The Dark Witch

The Eighth Memory

P.O.V - Albus Dumbledore

It took no more than the mere tip of my nose pressing against the waters of the pensieve, for me to be drawn into Sirius’ eighth memory. Where, moments later, I found myself, once again, to be within the confines of the Hogwarts library, sitting aside the young Sirius Black. Who, I was startled to see, was, along with the other Marauders, pouring over a multitude of books. Indeed, the table, in which they encircled, was stacked with piles upon piles of more reading material than I would have not expected them to have covered, collectively, in a full lifetime. Let alone all at once.

Apparently, I was not alone in my thoughts, as many students had gathered, discreetly, behind various bookshelves to watch the amazing sight. For, despite their impressive grades, and with the exception of Remus, it was considered a rare sight to catch just one Marauder reading a page in the book. Let alone the whole group collectively immersing themselves in books in the library. Perhaps, I should question my awareness of what goes on in my school. For I do not remember hearing of this remarkable event.

Abruptly, James slammed the book he had been reading, shut, receiving a ‘shush’ from Madam Pince, and even more rapt attention from everyone, including myself, in the library.

“There’s nothing, mate.” He proclaimed irritably, towards a grim looking Sirius, “Not even one word, on fire elementals.”

Ah, yes. I thought to myself, recalling information from time past. Hestia had demanded that Hogwarts remove all books, containing information on fire elementals, save one copy in the restricted section, in the year 1944. She had given no reason for her demands, though; she rarely gave a public reason for any action she took regarding her people. However, in light of recent events, perhaps there was a more…particular reason behind her request than just a simply book removal and a usual denial of an explanation.

Silently, and uncaring that all eyes were upon him, for even Remus and Peter had looked up from their books. Sirius lifted up another book from one of the tall stacks and held it out to James, “Then onto the next one, Prongs.” He said simply, ignoring the look on James’ face, as he dropped the book in front of his friend, before turning back to his own.

All eyes turned to James, as he looked down at the book, raising his eyebrows before returning his gaze to Sirius, “You can’t be serious, Padfoot.” Sirius, blinked and looked up from his book as James continued, “We’ve been here since the bloody library opened, any longer, and we’ll be here when it closes as well.”

“Your point being?” Sirius replied sharply.

“My point?” Replied James, a mocking edge to his voice as he rose to his feet, “Is that we’ve wasted a day in the library pouring over books, looking for information on a cow…” Sirius clenched his jaw, “who not only spied on us for months, but sold us out to Voldemort.” There was a collective gasp from the onlookers in the library, “But you,” James pointed at Sirius, “don’t seem to care about any of that.” Sirius face flared and he made a motion to stand up, “If anything, mate…” there was a biting tone to James’ voice now, “you seem to be more in-love with her now than before.”

I had barely blinked, before Sirius’ wand had appeared in his hand, “Stupefy!” James immediately was flung backwards, his body smashing into a bookshelf, before crumbling to the ground, unconscious. Instantly, Remus and Peter jumped up, rushing towards the fallen Marauder. Along with the many onlookers emerging from their hiding positions, their mouths agape.

My eyes, however, remained upon Sirius, who seemed just as shocked as everyone else who had borne witness to his attack upon James. Reflexively, he looked down at his wand, as if he had never seen anything like it before. Then he looked back up at the crowd that surrounded James. An appalled look on his face. What he did next was something I’ve never seen him do before, or would have thought he would done. Only second to him attacking his best friend, James Potter. For in that moment, Sirius Black turned around and fled.