Don't Let Them Grind You Down

Although I search my self it's always someone else

Flashback

A disgruntled Bob Bryar sat on a mossy bench, cursing under his breath and kicking the dirt beneath his feet. He had no clue where the fuck he was and the temperature was decreasing to a level that Bob certainly wasn't used to being out in.

He wrapped his useless old jacked around his body, hoping that just this one time it would offer warmth, it didn't.

The silence was broken, in the children’s park that Bob had ended up in, by the high-pitched squeal of the gate swinging open.

Bob cautiously looked up to see a gang of boys entering. Warning signals buzzed in his head and he knew that he was a stupid idiot for walking around a new area with no protection. He tried to remain unseen by looking down at the ground and staying still. A tactic, which had served him well in his many years of solitude.

The boys chattering voices hit Bob and he could make out a few laughs and even a giggle? After listening for a few moments Bob could figure out there was about four males... but he wasn't certain.

He chanced another look at them and in that quick glance he relaxed a little bit as 3 out of the 4 boys were wearing band t-shirts... meaning that if they did decide to kick his butt... they may have some sympathy as he too was a music fan.

However he soon tensed up again as he heard the rough voiced and the slow footsteps coming closer to him. Shit.

He kept his head down however and just repeated swears in his head. A shadow fell over him and he gulped before looking up.

There stood a short ass kid with one of the biggest grins on the planet. He had hair that had been dyed black which fell over one eye and was wearing a red and black striped top.

"Uuh hi?" Bob asked as he looked around for the kid's friends, spotting them not too far behind him.

"Hi!" the boy responded and waved.

Bob raised his eyebrow and nodded slowly, trying to work out if the kid was on drugs or just plain insane.

"I'm Frank nice to meet yuh!" he spoke with a strong New Jersey accent, which invaded Bob's senses and reminded him he was far from home.

"Bob"

Soon enough the other three boys had reached the bench and Frank started to jump up and down. Bob came to the conclusion that the boy was insane.

"I made a new friend!!!! It's... BOB" squealed Frank and the boys laughed.

They took it in turns to introduce themselves; meanwhile Bob was becoming more and more relaxed.

After Gerard, Mikey and Ray had all given their names they began asking questions of their own.

"So you from around here? Cause I haven't seen you around before..." Ray spoke first.

"Nope, I'm a Chicago boy and I always will be, but after my parents split my Dad decided to move here." Bob explained earning nodding heads from the gang.

"Music?" It was Gerard's turn it seemed.

"Maiden, Metallica, Misfits, Pumpkins... you know, all the legends." Bob smiled as their faces lit up.

"Do you play anything?"

"Sure, I'm a drummer"

"Wicked! We're a band... and we just kicked out our drummer"

Bob felt excitement bubble up inside his stomach; maybe just maybe New Jersey wasn't going to be so bad.

He noticed Ray raising his eyebrows to Gerard and Gerard nodded.

"Do you wanna come jam with us? I mean you sound pretty cool and all..." Ray asked

"Okay that sounds awesome."

"Yay! Bobby is our new friend!" Frank exploded and launched himself at Bob and hugged him tightly

"Oh and don't mind Frankie... he's just insane"

Bob grinned as he pried the shorter teen off him.

He stood up and began walking with his newfound friends. His worries of how to get back to his new house a distant memory.

"Welcome to the family Bobby" Frank sung as he jumped onto him for a piggyback ride.

Back in Chicago Bob would have punched anyone who tried jumping onto his back into the next century... but Frank was different because, well because Frank was Frank. And that was all that was needed.


Bob awoke with a start and was disorientated for a few moments as he tried to remember where he was. The boys from his memory were now sitting around him, but had lost that carefree attitude and their faces were lined with worry.

A family member, who made even the blackest days bright, their flame - Frankie was missing and suddenly with the force of a hurricane it all hit Bob at once and he clenched his fists to stop himself from crying out.

He may not of know Frank as long as the others, he may not have shared as many moments with him as the Way brothers, or jammed with him like Ray... but he loved him like a brother, just like all the others.

Frank was the first to approach and welcome him, Frank didn't care about his faults and Frank was the only one he had let get close to him in years. He needed to save the kid.

They drove on towards the Mall where Frank had located himself, as it was near Jersey City, where Ray's brother lived he had volunteered to drive due to his knowledge of the roads.

So on they drove, past nameless people and speeding cars, blurring lights and blacked out windows, the feeling of a missing member dragging down their heavy hearts.

After what seemed like days of driving the car came to a steady stop.

"We're here,” Ray whispered as he pointed to a huge red neon sign, which read "Motel"

And the family was ready to reclaim their flame.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Birthday Bob Bryar ^_^
and Happy New Year everybody <3

Sorry for the huge ass wait but Christmas kinda took over =) Plus I've been in Germany etc... so Internet access was limited. But enough excuses. I hope everyone who celebrates it had a wonderful Christmas and I wish everyone a happy 2008.