The Dark Witch

The Sixth Memory

P.O.V - Albus Dumbledore

All was a blur, for the longest of time I could see nothing but hazy shapes unwilling to form. Colors mixing and blending till they were completely indistinguishable, was the memory distorted? Could Sirius have abstracted this memory and then thought better of it? Suddenly without warning, everything faded to black. The harsh sounding pitter patter of rain could be heard from outside of the room in which the memory had placed me.

“So it all was a lie then? You lied to me.” Echoed Maria’s sharp hissing voice, a flash of lightning flickering through a window near my left shoulder lighting up her face. I was startled at how calm, yet furious she could look, it reminded me Tom unsettling way of expressing his anger.

“No,” Replied Sirius, who, with another timely flash of lightning, I discovered to be standing beside me, his normally elegant hair floundering in shambles around his face, not unalike the way it would look after his stay in Azkaban, “No, I…”

“Oh, so you weren’t pretending to be a dog then? This was all an amusing ruse was it?” Snapped Maria, her self-control slipping away, “Well that’s just fine, Black. It means that I can stop playing fair!” Lightening lit up the stony room again, revealing that Maria pressing her long slender wand against Sirius’ chest, tears glistening in her eyes, pain in his, “I trusted you…” She whispered, anger draining off her face, sadness replacing it, “and you betrayed me, I thought you were different, I thought Amicus was different. All those things I told you…” Her voice died off and now I could only hear sobs.

“Maria…”

“Don’t touch me!” Shrieked Maria, followed by a loud slapping sound that echoed around the room. She was taking it as badly as Sirius probably feared. Their faces were lit up again, as the sound of the thunder rumbled outside, Maria’s stained with tears, her face contorted with rage and hurt, Sirius’ filled with shock, his right hand holding the side of his face. Not because of the physical pain, no he had been hurt far worse before, but the emotional was far more severe, I’m sure, than most.

A click clattering of heels pierced the blackness, “Stay away!” Maria’s words punctuated by the slamming of a door, a sound that reverberated through the room, along with Sirius’ sharp intake of breath.

So this was the sixth memory, I thought to myself, my heart breaking for the pair. What, I wondered, awaited me in the seventh?