False Pretense

Justify.

“You have got to be kidding me! Jameson if you don’t get that bloody ball, Merlin help you I don’t—“

I rolled my eyes at Malfoy. Despite the guy’s semi-cowardly demeanor, he could be a tough team captain when provoked. He was also fascinating to watch, the way his lithe body moved on a broom—beautiful. But Harry Potter, he was magnificent. It was as if he molded together with his broom and the air around him.

“Back off Draco, he’s doing his best. He has been practicing against you all year, he knows what to do.”

Blaise flew down, twirling his beater’s stick and sending a smirk down at Malfoy who was sitting on the bleachers. He had broken his leg and he was ordered to sit out the game tomorrow. He let out a huff and flailed his arms.

“Jameson if you don’t beat Potter at tomorrow’s match I will personally make your life hell.”

“Like you’ve ever beaten Potter, Draco, he’s unmatched, with the exception of that time when the Weasley girl filled in. If Calen beats Potter the school would have a right fit!”

Blaise and Malfoy had a fun friendship, well if that’s what you wanted to call it. Zabini was the only person Malfoy ever really socialized with this year. I glanced around—I still hadn’t caught the snitch yet. I saw a flash of gold and took off across the pitch. I noticed it dart between two pillars and head off the pitch towards the locker room hut.

It fluttered around, as if trying to decide which way it wanted to go. I saw a blur pass by me and before I knew it Potter sat in front of me on his broom with the snitch in hand. I hadn’t even realized he was outside. I heard claps and cheers. I glanced around, right, his team. They had the pitch for practice after us.

He looked a bit sheepish, rubbed at the back of his neck and offered me the small, immobile ball.

“Sorry Jameson, I couldn’t resist.”

I merely raised an eyebrow and looked at the ball in his outstretched hand before turning away. I glanced towards the rest of my team, surrounding Malfoy where he was seated on the bleachers. Then I noticed his finger pointing in my direction and his arms flail some more—I was in for it. I could hear him before I reached him.

“…completely idiotic? How could you be so dense? Did you even realize other people were out here? Let alone Potter, came out of no where and stole that bloody thing right from the front of your face! Pull something like that tomorrow and you will find yourself removed from this team. Pomfrey be damned if she keeps me from playing after tomorrow’s game!”

I knew better than to bite back; Malfoy thrived on attention. He loved getting others riled up. I simply let him blow off his steam and smirked as Blaise led him off the bleachers and back towards the castle. My other teammates nodded in my direction and heading back themselves. I flew down to the ground and walked off. Ignoring the oncoming Gryffindors and slung my broom over my shoulder and headed off towards the lake.

I loved sitting at its edge, the occasional ripples from the giant squid and just think. Seven years at Hogwarts and tomorrow would be the game that decided who went up against Gryffindor for the House Cup this year. None of us seventh years—well except Malfoy—cared about who got to gloat next year, but it would be nice to at least make it to that final game.

I knew Malfoy was beyond disappointed that the one game that had so much riding on it, he couldn’t play. I’d gladly switch if Pomfrey would let him play. I relate very much to Weasley when he first started—crowds, I despised them. Let alone taunts. Granted I haven’t had to play Seeker often, Malfoy was certain to keep his spot, especially during games when we played Gryffindor.

“You do realize you could be doing something actually worthwhile instead of staring off into the distant horizon.”

I smiled at my intruder. I glanced over my shoulder at her. She placed herself down beside me.

“People can see.”

She gave me a deadpanned look and cracked open the book she had in her hands.

“Honestly, you’d think after four years of friendship, I could care less about everyone else’s opinion.”

“You care about Potter’s and Weasley’s.”

She merely turned a page.

“And yours you git.”

I smiled and leaned back on my arms, letting the sun bathe me in its warmth. I enjoyed Hermione Granger’s company. She was brilliant and extraordinarily entertaining. Plus she educated me on all things muggle and I gave her the inside scoop on the pureblood life of the wizarding world.

“What’s on your mind Calen, you’re never this quiet when I’m around.”

I sat up and looked at her and she finally met my gaze.

“Is it tomorrow’s game? I’m rooting for both of you, I’ll be decked out in a muggle jacket, green of course, but I’ll have my scarf. Oh won’t Lavender and Pavarti have a melt down at my fashionable mis-match.”

We both laughed. Brown and Patil were some of the vainest and shallow of students to ever grace the halls of Hogwarts I think.

“What are you reading? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that book in the library.”

She closed it and showed me the cover.

“You wouldn’t. It’s muggle. It’s ‘In Country’, a book about a muggle war. About a daughter whose father died and no one will talk to her about him. The war, well it’s about the States, they didn’t win, but they didn’t really lose either. Most people thought the war was a waste of troops and it had some pretty horrendous repercussions. Want to read it when I’m finished?”

I just nodded. The muggle literature she would share with me fascinated me. I was a sucker for this Shakespeare bloke, Merlin could he write. She put the book down and slid over to my side, cuddling into me.

“Don’t you dare say people can see; how are you doing?”

I knew she meant more than just today. She meant in general and mostly about tomorrow.

“I’m not sure to be honest. He hadn’t cut me any slack till I was given the back-up position in third year and this week, this week we’ve had practice every day. If I don’t pass out from exhaustion tomorrow, I think I can do it. Then again before practice ended today, I found the snitch and then Potter came out of no where and stole it right from under me. It was right there, all I had to do was reach out and I was, then this blur and a hand came and took it.”

She wrapped an arm around me, give me a slight squeeze. Most people were affronted with our friendship, and that’s all it was. We never cared—with the exception of Weasley—if anyone assumed otherwise.

