Sequel: Nothing Safe
Status: Complete! Check out our sequel, coming soon :P

Hollow Point

Here Goes Nothing

Noire burst through her front door, running to her room and grabbing her cell phone off the bed. She rapidly punched in Scott's number, jumping around anxiously. "Pick up, Scott. Hurry."

After a few seconds, there was a cough and a sluggish, "Hello?" Scott yawned on the other end.

"Scott! There's someone up there. A man. His name's Daelen Ezra. Oh, Scott. He seems so sweet and I feel so bad that he's up there, locked up all by himself. We have to help him."

There was another cough, shocked this time. "Wait wait wait, Noire. Just hold on a second. There's actually someone up there?"

"Yes! I swear, Scott. We talked and everything. I'm going back up tomorrow night. I want you to come over tomorrow and help me make some food for him, because he only gets a slice of bread and a water bottle. He can't live off that."

Scott sighed. "What if he's supposed to be up there, Noire? Maybe he's like a serial killer or something, luring you to him so he can get freebies before he finally convinces you to break him out and he tortures and kills you in some disgustingly gruesome way?" His words came out fast in a panicked manner.

Noire rolled her eyes. "Please, Scott. He wouldn't kill me. He's cute. I think you would think so, too." She let out a small laugh. "But, seriously. He needs my help, and it would be really nice of you if you helped out."

There was a pause. "What did you say his name was?" Scott sounded thoughtful.

"Daelen Ezra. Why? Is something wrong?"

"Huh. You could say that. Hold on a sec, I know I've heard that last name before..." Scott trailed off. "Got it! There's a shop owner in this town named Mr. Ezra. Do you think there's a relation...?"

Noire's mouth dropped. "That must be his dad! Doesn't he know his son is locked up in the middle of no where? I have to see him, Scott. I have to. Do you know where the store is?" She smiled to herself. "It must not be that hard to find, considering how small this town is."

"Yeah, yeah. Lemme think." he hesitated, pondering. "Uh, I think it's the convenience store right off Redwood St. I don't remember its name, but I remember Mr. Ezra. He's a mean, old man. He threw a bag of chips in my face once. I don't think he likes gay people or something." Scott laughed.

Noire tried to contain a laugh. "That's horrible. He must be the one who put Daelen up there in the first place." She hesitated a bit, clearing her throat. "Um, is there a Mrs. Ezra?"

"Hm. I don't think so. At least, not anymore. I think she died some years ago. Maybe that's why the old man's all mean and stuff. He's probably lonely...That doesn't justify hating the gay kids though."

"Yeah, that is pretty mean. Though, you do have to feel bad for him, especially if he was madly in love with his wife. It's hard to lose someone you love a lot. Maybe he'll talk about it if I ask him though." Noire pondered for a minute. "Are you going to go in the store with me?"

Scott cleared his throat uncomfortably. "I mean, if you really want me to, I will. I'm not afraid of an old dude with arthritis, but just be ready for some third degree glares coming our way." He paused. "He's probably not going to give you any answers, Noire. He hates people, kids especially."

Noire snorted. "I'm not a kid, Scott. I'm an adult. You know I can make myself sound smart, too."

"I know, but to Mr. Ezra, everyone's a kid. It doesn't matter how smart you are, he still manages to make everyone feel like dirt. But hey, if you want to try and you want me there, I'll come with you."

"Well, we'll see what happens, okay? What time do you want to head out?" Noire sounded a bit hopeful.

He let out a heavy sigh. "Uh, I get up around ten. We can go maybe about twelve?"

Noire felt slightly disappointed. "Oh, yeah, okay. That's fine, Scott. I'll let you get back to sleep though. Thanks for talking. I'll be over at 12."

"Okay. Good night." There was a click and the call ended.

Noire stumbled to her closet, changing into sweatpants and a tee-shirt, before flopping down on her bed, nuzzling herself under the covers.
---
Noire rang the doorbell, her black, thick rimmed glasses reflecting the sunlight. She stood awkwardly, waiting for Scott to answer the door.

There were light footsteps, then a soft thump and an ow! before she heard the door unlock and Scott stood there, grinning through some obvious pain. "Hi."

Noire cocked her head to the side. "What'd you do this time?"

