Don't Let Them Grind You Down

Deep in your veins, I will not lie

I explained everything to Ray, the argument, my worries, Frank's nightmare and then...Jeff. He listened carefully, gasping every so often and looking at Frank.

By the time I was finnished I was close to tears and Ray wasn't much better off.

"What are we gunna do Ray?" I asked, desperate for somebody to take charge.

"I..we...I don't know Gee. We need to let Frank rest, but if he gets any worse, and I mean just a little, we are going to have to take him in to hospital"

I opened my mouth to argue when Ray shook his head.

"No matter what you promised him. This isn't about keeping deals any more, it's making sure Frankie lives to make new ones, okay?"

I nodded slowly, sadness seeping through my veins, being pumped around my tired body by my heart.

"Does your brother or Bob know of any of this?"

"No... you think we should tell them soon?"

"Not soon, now. They need to be included, if were gunna get through this we're gunna need to stick together.

I nodded my head slowly, suddenly glad that I had come to Ray's, he was making the most sense at the moment, and I was totally glad that he was keeping his cool and making good decisions.

"So you go downstairs, ring your brother and then Bob. Tell them to come over, we can explain in detail when they get here, okay?"

"Okay...and Ray?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks dude, for everything"

"That's what friends are for" He smiled sadly and I turned away and made my way downstairs

I picked up his phone and took a deep breath. Mikey first.

He picked up after the first few rings, his cheerful voice having no clue about the sorrow that had been going on behind closed doors.

"Hey Mikes"

"S'up bro?"

"I'm at Ray's, I need you to come over..." I said, my voice making it clear that something was wrong.

"Gee? What happened... are you hurt?" he asked, voice full of concern

"I'm fine, Frank's the one whos hurt. I'll explain when you get here... just hurry 'kay?"

"What? Okay I'll be there as fast as I can."

The conversation with Bob was more or less the same and each word I spoke I felt extra weight added to my heart.

Bob started ranting about how he was gunna "Kill the motherfucker" and make sure Jeff "Can never make babies"

This was real, it wasn't just some nightmare. Frank was abused.

I shuddered as that word crossed my mind.

How was this going to be fixed? I asked myself as a stray tear found it's way down my cold cheek.