Don't Let Them Grind You Down

Frozen here on the ladder of my life

Gerard POV

Nobody dared speak when Frank’s face appeared in the doorway looking exhausted.

”Hey buddy” Mikey said sadly, breaking the silence that hung over the room.

”Mikes” Frank smiled sadly and walked over to Mikey, the two of them embraced each other.

We were all really close, but Frank and Mikey had known each other since forever; they had that history that made the more like brothers than friends.

Mikey ruffled Frank’s hair and Frank pouted. Mikey laughed so. Frank flicked my brother’s ear and then giggled, and that was all it took. The tension was broken.

Bob and Ray smiled at me and I nodded. Things weren’t over by a long shot. But things where looking up for all of us.

As the day passed, things got back to as close to normal as was possible. I really admired Frank for being so brave about the whole thing.

We watched film after film, binged out on junk food while messing around. Sometimes reality would smack us in the face but for the rest of the night. We pretended nothing had ever happened, with Frank being the lead actor.

That dream reality, however, wasn’t built to last.

The end credits of The Matrix where rolling on the screen and Frank and Mikey where sleeping contently on the couch.

Bob and Ray where playing cards on the floor and I was watching, amused at their idiotic way of playing snap.

”Fizzle sticks!” yelled Ray as both their hands slammed to the floor on top of a small pile of cards.

Mikey jumped about a mile in the air as his peaceful slumber was disturbed, and he fell onto the floor face first.

He had managed to wake Frank up, and Frank’s high-pitched giggle was muffled from the pillow he was holding to his face.

Waving his arms wildly, Mikey pushed himself up while Bob and Ray argued over who had won the cards.

I let out a content sigh and stretched my arms out. The doorbell went off and I groaned. Standing up from my position on the floor I walked out to the hallway.

Unlocking the door slowly with the old house key. I sharply inhaled as I stared at the last person on Earth I wanted to see.

”Miss me?” growled Jeff as I stood in the open doorway in a state of shock.