He laughed. "You act like we've been friends for years." He stopped, then grimaced. " I stubbed my toe."

"Duh. That's my job." She looked down at his feet, seeing his left big toe slightly swollen. "Want to put some ice on that before we leave?"

"No, I'm all good, I've just got to get some socks and shoes on, then we can leave." He motioned her inside.

She stepped inside, slipping off her shoes and placing them to the left of the door. Scott's house looked almost identical to hers. Her eyes widened and she ran into the kitchen, seeing that it was like hers, but with lighter counters and black appliances. "Nice place, Scott. Even though it is almost like mine." she yelled to him.

"Well, you know, we all like to conform these days." he called back. His voice drifted from the bedroom to her right. There was another thump, and she heard Scott curse softly.

Noire let out a small laugh, before going out to his living room, setting herself down on the loveseat. "So, about how far away is this place?"

"Not far at all." Scott came out of his bedroom and plopped down next to her. "It's just a short walk."

"Okay, good. To be honest, I'm not walking far in heels." She reached over to poke Scott's arm. "Otherwise it'll be you who has to carry me."

He cringed. "Not sure I could do that. You look pretty obese to me." He laughed.

Noire frowned and punched his shoulder. "That wasn't very nice." She huffed, turning her head away from him. "Can we just go now?"

Scott rubbed his shoulder, frowning. "You do know I was kidding, right? It was supposed to be funny, 'cause you're really skinny."

She blushed, tilting her head towards the ground. "I'm sorry, Scott. You know I'm not that humorous." She turned back towards him. "Sorry about hitting you."

"No, no it's totally fine." He smiled apologetically at her. "A few months with me and you'll be getting my lame-ass jokes. Sorry if I offended you."

Noire smiled sweetly, linking her arm with his. "No worries. Now, let's go already!" She tugged on his arm, trying to get him to get back on his feet.

He grinned, deciding to make a game out of it. "I don't know, Noire, I'm pretty tired...Maybe you're the one who's going to have to carry me."

Smirking, she put her arm under his knees and the other around his back. "Think I won't do it?"

"I actually really don't know. It'll be amusing to see you try though. Just try not to drop me on my head."

"Okay!" Noire picked him up, barely lifting him up off the loveseat, before gracefully dropping him on the floor. "Awake enough now?" she said, looking down at him with a grin.

"I guess now. Oof. At least you didn't get my head. Can I have a hand up?" He extended his hand toward her with an overly innocent expression.

She smiled. "I'm glad I didn't get your head." Noire held out her hand and grabbed his, trying her hardest to pull him back up.

Scott's grip became tight, and with a devilish grin, he yanked her down to the floor.

She let out a loud squeal, before falling on top of him. Pushing herself up with her arms, she looked at Scott and laughed. "Scott..I thought you were gay."

"Oh, so gay guys can't pull girls onto them?" He raised his eyebrows at her. "Or is it just that you think gays are weak and not able to do that?" He stuck his tongue out at her.

Noire shot a glare towards him before rolling off him and standing up, straightening out her shirt. "I think it's both." She looked down at him and shook her head. "What am I going to do with you, Scott?"

"Nothing dirty, I hope." With one last smirk, he pushed himself up from the floor. "C'mon. Let's go check out the old man." He stopped. "Uh, that didn't come out right."

"No, it didn't, but that's okay. We all know you're interested." Noire giggled, looping her arm in his. "We better get this over with, since I know you're not very ecstatic about going here."
--
"This place looks as ugly as it did last time I saw it." Scott remarked. They were standing in front of a small nondescript general store with a simple brown door and white walls.

Noire's eyes began to water as she looked at the sign. "Closed. It's closed." She turned towards Scott before leaning in and giving him a hug. "I was so pumped up, Scott..now everything's ruined."

"Hey, don't cry, Noire. We can just come back tomorrow. And if that doesn't work, we can search the old guy out, okay?"

She wiped away the tears and makeup running down her face and nodded curtly. "I guess so..but I walked all this way in heels just for him." She frowned and slipped out of the heels, letting her feet nuzzle into the dirt road. "Oh well.."

"Pah. You're never going to find him anyways." Vilhelmas was standing in front of them, tapping his foot arrogantly. "Besides, if Mr. Ezra doesn't want to talk to you, you'll never get anything out of him."

