Sequel: Nothing Safe
Status: Complete! Check out our sequel, coming soon :P

Hollow Point

Panic Switch

Noire dashed up the hill, carrying in her hands a flashlight, and a lunch bag, filled with potato chips, steak, and a can of root beer. "Oh, goodness. I hope he likes everything I've brought him." She continued up, slowing down a bit so she wasn't puffing when she got there.

When she saw the building close by, she turned off her flashlight and ran around the lot, trying to escape the lights that were shining brightly. It wasn't long before she reached the window that opened up to Daelen's room. "Daelen? You in there?" she said cautiously, afraid someone was in there with him.

"I'm sorry." came a soft voice. It sounded like Daelen's, but it didn't seem like his words were aimed at her. "I tried so hard but then I just lost it." There was a quiet shuffling sound.

"...Daelen? Is that you?" Noire got out her flashlight, pointing it into his room. She saw him sitting on the floor, trying his best to complete a puzzle. "Hey, Daelen." she said timidly.

He didn't respond. Absently, he pushed a puzzle piece next to another and connected them. Finally, not looking at her, he spoke. "Didn't think you would come back." There was an odd inflection in his voice. It seemed too flat.

"Of course I came back." Noire said, slightly hurt. "I promised you I would. I'm not one to break promises, Daelen."

He finally turned his face toward her. It looked pale and worn with bags under his dark grey eyes. He turned his lips slightly up in what was probably meant to be a relieved smile. It turned out looking like a grimace.

Noire smiled back at him. "I brought you some food. I hope you like steak." She held out the bag and drink, waiting for him to accept.

He reached out with a blanched hand and took the bag slowly. Retracting his arm, he set the bag down and quietly looked inside.

Noire smiled proudly. "Made it myself. The steak, that is. My best friend helped me, too. He's gay." Noire narrowed her eyes. "Are you?"

Daelen raised his eyebrows nonchalantly, but the sudden slight blush broke his cover. "What an odd question." He paused. "Not that I know of."

She let out a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness. The thought of Scott being able to take you for himself scared me a bit." Noire gave him a sheepish smile.

His blush grew more pronounced as he pondered the implication of her words. Finally he asked, "Why would that scare you?"

Noire blushed slightly, realizing what she had just said. "I..um..well..I like you a bit, Daelen. You're different."

He bit his lip hard and looked down. "You...You have to leave." he said in a strained tone.

She frowned. "Why? What's wrong?"

He locked eyes with her. "I told you that I'm dangerous. You're going to get killed."

"No..no, I won't. You're a sweet, normal person. I know you are, Daelen."

He stood up abruptly and shot forward to grip the bars of the window. His grey eyes were cold. "Do you want to know what I did to get thrown in here?" His voice was quiet, almost threatening.

Noire trembled slightly. "Sure, Daelen. If you want to."

He stared straight into her eyes as he whispered, "I killed my own little sister." His face was unreadable.

Noire blinked a few times, too stunned to say anything. She let out a few noises, before running over to the fence. "Maybe Scott was right. Maybe he is a serial killer, luring me to him so that I can just give him freebies before he convinces me to break him out. Then he'll torture me and kill me in some disgustingly gruesome manner." The words came out in one breath causing her to gasp for air. "No...this isn't happening. Not him. Not Daelen." She glanced over her shoulder, seeing his bony fingers wrapped around the bars of the window. "But..what if he is trying to kill me? What if he's just using me? What if he's been practicing blushing for all those years he's been stuck inside, learning to use it for evil!" Noire let out a small noise, before quickly covering her mouth. "Get a hold of yourself, Noire. Daelen is a very nice guy. He's not going to kill you." Quickly, but cautiously, she walked back over to the window and sat down. "Sorry, Daelen. Just needed a minute."

"I'm sure," he replied with sinister eyes. "It's not every day you get to hold a conversation with a killer."

Noire winced, avoiding any eye contact. "So..if you don't mind me asking, why did you do it?"

Daelen paused, glancing down at the root beer can on the floor. "I...snapped. My sister happened to be there at the wrong time. I still remember...all the blood..." He didn't lift his eyes to hers. His fingers twitched against the cold aluminum surface of the can.

She seemed a bit skeptical about the story, but decided it seemed real enough to her. "I'm really sorry, Daelen. I bet you didn't mean to do it. Everyone makes mistakes." She glanced down at the can. "Have you eaten anything that I've brought you?"

Daelen ignored her question. "It wasn't a mistake. I've...gotten sick...Sicker. This cell is a disease that I'm slowly succumbing to." His knuckles whitened as gripped the bars of the window harder.

Noire looked inside the cell, then all around her outside. "What if I could break you out and get you actual help in the real world? Would that be okay?" She longed for some sort of emotion towards her from him. Some sort of gesture that would assure her that being here wasn't pointless.

A jolt ran through Daelen's frame as he realized this was his chance. If this was real, if she was real, then he could leave this place. Hope blossomed in his chest as he stared at the girl who was willing to risk her life for him. Him...a crazy prisoner who told her that he had killed his own sister. "You're as mad as I am," he whispered breathlessly.

Noire smiled down at him and rolled onto her stomach."We're friends, remember? Friends help out each other. You, my friend, seem to need a lot of help getting out of this place. I guess that's where I come in."

A blush crept along his face at being called a friend. "Thank you," he responded quietly.

She smiled, holding out her hand cautiously. "I'll be back tomorrow night, same time?"

Daelen grasped it firmly this time, feeling the warmth of her hand against his cold palm. He nodded to her with a small smile. There was something in his eyes that hadn't been there previously. "Thank you," he repeated.

Tears began to form in the corners of Noire's eyes. "You're welcome, Daelen. Thank you, for teaching me to be selfless." She squeezed his hand gently, before getting up and running around the corner on her way home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm REALLY sorry that it's been so long. Now that Morgan and I are both off of school for the summer, we're definitely going to be writing more. We have some great ideas, so I hope you guys look forward to it!

Parts:
Tamsin-Noire
Morgan-Daelen