The Dark Witch

A Worn Piece of Parchment

P.O.V - Albus Dumbledore

A month has pasted since I had explored the seventh memory of Sirius Black. A month that has been full of nothing other than contemplation and a near constant gaze towards Sirius’ chest in the corner of my office. Along with the letter, of course. How could I possibly forget the letter? My gaze lowered towards a tiny piece of, now worn, parchment that was laid out on my desk. My thoughts have been full of it too.

Sighing a little to myself, I lifted the small piece of paper up to my gaze,

Dear Head Master Dumbledore of Hogwarts,

I find myself writing to you again on the behalf of the young sixteen year old girl, Becky Sinclair, whom you accepted into your esteemed school roughly three weeks ago. In my previous letter, I had mentioned that she was in the process of being treated for various causes of mental distress, at a psychiatric hospital in London. From which, I had gained the knowledge of her lack of family and ill health. I am now of the belief, after spending a good deal of time with the child in question, that she has sustained a good deal of magical abuse. Perhaps from someone as powerful as He Who Must Not Be Named, himself.

I have come to this conclusion through her knowledge, and accurate depiction of, not only He Who Must Not Be Named, but the recently reprieved murderer, and subsequently departed, Sirius Black. As I am convinced that she had no knowledge of the wizarding world prior to our meeting. I am of the belief that I have stumbled onto someone of great importance, as she also shows signs of someone upon who the obliviate charm has been preformed.

I also believe that, it is because of her great magical talent, that she has managed to recall anything at all from her time prior to the obliviate charm. Her memory seems to return to her in the form of hallucinations, though it is possible she has been contacted by He Who Must Not Be Named in some fashion, as she claims he deposited an actual wand (which I have seen and held) after one of his “visits”. As such, the hallucinations, of sorts, seem to be fuelling her desire to continue in the belief that she is insane, despite it all.

However, I have managed to get this desire of hers under a slight control, though it is still possible for her to “set off”. I am, by no means, saying she is dangerous in her desire, but am providing a few words of caution for not only your dealings with her, but for professors and students at your school.

Consequently, after gaining all this newfound information, I wish for her to be placed into your guardianship as soon as is reasonable possible. As much as I know it should be in my loyalty to turn Becky Sinclair over to the Ministry, I am not an ignorant woman. The Ministry is not only inadequately suited for caring for Becky, but, despite recent changes, is still a place rotting in its own corruption, and I say this as one of members.

Thus, it is my hope, that you can help and assist Becky in remembering whatever the obliviate charm has caused her to lose, as well as uncovering her connections to He Who Must Not Be Named, and helping her adjust to the wizarding world. I believe that, with training, she can become a very powerful witch and a great asset to our cause.

Sincerely,

Theresa Lankins

Carefully, I lowered the well read letter back onto my desk. Shortly after receiving it a month ago, I had requested Becky be removed from her room at the Leaky Cauldron and placed under the watch and care of Arabella Figg, a most trusted friend and ally. After deeming Hogwarts, with its many halls and current state of emptiness, might prove too much for the unstable girl. Subsequently, I find myself most impressed with my care of Becky, as my first desire, upon reading the letter, was to immediately apparate to the Leaky Cauldron and examine her myself. However, after several more readings, I came of a level head and merely moved the child into more protected care, than the thin, but level headed, protection of Mrs. Lankins.

Arabella can take good enough care of Becky Sinclair, until such time as she is to arrive at Hogwarts with the rest of students. I thought calmly. It was essential here, to take the words of Mrs. Lankins to heart. The girl was of a delicate mind. To attempt to explore it now may prove devastatingly detrimental in the future. Hopefully, and with any luck, Becky will flourish under Arabella's care, and, after her arrival and a week or two at Hogwarts, will be of such a mind that I will be able to extract the needed information from her without fear.

This is what, at least, I assure myself, must occur. For I am of the opinion, that a great deal of value can be found inside of the mind of Becky Sinclair and one cannot rush such things. Despite the, sometimes overpowering, desire to do otherwise.

With a contemplative sigh, I raised myself from my chair. I was prepared now; I had considered and thought for an appropriate amount of time. I was finally ready for, whatever may appear, in the next of Sirius’ memories.