"Hey, Vil!" Scott went over to the boy and ruffled his hair earnestly. "How's the old folks keeping?"

Vilhelmas smiled. "They're fine, Scott."

Noire gave Scott a look of disgust. "You honestly know this kid?"

Scott looked confused. "Yeah, Vil's my old buddy. He was just eight years old when I met him. I babysat him a lot, but I didn't mind. Why do you look like you think it's a bad thing?"

She sighed, shaking her head. "That kid is such a creep. Always staring at me while I'm around. I don't know how you deal with him." She shuddered, hugging herself tightly.

"Well, if you haven't noticed, I'm a guy, so this straight kid chooses not to stare at me, but at you. You are very pretty and he's a hormonal teenager." Scott's mouth twitched in amusement.

"Uh, hello? Standing right here." Vilhelmas looked at them indignantly.

"Still. He creeps me out. But thanks for that compliment anyways." She covered herself up more, seeing that Vilhelmas couldn't take a hint.

Scott cleared his throat, attempting to sidetrack the teen. When that didn't work, he lightly slapped him on the head and asked, "So, are you here for any particular reason?"

"Oh. Yeah. Well, I was taking a walk and I noticed you two happened to be heading to Mr. Ezra's. I wanted to let you know it was a lost cause."

"And why would it be a lost cause?" Noire said angrily.

"Mr. Ezra's been uncooperative since he lost his wife. I can only vaguely remember her, but my grandparents said that she was his pride and joy. Once her health starting declining, he got worse as well." Vilhelmas frowned. "Grandma said he was the nicest person before..."

Noire's face softened and her heart beat loudly against her chest. "What happened to her? Why did she die?"

The boy furrowed his brow. "Uh, I think she died of depression. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was it. I didn't think you could die from being so sad, but that's what Grandpa said."

"Oh gosh, that's terrible..I didn't know you could die from that either. Poor couple. Does anyone have any idea why she was so depressed?"

He shook his head in response. "I asked, but then they both got really quiet and sad. They wouldn't answer me."

Scott looked up. "Maybe...?" He looked at Noire.

Noire's eyes widened. "It must be. Oh, goodness." She looked at the ground and shifted her weight awkwardly.

Vilhelmas glanced at them in confusion. "Am I missing something...?"

"The only way to find out for sure is to ask, I guess." Scott replied, ignoring the puzzled teenager. "It's got to be a sore topic."

"Yeah, I would assume so." Noire turned to Vilhelmas. "Why don't you go on home? Your grandparents must be worried."

"No! I want to know what you're talking about." He crossed his arms stubbornly.

"Vil, please? For me?" Scott asked.

Vilhelmas wavered. "Fine." he said finally. "But you're going to tell me later." He stomped off.

Noire rolled her eyes. "He is such a brat. Make sure that creep stays away from me." She murmured, turning her attention to the closed store. "Why aren't you open?"

"I'm fairly sure it can't answer you. Come on. Let's go back to my house and talk about the cute prisoner guy." Scott nudged her playfully.

Noire looked over her shoulder back at the store, her eyes longing for it to open. "I guess you're right, Scott. There's no way we're going to speak to Mr. Ezra today."

"Yeah. We'll get the old man tomorrow, so don't worry about it."

"Okay. I won't, as long as you do me a small favor." She grinned up at her friend.

"Oh dear. I'm going to regret this, aren't I?" He sighed. "What is it?"

Noire frowned, jumping on his back. "I was just going to ask for you to carry me home. Jeez." She pinched his arm lightly. "Onward to victory!"

"Alright then, hang on!" Scott adjusted her on his back and started sprinting toward his house.

She giggled, clutching onto Scott's shirt. "You're really too fast. Did you play any sports?" she asked, sliding off his back when they arrived at his house.

"Hell yeah. I love to play soccer. I run a lot too. How about you?" He straightened up and looked at her questioningly.

"Well, I do run sometimes, but I'm more of a genius, not a sports player. Still..I have to keep fit for bikini season." Noire stuck out her tongue and started to walk to her house. "Let's go to my place. You haven't been in it yet."

Scott came up beside her. "True. So uh, this kid, is he messed up?"

