Don't Let Them Grind You Down

But losing everything is like the sun going down

Frank tried to focus on the purple sports that were floating around his eyes. Something was wrong, he's never felt this bad before.

He knew he should attempt to get up and check the severity of his injuries but he was beginning to enjoy the numbness that was slowly snaking through his broken body.

Besides, with Jeff out getting more alcohol he knew that round 2 was only minutes away and Frank really wanted to save what was left of his strength so he could at least try and protect himself from the blows.

Getting frustrated at the colors and shapes that seemed to be moving around the room, Frank painfully scrunched his eyes closed and groaned.

Unknown to the beaten child, his only hope of survival was turning the handle of the scratched door and were pushing it open silently.

Gerard took a few moments to allow his eyes to adjust to the low lighting in the squalor that stood before him. Mikey, Ray and Bob stood with him in a seemingly empty room and they too began to scan the room for any sign of life.

The footsteps that treaded on the stained carpet caught Frank's attention. His heartbeat quicken as thoughts of his captor's stern beatings swirled around his head.

Frank groaned involuntary but did not open his eyes, if he was going to feel the pain he may as get it over with.

"Frankie?" Gerard asked the dark room. He was sure he'd heard something.

"Gerard!" Frank opened his eyes and sat up straight away, ignoring the pain that shot through him.

Ray, Bob and Mikey spun around to where Gerard had been looking. Gerard was way ahead of them and was already moving towards where he had heard Frank's scared and weak voice.

Their eyes met in the darkened room and a burst of hope shot exploded in the glance between the young boys.

Gerard almost tripped over the edge of the bedspread as he rushed forward, reaching Frankie who was laying with one side leaning on the wall.

Frank felt all eyes on his as Ray, Bob and Mikey joined Gerard and they all began studying his injuries.

Mikey was unable to describe the pain he felt as he saw the bruises littering his best friend's skin. He knew the others must be in a similar state of mind, he winced as he noticed that Frank's arm was bent the wrong way, both his eyes were rapidly turning black and he had blood dripping from his nose and a wound in his head.

A stunned silence fell over the family, only broken when Gerard let out a whimper, fell to his knees and placed his cold hands onto Frank's cheeks, avoiding a bleeding cut on his chin.

"Frank, oh Frankie... God I'm sorry, I am so, so sorry." he choked as ran his hand through Frank's hair, wincing as he came across a part that was sticky from blood.

"Gee?"

"Yeah Frankie?"

"I...I don't feel so good. Every things so...blurry" Frank slurred

"No! God no!" Gerard cried as the young boy's eyes rolled back into his head.

Ray and Bob immediately sprung into action, picking up their injured friend and placing him on the bed while Mikey rang 911.

Gerard, however was frozen, staring at the spot where Frankie had been abandoned; a fresh blood stain had been added to the disgusting carpet.

As he heard Mikey shakily tell the paramedics their address and situation, Gerard did something which was totally out of character for him.

He put his hands together and he prayed.

Please, don't let us be too late. Don't let the sun go down on him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback?
Only 1 chapter and an Epilogue left now...