“Do you like it? Do you enjoy seeking?”

I nodded against her head. She reached with her free hand and took one of my own and started fiddling with my fingers—she told me I had piano hands.

“I love flying more than I do seeking. It’s, it’s like I’m free from everything when I’m up there. The wind blowing through my hair, the way it just curls around you and the view, I love the view. You want to see my favorite one?”

I felt her tense; I’m the one that got her to get on a broom. I’m the one that can get her into the air. Not even Potter and Weasley know she’s been up in the air.

“Yes.”

“Brilliant!”

I stood, offering my hand to help her up. I pulled her in for a hug once she was on her feet. We parted and bent down to pick up my broom. I straddled it and motioned for her to do the same. Once she had her arms wrapped around me I took off. She always squeaked when we took off.

I was always slow with her, but I could tell she understood why I enjoyed it so much. She always told me the way I flew, the passion I showed, I shared with Potter. I flew us towards the back of the castle; sunset was my favorite time of day. The way the colors seemed to just melt away, marking the end of another day. I loved watching it from near the Astronomy Tower.

You could see the whole valley we were nestled in, the setting sun reflected off the lake and watching it on my broom was an even bigger escape for me than just flying. I heard her gasp when I just started to sweep lazily in a loopy figure eight.

“Is this where you’re at when I can’t find you sometimes?”

I just nodded.

“It’s beautiful.”

I nodded once more. The silence that fell between us as we took in the sight before us was comfortable. After a few more minutes I brought us down to the ground, where we were before.

“Mione, what, what are you doing?”

We glanced over; Potter and Weasley were holding her book and staring at her wide-eyed, or perhaps the both of us. She climbed off and smoothed her skirt.

“What did it look like I was doing Ronald? I’m permitted to spend time with my friends, am I not?”

He moved to say something but she cut him off.

“Don’t you dare! Don’t you dare Ronald Weasley!”

He always gave her a hard time, or rather me a hard time. He was under the impression I was going to steal her away from him. She snatched her book from Potter and grabbed Weasley’s arm and hauled him off towards the castle.

“Sorry about them.”

I glanced over at Potter, still standing there. He was fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. I just shrugged.

“And, and about earlier, I, I shouldn’t have done that.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“Is there a reason you’re still standing here? Are you going to tell me to stay away from her too?”

His eyes flashed with something akin to sorrow before he steeled his gaze—one I was used to seeing directed at me, just not from him, from Malfoy. One that let me know I was insignificant because they were making me that way.

“She tells me about you.”

I dropped my broom and walked right up to him. His eyes were greener the closer you were to him—slightly unnerving actually. I was barely a foot from him.

“I don’t want or need your pity Potter. I’m not a project; your hero complex does not need to add me to your never-ending list. Just because I’m pureblood doesn’t mean I was brought up to despise all things different. I was not raised by Death Eaters for parents, not like most of my house. Don’t judge me based solely on others of my house.”

He reached into his pocket and pulled something out. He held out his hand, opening it, palm up.

“I shouldn’t have done that.”

He looked like he was fighting to say something he either didn’t want to or couldn’t.

“I watched you, watched as you chased it, nothing seemed to matter but this stupid ball. I’ve never seen you fly before, or I’ve never paid attention. I think tomorrow will be real match, one I’ve never been able to have with Malfoy.”

I blinked in surprise—he had just complimented me.

“Here, you have it. I’ve plenty and so does the school. Good luck tomorrow.”

He shoved the snitch at me and gave a slight nod before turning and heading towards the castle. What just happened? Well first of all I’m going to have a word with Hermione, she doesn’t need to be telling my life story to anyone, let alone Potter of all people. With a heavy sigh I turned to retrieve my broom and head towards the castle. I noticed a figure standing at the top of the steps—Malfoy.

With determination in my steps I walked right up the steps and directly by him. His arm reached out and stopped me.

“Jameson we need to talk.”

I glared at him.

“No we don’t. Unhand me and leave me alone, I told you that last week. You’re lucky I’m willing to keep my place, otherwise our house would forfeit our chance at the Cup.”

He released his hold on me, but he kept his gaze.

“You won’t forgive me will you?”

I’ve never heard that tone of desperation in his voice—ever.

“I’ve already done that.”

I walked inside, not bothering to wait for a response. He followed, he had to. I felt his hand on me again. With pent up emotions slipping to the surface, I whirled around and grabbed the collar of his robes.

“Leave me alone. I’ve told you twice now and you’ve ignored me. You were in the wrong, I said I forgave you, leave it at that and do not touch me ever again.”

His eyes wide, fear evident as he stared at me. He was limp in my arms, unwilling to anger me even more.

“I’m sorry Calen.”

I dropped him, watched as he stumbled to upright himself. He stood tall, squared his shoulders and smoothed his robes. Then he slumped his shoulders and hung his head—in all of my years dealing with the Malfoy’s I’ve never seen a single one of them slouch in defeat. He took a deep breath before he lifted his head and gaze to meet my own. He seemed to be searching for something.

“Just know I wouldn’t have risked that with just anyone. I know you don’t agree with what my family stands for, but I’m not my father. I’ll respect your wishes and leave you alone. Good luck in the match tomorrow.”

I could only watch in shock as he walked towards the dungeons. I turned in the opposite direction. I didn’t want to be in the same area as him. I went up, in the direction of the Astronomy Tower—I enjoyed the stars and I needed a distraction. I walked by numerous couples snogging in the halls. I finally reached the stairs to my destination and went up them.