‹ Prequel: Random Thoughts
Sequel: Adjustments

Obsticles

Secrets

Emily managed to stay away from the gang and hid out in the lab with Hodges who was working on the case work that Emily needed.

“Just admit it, you like me…” Hodges said, looking into the microscope.

Emily just shook her head as she rolled her eyes “…maybe I should just leave, since I’m making you THAT uncomfortable!” she said, walking out of the lab.

Grissom was walking by as Emily walked forward, she took one step, then slipped on some spilt coffee and landed on the floor.

“EMILY…” Grissom yelled, running to her aide as she just sat in the mess. Grissom slowly helped her up while Greg ran into the hallway and smiled at the both of them.

“I DID IT!” he squealed, Emily and Grissom looked at each other confused as Greg sighed “…I solved it! BY myself…” he said.

Grissom cocked an eye brow “…huh…” he said, then turning back to Emily who was beginning to worry about the coffee stain on her kaki pants that she was wearing.

Emily smiled at the both of them “I’m gonna go home…and change…excuse me.” she said as she walked off to get her purse.

Greg looked at Grissom and sighed “…please explain to me how you two get along so well?” he asked, crossing his arms.

“…I don’t know, Greg.” Grissom said, walking away from Greg and demanding someone clean up the mess on the floor.

Emily was putting on new clothes, still debating if she should go back to the lab or not. The day was slow and now boring since her case had been finished, so what was the point of going back to the lab?

The phone rang, Emily rushed to get it since caller I.D said that it was the lab…it was just Nick.

“Hey, we need your help with some paper work.” Nick said, Emily could almost hear him smiling. He liked messing with her like that.

Emily walked down the hallway towards the break room where Warrick, Nick, and Greg were sitting on the floor trying to organize papers.

Warrick sighed as he tried to put all the papers back into order as Emily walked in “Hey guys….” she said, looking at the three gentlemen sitting on the floor.

“Can I ask what you’re doing?” Emily asked, looking at all 3 of the guys.

Nick glared at Greg “…genius over here turned the fan on…blew every paper into the hallway!” he said.

Greg groaned “I said I was sorry!” he yelled.

“Well SORRY isn’t going to make it any easier for us!” Warrick said, looking at Greg, then up at Emily who began to kneel down and help put the papers up.

Emily grabbed papers and read them over “…you guys didn’t number these.” she muttered, looking at the three of them.

Warrick cocked his eye brow “Why would we want to do that?” he asked.

“Dad always told me that no matter what it is, you should always number the pages…” Emily said, embarrassed from quoting her father as she looked down at the papers and tried to organize them.

Nick sighed as he stood up for a moment “Umm…Ems,” he said, not sure what he should tell Emily about her father.

Emily looked up at Nick and smiled “Yeah?” she said.

“…oh jeez,” Nick said, turning away from Emily as he looked around the break room for a moment. Warrick and Greg were just as confused as Emily was as they looked at Nick.

Warrick stood up “You okay?” he asked.

Nick looked at Emily “Emily, you dad wanted me to tell you that—”

Grissom walked into the room “Emily, you’re back! I thought you’d be gone for the rest of the day…” he said.

Emily turned from Nick to Grissom, then back to Nick who kept his mouth shut and smiled at Grissom. Emily stood up slowly as she looked at the both of them staring each other down.

“…is there something wrong?” Emily asked softly.

Warrick and Greg were still on the floor as Emily looked at the both of them, Grissom smiled as he looked at Emily “…why don’t you go to my office. I’ll be there in a minute.” Grissom said.

Emily turned to Nick then sighed as she slowly walked out of the break room and into her father’s office where she waited.

It took Grissom awhile to get to his office, so Emily took the time to look through her father’s desk. There were tons of pictures of Emily when she was younger, a rattlesnake rattle that she had cut off from a snake when she was 7, small memories that Emily almost forgot.

That was until she saw a picture of her and Greg from when she was still in high school, it was obvious neither of them knew the picture was being taken as Greg was helping Emily examine evidence…she remembered the memory well.

Grissom cleared his throat, Emily nearly dropped the picture as she looked up and saw her dad. Emily put the picture down “Sorry,” she said, moving away from the desk and sitting down across from it.

“Am I in trouble?” Emily asked.

Grissom shook his head “No, you’re not in trouble.” he said with a smile, sitting at his desk. “I know that I always told you to be honest with me, and I hate to be hypocritical about my teachings for you…” he said.

Emily cocked her eye brow “…is this you coming out to me?” she asked. An evil glared was given to her, Emily gasped “I didn’t mean it like that!” she said, defending herself.

“Emily…I just wanted to let you know that, I’m going on a date tonight.” Grissom said, almost embarrassed with the confession.

Emily smiled “DAD, that’s great! Really…that’s awesome!!” she said, her smile getting bigger with every word.

“I’m going on a date with Sara…” Grissom said.

Emily lost her smile “That’s not so great…” she couldn’t help but sound mean as she lost every good feeling in her system. “But you always told me to never date a co-worker.” Emily pointed out.

Grissom nodded “I did, but I also told you to go with the flow.” he said.

“…I can’t believe this,” Emily said, slowly getting out of her seat almost about to break down.

Grissom sighed “We’re not finished talking…” he said.

Emily walked to the door “Well I have nothing more to say, so I guess I am.” she said, walking out of the room and speed walking away from the office.

She admitted it to herself, she was jealous. She always thought she would be the only girl in Grissom’s life, but she was wrong and that tore her apart.

She stomped by the break room where Greg, Warrick, and Nick were still cleaning up the mess.

Nick flinched “There’s a disturbance in the force…” he said to Warrick and Greg who watched Emily hold back her fit as she walked into the locker room.