Status: Updates will be slow and irregular. Sorry.

Frightened Blue Eyes

Chapter 15

I heard the door to the toilets open. I felt the panic begin to course through me. Quickly I slipped into one of the cubicles and bolted the door. Sitting down on the toilet lid I pulled my knees up to my chest so me feet couldn’t be seen under the door. I squeezed my eyes tightly closed as I listened to the tap of feet on the stone floor. I opened my eyes tentatively as the tapping stopped. There was a shadow in front of the door, there was a soft knock followed by Nicky’s gentle voice.

“Toby, are you in there?” I put my feet back on the floor and lent to unlocked the door. Nicky opened it and slipped in. I kept my head down as he closed and locked the door once again. “What are you doing in here before school?” I shrugged and kept looking down so he wouldn’t notice. “Toby?” He crouched down in front of me and looked up at my face. I looked away and tried to hide the slowly forming black eye. “Toby, look at me baby.” Nicky’s hand touched my cheek and slowly turned my head so I was looking at him. I saw his face change and I couldn’t stop the tears beginning to form. “Oh Toby.” Nicky sighed. He tenderly touched the bruised skin round my right eye. “Who did this to you?” I looked away and bit my lip. “Toby. Tell me.” He commanded, I looked at him. His eyes were so full of gentle authority that I couldn’t hide it from him.

“Conner.” I whispered. Nicky sighed and stood up. He took my hand and helped me to my feet. I shifted the bag on my shoulder and looked at my feet.

“Come on. You can’t hide in here all day.” I looked up.

“I have before.” Nicky blinked at me then pulled me into a tight hug. I felt him take a deep breath and rest his chin on my shoulder. I bit my lip and with all the confidence I could muster I hugged him back. I rested my head on his shoulder and let my fingers link loosely behind his back. I smiled softly to myself as he began to rub my back slowly. I shivered as I felt his breath tickle my neck. It was nice just to be held. I felt safe and secure and protected. It was nice.

“We’d better get to class.” He said softly as we pulled reluctantly apart. Nicky squeezed my hand was we walked out of the toilet cubicle. I walked over to the sink and examined my reflection in the mirror. I bit my lip and swung my bag round so it was in front of me. Nicky watched silently as I unzipped the front pocket and pulled out a small make up bag. I caught sight of him in the mirror and blushed.

“I don’t want people seeing my black eye. Someone might tell Max, then he’ll go off and punch someone.” I explained as I dapped foundation then concealer over my bruised skin. Nicky smiled and walked closer to me. I shivered as I felt his hand press to my lower back.

“You don’t have to explain.” He said with a soft smile. He lent forward and wrapped his arms round my waist from behind. His chin rested on my shoulder as he smiled at me. I blushed and continued to cover up my bruise.

***

We filled out of class side by side and drifted off to the corner of the music block so we could listen to the band practising for the school concert. Nicky sat down and pulled me down next to him. I rested my head on his shoulder and pulled my knees up to my chest. I felt Nicky chuckle as I wrapped my arms round my knees and lent closer to him.

“You seem to trust me a little more.” He said gently. I grinned up at him and nodded.

“Well you’ve been so nice to me and you really haven’t had to.” I shrugged and looked out over the rest of the playground. “And Max says I’d be an idiot if I didn’t trust you.” I whispered with a blush. Nicky laughed and hugged me.

“You and Max are really close aren’t you?” I nodded and sighed heavily. It was true. Max and I were very close, he was one of the few people in the world I trusted completely, I would even go as far as to say he was the only person in the world I trusted completely. Nicky was worming his way in, but I still didn’t trust him as much as Max.

“Yeah, we’re close. He’s pretty much all I’ve got. Well there is mum but she hasn’t really treated me the same since I came out to her and dad’s a homophobe. Most kids think it’s their fault when their parents break up, but for me, it actually was my fault. They were perfectly happy until I told them I was gay, dad flipped out and they broke up. Max was the only one who excepted me completely and didn’t change how he acted around me. I couldn’t be more grateful to him if I tried.” Nicky squeezed me gently and rested his chin on my head.

“Is that why you don’t tell him what happens at school?” I nodded and tried to fight back the tears.

“He’s been through so much shit for me and I don’t want him to suffer more than he already has.” Nicky nodded slowly. We sat in silence and listened to the music drifting out of the open window in the practice room behind us. I had never felt so happy at school.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?