The Dark Witch

The Ninth Memory

P.O.V - Albus Dumbledore

What, I wondered, would I uncover in the next of Sirius’ memories? As the world around me slowly began to dissolve into black smoke, the pensieve preparing to transport me into, what I believe to be the ninth memory. I had already gained so much knowledge from the memories of Sirius Black. If only he had allowed me to be privy to his mind while alive, perhaps…well. It matters not. Such things cannot be changed, and, as I have often learned, it is unwise to dwell on the past, particularly on that which is unchangeable. Ironic, that I recall my prior conclusions while inhabiting someone’s memory.

I watched as my surroundings gradually began to form around me, revealing the Hospital Wing. The lights were very dim at this hour and the darkness outside the windows told me the time was late night. The beds were mostly empty, Poppy having, once again it seems, been successful at curing over half of her patients. Indeed, it seemed that only three beds in the whole wing were occupied, and for a school such as Hogwarts, that is quite a feat.

As much as I’m sure those two students were severely ill, my gaze was not drawn to their beds, but rather to the only bed in the room to which the surrounding curtain had been drawn. Privacy being of the upmost importance to some of Poppy’s patients and clearly in this situation as well. As the curtain had not only been drawn, but this particular patient had also been given a bed in the far left corner of the room. Swiftly, I moved closer to the patient's bedside.

“I’m sorry, James.” I heard the hoarse voice of Sirius Black behind the curtain. Pushing it back and stepping inside the small area, I could now see a sleeping James Potter with Sirius Black sitting at his bedside. The dim light making him appear far older than his 17 years.

“I never thought that I would ever…” Sirius’ jaw clenched as his head away from sleeping James, his right hand curling into a fist, “You’re like my brother, you know.” He turned his head back towards James, “More than that idiot ever was,” A shadow fell on Sirius’ face and his gaze turned downwards, towards the floor in front of him, “is.”

Regulus Black. Sirius’ younger brother, a former Slytherin and a death eater as well, if my memory serves. Though the pair were similar in looks, their separate temperaments could not be compared in the slightest. Where Sirius was quite the rebel, in the pure blood side of the wizarding world, Regulus went the flow. He had been a man who needed orders, a purpose. Sirius always had been more of a man to break and make the rules. He was never one to conform.

Sirius cleared his throat, turning back to James, his eyebrows raised, his face echoing sincerity, “It will never happen again, Prongs.” He paused, tilting his head for a moment at James, before turning back down to look at his lap, “You were right, you know. I love…I did love Maria. Just never…I never told her.” Sirius raised his head, an angry expression on his face, “And you know what? I’m really glad I didn’t.” He stood up from his chair, fuming, his voice straining as he fought to keep it low, “It doesn’t matter what the hell she is. She sold me…us out. You were right, Prongs. She’s just like them.” He paused, his features becoming wrought with tension, “Like my family, my brother, all of them. She’s no different.”

My heart broke for Sirius. I could feel his pain all too well. To be fooled and betrayed by the person you love…there is no greater treachery.

Just then, the curtain, that had been blocking the bedside away from the rest of the infirmary, was pulled back. Allowing Maria to step into the area. She looked frailer than I had ever remembered seeing her. Her skin having become so thin, that even in this dim light, her veins were visible. Her long beautiful black hair reduced to thin wisps. Her pale red robe only accenting her poor condition, and making her look smaller in the process. Clutched tightly in her hands was the Marauder's Map, along with a rather thick book. It’s title hidden from view.

“You’re right,” She began softly, even her voice sounded weak, “I’m just like them.” Maria bit her lip, as her eyes locked with Sirius. Tension filling the air.

It was a moment before Sirius spoke. His face fixed with a determinedly angry expression, as he stared at the Marauder’s Map, “Where did you get that?” He asked gruffly, stepping closer to Maria, and snatching it from her hands. She relinquished it without protest.

A small smile appeared on Maria’s face as she licked her lips self-consciously, tilting her head. Looking at James for a moment, before looking back at Sirius, “Well, to be honest, I knicked it from your dormitory.”

Sirius raised his eyebrows, “Why?” He asked, his voice tinged with deadly calm.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Maria began, stepping forward, taking a deep breath. I could see now that her eyes had filled with tears, “I needed to see you.”

Silence engulfed the pair, theirs eyes locked together. Sirius’ face tight with repressed emotion, Maria nervously clutching her book as she cried. I’ve never seen her cry before. There was strength in her tears, and there was pain.

“You don’t need to see me for anything,” Began Sirius, his voice low, “You sold me out. To your, father.” He spat out the last word. Maria flinched. Concern overtook Sirius’ face for a moment before being replaced by anger, “You’re the reason all of the people I care about could have died.”

“I know.” Said Maria softly, leaning towards him. Her face honest and pleading, “I know Sirius.” Tears rolling down her face, “You don’t think I know that? You don’t think I hate myself for that?” She outstretched her left hand towards him while clutching her book in her right, “You all could have died and it would have been all my fault.” She swallowed hard, taking a breath and retracting her hand, “I’m not supposed to care you know. About any of it. You were a mission Sirius, all of you were. A job, and turning you in was supposed to be my payout.” Maria paused, not dropping eye contact with Sirius as she once again bit her lip, shaking her head, “It wasn’t.”

In a flurry of movement, Maria deposited her book at the foot of James’ bed, giving a final smile to Sirius as she fled the infirmary.

A beat passed.

Well, that was certainly interesting. I thought calmly. My eyes remaining on a stunned Sirius whose gaze still hadn’t moved from where Maria had stood. I watched as he shook his head slightly, his gaze turning towards the book Maria had left behind. He began to move towards it, as did I. The golden lettering of its title gleaming in the moonlight, “Fire Elementals”.