Status: Finit.

Boys Will Be Boys

You're A Regular Decorated Emergency.

Sirens. All I can hear are sirens. And a dull ringing in my ear. I can't see, my eyes are swollen shut. I hear frantic yelling. Something is wrong.

"Raegan, Raegan. Baby, can you hear me? Please, stay with me. They're coming."
Afton, my sweet Afton. I can hear you. I'm not leaving. Make them hurry.
"Raegan." I hear him crying. "I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner. Just please, hang on for me."
Don't worry, my darling. I'm not going anywhere. Don't beat yourself up. You'll see me again, I promise. I'll fight.

And that's the last coherent thing I think before I slip into the darkness.

Afton

Paramedics. They're beginning to annoy me.

"What happened to Mr. Daniels, sir?"
"Which one?"
"The minor."
"What in God's name do you think happened?! His father beat the living crap out of him! You need to go find that coward and arrest him!" I'm just about steaming with anger and my face is wet with tears.
"Lower your voice, please. We have people searching now. Did you witness this event?"
"I heard it over the phone. Stop questioning me. I just want to see Raegan. Is he going to be okay?"
"You can't go in, sir. He's in ICU. We're... We're not sure if he'll make it. The injuries are pretty bad."

And I collapse. Please, God. Please don't take my baby.

Raegan

Darkness. It swallows me whole. It's relentless, and I'm reluctant. It keeps trying to drag me down deeper and the force of it is terribly strong. I don't want to fight anymore. I want to give up. But I can't. My baby's counting on me and I have to keep fighting for him. I want to see that beautiful face again. Those big brown eyes and his unruly brown hair. I have to see it. If I could just see Afton one more time, I could let go. I want to tell him I'm sorry. I'm sorry for bringing him into this, I never meant to do any harm. I just wanted someone to understand why Raegan Travis Daniels never loves. My baby understood and I don't want to leave him.

Let me stay, lord. It's not my time to go.

Afton

They've finally let me into his room. I'm scared for him. All the machines hooked up to his little body are threatening to me. They want to take his life. But they can't. God wouldn't do that to me, would he? He can't have my Raegan.

"Baby. If you can hear, know that you have to fight. Fight to live, Raegan. For me. For Kevin. Please, just don't let go."

The I.V. and your hospital bed
This was no accidentThis was a therapeutic chain of events

This is the scent of dead skin on a linoleum floor
This is the scent of quarantine wings in a hospital
It's not so pleasant
And it's not so conventional
It sure as hell ain't normal
But we deal, we deal.


P L E A S E L I V E , R A E G A N.

Raegan

I can't fight it any longer. I'll say my goodbyes now. I'm sorry, Afton. Please forgive me.

Are you happy now, daddy?

Afton.

I'm holding his hand and watching his face for any sign of life. He twitches. Then the machine that represent his heart beat....the line goes straight.

He's....dead.

"Nurse!"
♠ ♠ ♠
NO!