She unlocked the door, allowing Scott to go in first. "No. He's up there because apparently he's a psycho, yet he doesn't act like that at all." Noire furrowed her brow. "It upsets me; he seems perfectly normal."

Scott stepped in and looked around absently. "Well," he finally said. "I guess psychos can have layers."

She scowled. "He is not a psycho. He is a normal person, just like you and me."

"He can't be too normal if he's locked up. How long's he been in there, anyways?"

"All he said was that he was up there for the town's safety, but seriously, Scott. He needs our help." Noire ran over to the refrigerator, rummaging through it. "Now, are you going to help me make him some food or not?"

Scott walked over and leaned against the counter. "Okay. So, uh, what are we making him?"

"Well, I thought about making him some chicken.." She paused, walking back over to the freezer. "But changed my mind. I think I'm going to make him some steak."

"Ookay. What do you want me to do then?" He looked at her questioningly.

"Could you grab the A1 sauce and pour some in a plastic bag so it can be ready for the steak?" Noire dashed over to the sink, rinsing her hands quickly.

"I can do that." He walked to the fridge and began fumbling around, glass clinking and bottles falling over.

Noire turned around and smiled. "You're not much of a cooking person I assume?"

Scott turned his face to her, still half crouched in the fridge. "You would assume right. I'm more of a let's-eat-a-frozen-dinner kind of person."

Noire chuckled. "Well, if you ever feel like having a real dinner, come on over and I can make something for you." She smiled, taking the half full bag from Scott and dropping the steak inside.

"Sweet. No more lame, overcooked mushy vegetables for Scott." He grinned at her.

She smiled back and tossed the bag a bit, trying to get every spot of the steak hit with the A1 sauce. "Are you coming with me?"

Scott leaned against the counter again and looked at her in confusion. "I didn't think you would want me to come."

"Well, I wasn't sure if you wanted or not. I mean, sure it would be nice to be alone with him again but..." Noire blushed slightly, pulling out a cooking rack before placing the steak on top.

"Are you scared of him?"

Noire widened her eyes. "No way. He's really sweet."

"Then why? You want to show me how gorgeous he is?" Scott smirked at her.

She stuck her tongue out at him. "Indeed."

He raised a thoughtful finger to his lips. "Maybe he's gay...That would be amazing. He can be the damsel in distress in man form, and I'll swoop in and save him and we'll live together to have many adopted children. Ah. Life would be good."

Noire's mouth dropped. "I don't think so, buddy. I believe that he's into girls, since he blushed when I was there last."

Seth laughed at her expression. "Maybe he's bisexual. Or even better, he was pretending you were a guy because he hasn't gotten any in awhile and you were just there, and he had to make due." He nodded. "That's stretching it, isn't it?"

She glared. "Yes. Just a little bit though." Her expression softened and she put the steak in the oven.

"Hm. Do you really like him?"

Noire looked at the ground. "I don't really know him. I like him as a friend, maybe a slight crush. Nothing more though."

"Well, I guess that's good. It's not like you can really have a relationship with someone in prison. They probably don't even give him visiting hours." Scott joked.

Noire cracked a smile. "Yeah..I guess so."

He looked at her seriously now. "Do you really want me to go with you?"

She half smiled. "No, not really. Maybe next time. I just...I don't think he would tell me anything with you around. He was skeptical telling me his name."

"Well, I'd be paranoid too, locked up and then all of a sudden some girl shows up and just wants to talk? I'd find it a little sketchy too."

Scott was quiet for a moment, then pushed himself away from the counter. "Well," he said, "I'm going to get going. Have fun with your prisoner. Ask him if he's gay for me. I want to know." He sent a small smile her way and opened his arms for a hug.

Noire smiled and squished Scott in a hug. "Thanks for the help. I'm sure Daelen will appreciate it. And I'll be sure to ask him." She poked his side before walking him to the door. "Call you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, and then we'll go track down the old dude. Later, Noire." He strode to the door, opened it, and with one last wave, disappeared. The last sound was the soft click of the door closing.

Noire smiled to herself, turning around and heading back to the kitchen to finish her dinner for Daelen, making sure everything was perfect. He deserved it, didn't he?
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a long time, I know. Sorry about that. Both Morgan and I have been busy, especially with school.

Parts:
Morgan: Vilhelmas and Scott
Tamsin: Noire