Sequel: Until The End
Status: Finished- read the sequel "Until The End"

A Little Piece of Heaven

I'm Not Okay

Naomi and I sat in the waiting room of the small doctor's office. We looked across at her mother, who had insisted we both get tested for STDs. I rolled my eyes and leaned over to Naomi.

"Is this any of your mother's business?" I asked.

Naomi shook her head and picked up a magazine. She replied, "This is why I don't want her here for the wedding. She tried ordering a chocolate cake when she knows I don't like chocolate cake. I caught the order form before she could send it back."

A nurse came out. She'd already tested us, so I figured it couldn't get much worse- or any more embarrassing. She called Naomi's name, and she and her mother stood up. I saw the nurse tell them something, and Jennifer breathed a sigh of relief. I had doubted from the very beginning that she had anything. Naomi hadn't got around like I had.

The nurse waved me over next, and I took a deep breath. She looked at the next paper on her clipboard, but she said nothing. This startled me.

"Turner, Lissa," said the nurse. "I have good news."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"However, I have other news for you."

One of my eyebrows shot up in surprise. What could she have to tell me that would have anything to do with this?

"You're about one month pregnant," she said. "Congratulations."

I felt the color drain from my face, and my head spun in circles. I clutched the nurse's arm for support, and she looked at me with concern.

"Miss Turner?" she said.

"P-pre-pregnant-t?" I stuttered. "How?"

"Well, you should have learned this in high school, but-"

"No- I know how but...I was told I was unable to have children."

"Miracles happen, Miss Turner. And you are one lucky woman."

I grimaced. I might have been lucky, yes, but I wasn't ready for this. I don't think I ever could be ready for a child. Especially since I was told I would never have a child. As proof of that, I had never had a period, so how was it possible? The nurse showed me my form, and there it was in bold print. Pregnant. I closed my eyes and tried to remember a month ago. Johnny. At least it was Johnny. My night with Zacky was longer than that, and past that was longer still. How would I tell Johnny? I knew he loved me, and I sure as hell loved him too. But this was...a huge step.

"Lissa?" said Naomi. "You ready to go?"

I looked at my friend. Her eyes were begging me to leave this place, so I nodded. She didn't ask me why I was shaken or what had happened. For that, I was happy, but I knew I'd have to tell Johnny somehow. I picked up my phone, but I set it back in my pocket and sighed. Jennifer dropped us off at home and went back to her hotel. The wedding was in a week, and soon we would be rid of her permanently.

I followed Naomi into the living room. She pulled her arms around Jimmy, and they both smiled. I loved watching those two. Everytime they saw each other, it was like they were star-crossed lovers that had finally been able to be together. It was like it was straight out of a chick flick, and it made me smile too.

Johnny touched my arm and said, "Hey, babe. How'd everything go?"

I looked at his beautiful brown eyes. He smiled at me, but I didn't say anything. I wanted to scream it. Tell him. But I couldn't. Instead I said, "Good."

"Wanna go somewhere for dinner?" he asked.

"Sure," I anwsered. "Where to?"

"Cafè Joli Peon?" he said. There was that sexy French again.

"Sounds good to me."

"Wear your dress." He winked at me, and I giggled.

This was going to be harder than I thought. Every time I looked at him, I got those butterflies in my stomach. Or it could have been the feet of my unborn child kicking me. Did that come now or later? Either way, I felt sick. Johnny must have noticed because he put his arm around my waist.

"You alright?" he said.

"Huh?" I said. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine. I'll just go get changed now."

I ascended the stairs to my room and flopped down on my bed. The sheets were comforting as I lay there staring at the ceiling. It was still unreal to me. A child. Living and growing inside me. Even when I thought it was impossible, it had happened. I closed my eyes and drifted off.
---------------------------------------------------------
"Lissa?"

My eyes shot open. Johnny was standing over me, looking quite concerned. I looked over at the clock and noticed I'd been asleep for an hour. I sat up quickly and stood. Johnny caught me as I nearly fell back onto the bed. He smiled and kissed me.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I guess I just...fell asleep," I replied. "Are we still going?"

"We've gotta hurry," Johnny said.

I nodded and went to my closet. I pulled my dress out and set it on my chair. I stripped down, not caring that Johnny was still there. He'd seen me with less on than this. I pulled my dress on, expecting it not to fit, but it did. The fatness of pregnancy must come later. Johnny zipped up the back and tied the ribbon in the back. He kissed my neck and strung his fingers through mine. I smiled.

"You look gorgeous," he whispered.

I kissed him, and he went downstairs to wait for me. I slipped my grandmother's ring on my finger and put on the earrings Johnny had given me. I looked in the mirror. I didn't see what Johnny must have seen, but I did look nice. I sighed, hoping I could tell him at dinner but knowing I'd chicken out. I always dreaded giving big news. It was never my thing back home, and it wasn't my thing here.

Naomi met me at the bottom of the stairs. She smiled at me, and I hugged her. She led me to Johnny at the front door, and I linked arms with him. He kissed me.

I never felt so great in my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just watched the A7X Tribute to Jimmy. It was beautiful and I was crying and laughing the whole time. If you haven't watched it- go to their website. It's wonderful closure, and I know you'll think so too.

Comments, anyone?