‹ Prequel: Random Thoughts
Sequel: Adjustments

Obsticles

Lunch and a Body

“Still don’t get it…” Emily said, getting confused with another one of Warrick’s jokes during lunch.

Warrick sighed “Whatever, it’ll come to you. So, you and Greg…” he said, almost craving the scoop on the both of them. He knew Greg’s side, he just wanted to know Emily’s badly.

Emily rolled her eyes “NOO, Warrick, I don’t wanna talk about that!” she said, holding back a chuckle.

“…well, honey…I gotta know, I don’t want to be as clueless as your dad!” Warrick said, tilting his head a little bit “Which surprises me that he’s never noticed anything…it’s not like Grissom to not notice.” Warrick pointed out.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “I don’t know…maybe you should ask him ‘hypothetically’ about us…” she said, almost acting like a middle school girl.

Warrick didn’t know how to respond to that, his mouth was open when their lunch was placed on the table.

“You’re mouth is open…” Emily said, looking down at her lunch while grabbing her fork and knife.

Warrick sighed as he looked at Emily, he scooted his chair closer into the table “Emily, honey, we have to talk…” he said, the sincerity and seriousness in his voice scared Emily as she looked at Warrick.

“Okay…” she said, putting her silverware down.

Warrick sighed as he looked at Emily “So…Greg’s been talking a lot to Nick and I…and I think you should hear this from me before you get blindsided. You and Greg are…well, you guys have matured and immatured together. And your relationship has been a rock, despite what you think. And I urge you to think about what your future with Greg holds…” Warrick said.

Emily thought for a moment “Did Greg put you up to this?” she asked.

“No, he didn’t…it’s just the way he talks about you guys, and taking the next step with you, and how afraid he is of taking it because of your dad.” Warrick said, looking at Emily seriously.

The girl thought for a moment as she looked at Warrick “…so you think, I should tell my dad about Greg and I?” she asked.

Warrick nodded “Yeah, I do.”

Emily sighed for a moment “You think it would be for the best?” she asked.

Warrick nodded “Emily, I know you…and I know you don’t want to break your dad’s heart over something like this.” he said.

She nodded “I’ll think about it.” she said.

Lunch was quiet, and the drive back to the lab was even quieter. Warrick felt uncomfortable as he struck a cord in Emily’s fragile heart. With all the things she had put Grissom through in her adolescent years, Warrick knew Emily didn’t want to hurt him in her adult years.

It turned into 4 days, just another 2 until Christmas and even though Grissom didn’t consider himself ‘Catholic’, Emily did which was why he continued to celebrate with her.

“So, what did you get your dad?” Catherine asked as she walked with Emily down a hallway.

Emily smiled “I got my dad this big Spider pillow…” she said, playing with the sleeve of her shirt.

Catherine smiled “…and Greg?” she asked, smirking as she waited for something dirty to come out of Emily’s mouth, but was shocked when it didn’t.

“I don’t know what to get him…” Emily said, shrugging her shoulders as she thought about WHAT to get Greg, but it’s not like he would get it on Christmas anyhow. Greg was going to be with his parents in California.

Greg’s parents didn’t know about ‘Emily and Greg’ either.

Catherine sighed as she looked at Emily “Well, I got Lindsay this adorable make-up kit…she’s been wanting it for awhile now.” she said.

Emily smiled “Aww, she’s getting at that age, already?” she asked, pouting as she did.

“Hey, I remember you were once at that same age…” Catherine said, stopping and pointing her finger at Emily, who blushed.

“…and yet I try hard to forget those times.” Emily said, almost laughing as she did.

Brass walked up to the both of them, a firm grin on his smile as Catherine embarrassed Emily further with the story of the first time she tried lipstick.

“I wish I could have been there to see that,” Brass said, in his sarcastic tone. “But anyway, ladies…we need you in the coroner’s office…” he said.

Emily looked at Brass “Me? In the coroner’s office?” she asked.

Brass nodded.

“What for?” Emily asked, nervously.

Brass shrugged his shoulders “I don’t know, Grissom just asked that you be there.” he said before walking off.

Catherine thought for a moment “Oh, so he finally killed Greg?” she asked.

Emily nudged Catherine as she turned around to go downstairs to the coroner’s office where Grissom was waiting for the both of them.

“Ahh, Emily there you are. Get some scrubs on and come with me.” he said, walking into the morgue.

Emily turned to Catherine “I’m starting to think he really did kill him…” she said, grabbing scrubs and washing her hands with Catherine right behind her.

Dr. Al Robbins was with Grissom as they spoke softly as Emily and Catherine entered the coroner’s room.

“Hey Emily…Catherine.” Dr. Robbins said as he walked around to the close table with a body on it.

Grissom took Emily’s hand as he walked over to the body where Emily took a good look at the body. It wasn’t Greg, and it surely wasn’t anybody she knew.

“This young lady was attacked, about 17, had the same multiple fractures you did when you were attacked back in the day.” Dr. Al Robbins said, letting Emily take a good look at the body.

Emily sighed “What’s the difference?” she asked.

Grissom looked at Emily “You’re alive. The injuries were identical to yours, but she didn’t make it, she died on the scene.” he explained to her.

“…so what you’re telling me is that I’m looking at myself?” she asked.

Robbins and Grissom nodded in unison while Catherine watched Grissom and Emily, Catherine knew Grissom wasn’t trying to scare her, but to have her understand just how lucky she was to have survived a brutal attack.

Emily looked at the body, the bruising on her face and neck made Emily reach up at hers and touch the thin scar on hers. Catherine looked at Grissom, he was finally teaching her ‘life’ and ‘death’.