‹ Prequel: Random Thoughts
Sequel: Adjustments

Obsticles

The New Ideas

“Well maybe we should go back to the *scene* Nick!” Greg argued in the hallway as Emily walked by and looked at the both of them. Nick just took it, he stared Greg down as he kept going, which made Emily almost laugh as Nick just rolled his eyes.

Emily stood by Nick as Greg continued to go on, angry with the lack of evidence and understanding. She couldn’t believe that her boyfriend had gone from loveable lab rat to an unpredictable serious CSI.

“Greggo…chill out! Who’s the expert here?” Nick said, walking down the hall with Emily by his side. “He’s always under the impression that he has to do everything right the first time…” he said to Emily.

Nick and Emily walked the halls, Nick put his arm around Emily as he sighed “So, what are you gonna do once you graduate?” Nick asked as they walked into the break room.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “I don’t know…maybe find a job that doesn’t involve my dad…” she said, smiling at Nick as she grabbed a cup of coffee. Nick nodded as he watched her make coffee, just like her father does.

“…you mean, you and Greg aren’t gonna…” Nick trailed off as he looked around the break room to make sure Grissom wasn’t close by.

Emily shook her head, she grabbed her cup of coffee and looked at Nick “…probably, in your eyes…and in Warrick’s eyes…and probably even Catherine’s eyes, Greg and I must seem stable since a long distance relationship for 2 years is hard to do, but I don’t think anything is really gonna change when I graduate and move back here to Las Vegas.” Emily said, taking a sip of her coffee.

Nick growled “But…I wanted to see a white wedding dress, and hear the tiny foot steps and mini Greg’s and Emily’s running around.” he said. Nick pouted and pretended to cry as Emily just rolled her eyes at him.

“You really think my dad would let that happen?” Emily pointed out, leaning against the counter top as she drank her coffee.

Nick looked at Emily’s facial expression, the way her eyes darted away from Nick, and her body language was screaming out something COMPLETELY different than what she wanted to give off.

“You think Greg’s changed…you think him being a CSI means that everything you love about him is gone.” Nick said, moving closer to Emily who just glared at him.

Emily denied the feelings, but she couldn’t help but admit to herself that the way he looked at her, and the way he held her was a lot different than from the summer. “…I don’t think that at all!” she said.

“Don’t think what at all?” Greg asked, walking into the break room with a file in his hand.

Emily continued to look at Nick as she shook her head “Nothing, Greg…” she muttered, looking down and away from the both of them. Greg looked at the both of them, Nick smiled at Greg as he walked to a table and sat down.

“I hope those are results.” Nick said, looking at Greg, who still had his eyes on Emily who finally looked up and at the both of them.

Greg nodded and turned to Nick “Yeah…these are those cloth particles that we had tested the other day…the material matched the cheerleaders’ outfit she was wearing when she died.” Greg said, looking at Nick who nodded as he stretched for a moment.

“Then somebody’s lying about something.” Nick said, turning to Emily and smiled brightly “You wanna go to a high school Pep Rally, Ems?” he asked.

Emily rolled her eyes “I hated those things.” she said.

The 3 watched the pep rally, just sitting back and looking around to find anything suspicious. Nick managed to pull the principal aside to ask a few questions about the suspicious homicide that was being investigated.

Greg and Emily watched as Nick interviewed the principal, they both didn’t see anything out of the ordinary when Greg turned to Emily “…I think we should tell Grissom…” Greg said out of the blue.

Emily turned to Greg confused “Tell my dad what?” she asked. Greg looked at her for a moment when she finally got the hint. Emily’s eyes grew big as she cleared her throat “Can we talk about this later? Maybe on the way back?” she asked. Greg nodded as he turned back to the pep rally where he spotted a jock who looked suspicious as he hid something in his hand.

“I’ll be back…” Greg said, getting up from the bleacher and motioning Nick to where he was going. Emily sighed as she watched Greg follow the student.

Of course, nothing goes well for a CSI, they had gotten more evidence and a suicidal jock who was considered a suspect due to circumstantial evidence for a motive. Greg, Nick, and Warrick looked at the evidence while Emily just watched THEM look at the evidence.

“…she was pregnant…” Nick muttered, looking at a file full of new evidence, that they pretty much knew from the suicidal jock that was locked up until further notice. Emily sighed as she leaned against the counter top, the 3 men turned to her in confusion.

“…you wanna share with the class?” Nick asked.

Emily smiled as she crossed her arms “She was pregnant, and her boyfriend, who I’m guessing ISN’T the father, got angry…” she said.

Warrick sighed “You think it’s that easy?” he asked.

“Well…he tries to kill himself in the middle of school day,” she said, sitting down next to Warrick “Imagine if you will, the perfect guy, and the perfect girl…they’re high school sweethearts and the most popular couple at school…she gets pregnant, but hey, they haven’t had sex yet…” Emily said, Warrick wasn’t ready for it to click yet.

Emily sighed “…or maybe they used protection…BUT, she gets drunk at a party and does the horizontal hustle with his best friend…” she said, letting Warrick try to connect the dots.

Nick looked at Greg, then at Warrick who was trying to do the math, Emily looked at Nick who shook his head “…I don’t wanna listen to you and your great theories…but I’ll go ahead and maybe do a DNA test.” Nick said, looking at Emily with an aggravated look on his face.

“You’re giving me that face because you know that I might actually be right.” Emily said, getting up from the table.

Warrick cleared his throat “Before you go…we have to plan your little ‘huddle’.” he said, smirking at Emily. Greg and Nick smiled as Emily turned around and looked at Warrick closely.

“…we’re going out, you guys get shitfaced, we all crash at Nick’s place…viola. If Grissom asks, you all have an alibi…” Emily said, looking at Greg before walking out of the meeting room.

Nick and Warrick turned to Greg with casual smiles on their faces. “She wants you, man…” Nick said, punching Greg in the arm. “You gonna give it to her?” Nick said, trying to hold in his laugh.

Greg shrugged one of his shoulders “…the thing is, it’s been 2 years and she’s graduating…” he said, thinking deeply for a moment before looking back up at Warrick and Nick.

Warrick was surprised “You think it’s time?” he asked.

Greg nodded “Yeah…but, I mean…I told her that I wanted to tell Grissom what has been going on with ‘us’ and she totally dodged the question.” Greg said, confused as he looked at his buddies.

“…how would you feel if your daughter just up and front told you that she had been sleeping with one of your CSI’s for 2 years? And you never thought.” Warrick asked.

Greg sighed “I know, and I understand where she’s coming from, it’s just that, it’s time for a ‘bigger’ step,” he said to the both of them.

If only Greg knew what Nick knew.