Sequel: Until The End
Status: Finished- read the sequel "Until The End"

A Little Piece of Heaven

Peacemaker

I sighed and put another strand of tinsel on the tree. It didn't feel like Christmas yet, and it might have been because it doesn't snow in Huntington. But my mom was in the kitchen, happily making cookies with an eager Brian and Matt. Johnny and Zacky were helping me decorate the tree, and Naomi, Jimmy, and Craig were out getting food. I hadn't seen my dad in a couple weeks, and Mom informed me he thought it better to distance himself from me. I thought it was just because he couldn't handle the shame of being attacked by his daughter.

Jennifer and John were doing some last minute shopping, and I'm sure Naomi was glad they weren't over her shoulder all the time.

I looked at the mostly decorated tree. "The only reason you have this up is because of me, right?" I asked.

Zacky nodded and said, "We don't really decorate. We just kinda throw presents at each other."

"I don't mind it," Johnny said. "It just seems like a lot of work to put it up then take it down."

I nodded in agreement. It hadn't even been my idea to decorate, more my mom's. But I didn't really feel like arguing. So we were here decorating while the intoxicating scents of my mom's homemade cookies drifted in from the kitchen. I could tell Zacky's mouth was watering; he kept looking back toward the kitchen. I flicked him in the arm.

"If you wanted to eat cookies, you shoulda volunteered to help my mom," I said. "And now Brian and Matt get them first."

"Then why didn't you volunteer?" asked Johnny, giving me a peck on the cheek.

"Because I've had them before," I replied. "You guys haven't. If we're lucky, maybe she'll bring some in to us."

"Then you're in luck." I turned around and saw my mom holding a tray of cookies. "I wouldn't let my daughter go hungry, now would I?"

I hugged her and took a sugar cookie from the tray. I noticed Brian and Matt coming out of the kitchen, each wearing aprons. I laughed, knowing my mom liked to make people bake by her rules which included wearing aprons. Brian and Matt, both men of rather large proportions, looked so adorable in them. Johnny took a cookie and looked at Matt and Brian. He smiled, and I knew he was creating jokes to make later.

"Sup, Betty Crocker?" laughed Zacky to Matt. "I see you and Martha Stewart are getting along nicely."

"Martha Stewart ain't afraid to go back to jail, if you know what I mean," Brian replied.

Zacky flipped him off. My mom sighed and set the tray of cookies on the table. She put her arm around Brian and Matt's shoulders. I chuckled a bit. Looks like my mom had become quite acquainted with the two. I smiled.

"I'm afraid we'll have to be leaving after Christmas," Mom said.

"Aren't you staying for Naomi and Jimmy's wedding?" I asked.

"I have to get back to work, otherwise I would," replied my mom. "Promise you'll call, though."

"Ahh...I'm gonna miss you, Christine," said Matt, giving my mother a huge hug.

"Matt, please don't kill my mother," I said.

Matt let go of my mom, but she didn't seem to mind. I had gotten my charm from my mom, and I wasn't ashamed of it at all. I was glad I had her for my mom. It was my dad I was always worried about. I had good reason to, too.

I looked back at the Christmas tree. It felt weird. This was my first Christmas away from Iowa. My mom put a hand on my shoulder, and I knew she felt the same way. I didn't want to keep her away from the rest of her family. After all, I was just one of many family members. She kissed my cheek, and I smiled. Mom always knew what I was feeling.

"I'm gonna miss you, Mom," I said. "Be safe out there in Iowa. I know how it gets in winter."

"Don't worry about me, Liss," Mom replied. "You've got Naomi and five strong men to protect you from anything here. I'll just put the chains on my truck. I should be telling you to be safe." She chuckled a little, and I nodded.

I knew she was referring to all the sex I'd been having, and I was a bit uncomfortable. She patted my arm gently.

"Well, boys, you wanna make some spritz cookies now?" she said.

Brian and Matt followed her back into the kitchen. Johnny, Zacky, and I looked at the tree. We'd only decorated 2/3 of it because none of us were tall enough to reach the top. Leave it to the three shortest people in the house to decorate a nine foot tree. Genius, Lissa. Pure genius. Johnny rested his arm on my shoulder.

"Anyone got a chair to stand on?" he laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shorty McShort Shorts. Haha!

I'll probably be updating two or three times a day, so watch for more.

Comments are great! Keep 'em comin'!