Don't Let Them Grind You Down

I took a chance and changed your way of life

Pain shot through Gerard's neck as he lifted it slowly off the stiff board that had been his bed for the previous night. His tired eyes glances around the small cell, squinting occasionally as a beam of sunlight penetrated them while his head pounded and his limbs ached.

The sound of heels echoing around the hallway caught Gerard's attention and he listened with for any other clues of the visitor as the noise became increasingly louder.

They finally stopped when the owner of the shoes came to a stop outside Gerard's cell door.

He faintly remembered the woman from the previous evenings events. She had taken his details and booked him into his cell. Her disapproving looks and stuck up appearance had been ignored by Gerard at that point because of the anger that had been pumping through his veins, sending him into an almost trance like state, but on this meeting they intruded his senses like an unwanted stain.

He felt himself scowl at her and she wordlessly raised her eyebrows. A tense silence filled the acute distance between the two before being broken by the sharp snips of a statement.

”Some people are here for you. They’ve paid your bail and you’re free to go Mr.…. Way.”

The disgust in her voice was obvious and Gerard couldn’t wait to leave. He jumped up quickly from his ‘bed’ and felt relief flooded through his body at the mere thought of being re-united with his friends.

As he was escorted out of the cell and walked down the corridor, Gerard also felt an unexpected feeling of overpowering guilt. Frank.

He had been forced to watch his worst nightmare getting one over on his best friend. Worry soon took over from where the guilt left off as he grew nearer and nearer to the front desk.

”What’s Frank gunna say? Would he be mad?”

He watched silently as a pen scribbled over a form. The woman ripped of a piece on the bottom that she needed to keep, stapled it to another green form and then handed it to Gerard. He took it and then turned towards the exit that would take him to his friends.

The big metal squeaked when he pushed it and he came face to face with Ray’s worried expression.

”Gerard!” he cried, making his hair bob a little on his head.

”Hey Ray…Bob” croaked Gerard as he noticed Bob’s hunched form sitting on the chairs. Bob nodded in reply and Ray pulled Gerard into a bone crushing hug.

”What the hell were you thinking asshole?” demanded Ray in a joking tone. After receiving no reply he let it go and decided to let it go and took on a more serious tone.

”Everyone was really worried…especially Frank”

At the mention of Frank, Gerard’s head snapped up and he gave his full attention.

”How is he?”

”Well he’s pretty shaken up, which is understandable, didn’t help that we have no clue where Jeff ran off to.” Ray sighed

”Seriously! He’s free on the streets?” Gerard cried

”Yeah he scarpered as soon as the cops took you.”

”Where’s Frankie now? Is he safe?” said Gerard as he fretted about Frank’s safety.

”He’s back home, Mikey’s looking after him.”

Taking this as a good enough answer, Gerard simply nodded and then turned to Bob.

”You ‘kay man?” He asked, looking at Bob’s, now, fully formed black eye.

”Yeah fine thanks…shall we head off?”

”Christ yeah, I need to get out of this place.”

Bob chuckled and stood up. Ray passed him the car keys and the three boys walked down the hallway in a comfortable silence.

The brakes squeaked as the car came to a stop outside their home. The familiar noise of the rusty gate hitting the wall made Gerard jump. He couldn’t understand why he was so on edge…something just felt wrong.

He sighed as he watched Ray unlock the door with precise accuracy.

Bob was first to notice the deadly silence that loomed over the house like a deadly plague. When Ray swung the front room door open, a number of rushed curse words were uttered before the three men rapidly ran into the room.

The whole room had been destroyed, ornaments smashed, curtains ripped and furniture over-turned.

Panic hit Gerard like a speeding truck, it burned his insides and forced his eyes to water.

”Mikey? Frank?” he screamed desperately, his eyes busy searching the remains if their home for any sign if life.

”Gerard!” Came Ray’s anxious call.

Dreading what he would find, Gerard slowly made his way over to the kitchen where Ray’s voice had come from.

He let out a gasp as he came face to face with his brother, his mouth gagged, glasses removed and rope tied around his limbs.

”Mikes!” he roared and rushed to help his brother.

Mikey let out a few muffled sobs while his brother attempted to untie him. Seeing that there was no way he would free his brother without the aid of a knife he went in the direction of the cutlery draw.

Sitting on top of the cabinet however was a note.

Written in scruffy handwriting was:

”I HAVE THE BRAT. CALL THE COPS AND HE DIES.
LOTS OF LOVE
YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE
XXX”


A/N: A kinda long chapter that I wrote in NJ last week, sorry it took me till now to update. Thanks for reading and please comment xoxo
<3

P.S: Happy Guy Fawks Night everyone in the U.K ^_^ I'm off to start my fire now xoxo