Don't Let Them Grind You Down

I'm growing tired and time stands still before me

Frank POV

Looking around wildly, I figured out we must be in Ray's house by looking at the green carpet that held so many memories... Gerard must have brought me here.

My breaths where still ragged and salty tears where stinging my eyes before rolling down my flushed face.

Still looking around, I caught Gerard's eyes and I couldn't help it, I just collapsed into him and sobbed into his black T- shirt that had that familiar scent that I had grown to love.

He whispered into my ear and I calmed down again and I pulled back and just stared at the patterned wallpaper.

"Frankie..." his voice cracked and he cleared his throat

"The guys are downstairs, they're worried. You wanna go see them?"

I wanted to, but I didn't want sympathy... I just want everything to go back to normal, or at least what we class as normal.

I nodded and Gerard smiled.

"But... can we not talk about... you know?" I said, my voice sounding weak and lifeless, something that Gerard probably not used to as his smiled faded and he nodded.

"Of course Frankie. Let me just go down and tell them your okay, 'kay?"

I knew that he wanted to warn them not to ask questions and I appreciated it. I nodded again, not trusting my voice and watched him slowly stand up. He turned nodded reassuringly at me and walked downstairs, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I thought back to Jeff's face as he caused me physical pain, and mental I suppose, but I was scared. Not because he hurt me, not because he said all those horrible things... but because he enjoyed doing it. The look on his face as his fist connected with my jaw made me shiver.

Up until today, I had managed to convince myself that I wasn't abused... I hated that word.

But the look on Gerard's face earlier brought my wall that I had built crashing down at my feet as I was forced to face the harsh reality that it wasn't normal to get battered by your... Step dad on a day-to-day basis.

Dread bubbled in my stomach as I realized that that monster was marrying my Mom, which means I'll have to survive in the same house as him.

Gerard POV
I forced myself to leave the human wreck that was my best friend and go downstairs. I slowly moved and let my hand drag over bumps and marks.

I heard a low mumbling and I turned the handle and walked in. As soon as I stepped in everyone stopped talking.

"He's okay... Just a bit shocked I think."

"Is he going to come down?" asked Mikey, nervously playing with his glasses.

"Yeah, he doesn't want to talk about it though" I stated, looking across at the worried looks that where on the faces of my loved ones.

"He will when he's ready. He just needs time, and support." I continued

"And that's what where gunna give him" added Ray and Bob and Mikey nodded and I smiled at them. We would get Frankie though this. Together, as a team. As a family.