The Dark Witch

The Seventh Memory: Part 1

P.O.V - Albus Dumbledore

The Hog’s Head. I thought idly to myself, as I observed my new surroundings. The unkempt, slightly questionable, establishment of my dear brother’s and, the perfect place, it seemed, my eyes narrowing on a young Sirius huddled up to the bar, idly sipping firewhiskey, for underage drinking. Ah, love. How swiftly it can send us to the barkeep. Clearly, not much had changed since my last visit into the memories of the recently departed, Sirius Black.

But what, I wonder, shall occur here in a matter of moments? My brother’s cliental seemed as it always was, hooded and interesting, to say the least. Thus making my narrowing of possible scenarios impossible. Sirius, however, seemed unaware of any other occupant of the pub, save my brother, from whom he seemed to desire more refills from every couple of moments. If your heart is troubled, let not your dirty glass be empty, I suppose.

Sighing, I took a few steps closer to the boy. Perhaps, if I could see the pub from his perspective new light could be gleamed. All I discovered, however, was that dear Sirius was in need of not only a shave, but a bath as well. Disgruntled, I furled my brow, raising my good hand to stroke my beard in thoughtful manner, and then I saw it. A small piece of parchment resting next to Sirius’ firewhiskey, the first clue as to why this memory was of particular importance, I leaned in.

Daughter,

Your information on James Potter, Lily Evans, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew has been most informative. Your findings have led me to believe in the possible recruitment of the first four aforementioned. However, I see nothing that Pettigrew could possible offer. Thus, it is my wish that you do not include him in our little outing. With the others, you may precede as planned. Despite your thoughts upon their lack of interest, I think you are, once again, doubting my charms, and that it may be necessary for you to return home. As I believe your place in the fold is getting rather…forgotten, by yourself. You are not to entertain ideas of a common witch, as you suggested to me in your previous letter. Do not force me to take remedial action upon your behalf.

Sincerely,

Lord Voldemort

Ah, so my thoughts were wrong. The circumstances had indeed changed for Sirius, and for Maria as well, if the letter is any indication. A wisp of a black cloak caught the corner of my eye, not an unusual attire for the Hog’s Head, but, upon looking up, the figure was unmistakable. Maria.

“You said you had something of mine, Black?” She asked, her voice portraying an air of coolness easily likened to that of her father.

It was then Sirius looked up, finally, from his mug. The poor boy was more of a wreck than I had realized. His eyes were red with strain and his expression was covered with a mixture of emotions. All of which I could most likely name on their own, but combined? It was impossible to place…

“When you said your father was sadistic did you mean towards you? Or did you mean only towards the thousands of others he’s tortured and murdered?” He uttered gruffly, his gaze firmly locked with Maria’s. Of whom, had turned a much paler shade than I would have believed possible, as her lack of a tan already made her uncommonly pale.

“What?” She asked. Her voice was soft, delicate even. Her previous cool façade long gone.

“You heard me.” Exclaimed Sirius, rising from his stool to tower over her, “And you were upset about my lies.” He paused, a thoughtful expression appearing on his haggard face, “Or were you just upset that I was close to uncovering your little scheme. Then,” He took a step closer towards her, leaving almost no room between them, before Maria took a rather large step back, “of course there’s the possibility that you were really not upset about anything at all and just…” Sirius waved his hands about in a drunken search of a word, “pleased. Pleased that I had fallen perfectly into your hands.”

“Sirius…”

“You know,” Sirius began, cutting off Maria, “that actually makes sense. It explains why you’ve let me wallow in grief. Doing everything in my power to fix things between us, though there never really was an us, was there?” Maria opened her mouth to speak, but he once again cut her off, “And then one day, you know what happened?” Sirius began, once again stepping towards Maria, as he inclined his face towards hers, “I see my cousin Bellatrix skipping across the lawns of Hogwarts in the wee hours of the night.” He leaned back, and for the first time briefly looked away from Maria, “I asked myself, what was that wretched cousin of mine doing at a school she had graduated from nine years prior. So you know what I did?” He paused, “I followed her. That’s what I did and you know what I discovered? Her leaving this,” Sirius lifted and brought the letter to Maria’s gaze, “In an opening of a fake tree stump, near the quidditch fields. I’m sure you know the one.”

Maria’s eyes widened upon seeing the letter, she kept gazing from it to Sirius, her face colored in shock, “You don’t understand…”

“Understand! You played me! You played Lily! You played everyone!” Roared Sirius, “And all for what? “The Dark Lord”?” If the inhabitants of Hog’s Head had been turning a deaf ear, they certainly were not now, “Your…”

Maria clasped her hand over Sirius’ mouth, “Sirius!” She scolded, her voice soft and shrill, and her eyes widened to their fullest potential, “Hush now. You don’t know what you’re saying. Here of all places…”

Sirius slapped her hand away, “Oh, you care now do you?” He boomed, before pressing his face near to hers and whispering, “Trying to protect daddy dearest from the knowledge that his daughter is an incompetent spy?”

Maria took a step back, tears in her eyes, “You idiot.” She said softly as four people in black cloaks converged upon Sirius. Disappearing into nothing a moment later, along with Maria.