, losing his smile as he feared for the worst for Emily without her wall of protection to save her from everything.

_________________________________________________________

Emily slowly opened her dorm door open, the room was lit up and the soft sound of rock music spread through the room as she walked in.

Her roommate and best friend, Riley, looked up from her homework and gasped as she put her book down and got up from her bed “Oh my god! That son of a bitch!” she yelled as Emily sat on her bed.

Emily sighed “Not now, Riley…” she muttered.

Riley sat on her bed “Well, what happened? I mean,”

“I know…he watched Greg and I…and when Greg left, he raped me.” Emily said softly, looking up at Riley whose mouth was wide open.

Riley didn’t know what to say “I’m so sorry.” She said.

Emily shook her head “Don’t be, it has nothing to do about us, it’s about Aaron…who I hope I never see…”

“Yeah, or I’ll have to kick his ass…but he hasn’t been around lately.” Riley said, shutting her text book with her homework inside.

Riley looked at Emily, she had been beaten, bruises all over her face and neck with one on her collar bone. She had scratches everywhere, with one black eye to seal the deal.

“How does Greg feel?” Riley asked.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “I don’t know, I haven’t spoken to him since it happened.” She told Riley.

“What do you mean?” she asked.

Emily sighed, picking at her finger nails “Dad found out about us…and Greg…my dad told Greg to stay away from me, because I’m pregnant.” She said.

Riley was in shock “Wow…this just keeps better and better doesn’t it?” she asked.

Emily smiled as she nodded “Yeah. I’m about 6 weeks.” She told Riley who let a smile sneak onto her lips with the joyful news.

“So, notes from this past week...” Emily said, breaking out of the conversation.

Riley nodded as she grabbed her bag “Luckily for you, they didn’t give us that many.” She said.

________________________________________________________

Greg was going over evidence when Catherine walked in “So, how’s it going?” she asked.

“Well, I found a shoe print, but other than that, this is going to be a useless piece of evidence.” Greg told her, looking up at Catherine.

Catherine sighed as she looked at Greg “We need to talk, about Emily.” She said, Greg didn’t want to discuss it with anybody, not since Warrick and Nick read him the right act.

Greg sat down, Catherine smiled “She’s going to be a mom soon, and that’s a huge deal. Now, I don’t care what Grisssom told you, you love her more than anything and she needs you…I expect you to go see her…” Catherine said.

Greg was surprised as he looked at Catherine, who expected an answer.

“How am I supposed to get to her, I can’t afford to fly, and I can’t drive to the other end of the country.” Greg said, not intending to argue with her.

Catherine sighed, thinking for a moment, then smiled “I got an idea.” She said.

________________________________________________________

It had almost been 2 weeks, Riley and Emily hadn’t spot anything suspicious involving Aaron as they walked down the hall to their dorm on a Friday night.

Riley sighed “You sure you don’t wanna go?” she asked Emily as she opened the door.

Emily nodded “Yeah, I’m just tired. Have fun at the party and I’ll see you when you get back.” She said, opening her door.

“Later, Emily” she said.

Emily’s nerves were getting to her, she was nervous and anxious as she closed the door behind her and was alone in her dorm room.

“Snap out of it Emily.” She told herself while looking in the mirror next to her bed.

It was silent for awhile, she laid on her bed with the lamp still on, she closed her eyes for a nap when the bedroom door opened.

“You forget something?” she asked, not opening her eyes. But Riley, or so she thought, didn’t answer.

Emily opened her eyes “Ril—”

There he was, front of her with a rag pushed towards her mouth. Aaron Johnson was back and was after her.

But Emily Grissom wasn’t going to give up without a fight, not this time.