The Dark Witch

The Final Memory

P.O.V – Albus Dumbledore

Sirius’ hand brushed the book. A frown marring his handsome features.

I stepped back from him, contemplative.

She had retrieved the book for him. She had known he had questions. I sighed, a small smile forming on my face. Maria’s actions were not of an evil witch, but of one deeply in love. I had already known this, of course, but having it shown to me…beyond words.

Sirius picked up the book from the bed, his expression unchanged, as he moved to open it. The world around him slowly was beginning to change, as I passed from one memory to the next. The Hospital Wing fading away and the Shrieking Shack taking its place.

Sirius’ tenth and final memory would take place here. In this dismal little mockery for home and a dwelling that contained many of Remus’ most tortured childhood memories. Oddly, it seemed fitting.

I turned abruptly to my left as a sound of scuffling feet could be heard coming from the tunnel. I couldn’t help but feel slightly saddened by this moment. The last memory. Over the past couple of months, I have come to enjoy these little excursions into the mind of Sirius Black. I now knew more about Maria than I had ever dreamed of knowing, and it was all thanks to the love she and Sirius had shared. Even if it was only for a short time.

I watched, unsurprised, as Sirius pulled himself out of the tunnel, and into the living room. The book on Fire Elementals clutched to his chest. Shortly followed by Maria, who, if anything, looked worse than she had before.

“Alright, Sirius.” She began wearily, landing gingerly on her feet, “Why did you bring me here?”

“Why?” Began Sirius, facing her, a look of controlled anger on his face, his movements jittery, “Because I read the book, Maria.” He thrust the book in question towards her. A confused look appearing on her face. He retracted the book and stepped close to her, “I know what you did.” He stated hoarsely, she didn’t move, “Why?” His voice broke.

Maria blinked, her mouth forming a silent O. She looked away from him, a pained expression forming on her face.

Sirius placed his left hand under her chin, bringing her head back up, his eyes searching hers, “Why did you do it?” He asks again, his eyes watery, “Maria, why?”

Tears sprung from her eyes and began to roll down her face, “What else could I do, Sirius? He was going to kill you!”

Sirius’ eyes widened slightly, but he did not move his hand from her, “But, don’t you know what you’ve done?” He asked softly.

Maria blinked, anger flashing across her face as she wrenched herself from him, “What I’ve done?” She snapped hysterically, “You think I don’t know? I’ve practically sold my soul to him!” She choked, wrapping her arms around herself for a moment. Her head downcast. Sirius took a step towards her as she looked up, “My mother did the same thing, you know.” A small chuckle fell from Maria’s lips, “He tortured her, murdered her race, and she fell in-love with him.” Maria paused, releasing her arms and raising a hand into the air, “She thought that if she gave him the most precious thing she possessed, her light, her fire. That he would see that she truly loved him.” Maria’s tears were coming fast now, “He broke her!” She shrieked, “He tortured her and assaulted her until she just couldn’t take it anymore. He drove her insane!”

Sirius’ took a step towards her, they were only a foot apart now, tears pouring out of his own eyes, as he reached his hand up to brush her face.

“I swore,” Began Maria shakily, “That I would never do what she did. I’d never give him that much control over me.” She looked away from Sirius, an appalled expression forming on her face, “Let him own me.” She spat. Before slowly looking back up, her eyes locking with Sirius’, “But I couldn’t let you die.” Her own voice broke then, and she began to sob uncontrollably as Sirius, dropping the book, pulled her into a tight embrace.

“We can runaway,” He began softly, his head pressed to her hair, “I can take you away from him. Somewhere he could never find you.”

Maria pulled back from Sirius, frowning and shaking her head, “You don’t get it. He’s a part of me now, Sirius. I can run away from him. He’s in me now.” Maria paused, “He owns me.” She added softly, looking away from him.

Sirius shook his head, placing one hand imploringly on her shoulder, another under her chin, lifting her head up slowly to face him, “No, there’s a way. There’s always a way, a loophole.” He removed his hand from her shoulder, using it to dig into his robes, as Maria shook her head fiercely, shutting her eyes.

“No, no, you don’t get it, Sirius.” She argued, stepping back. Her eyes widening as she saw him withdraw a small silver ring from his robes.

“Marry me.” He began softly, cradling the ring in the palm of his hand, as she stared at him, wide eyed, “Marry me and I’ll make this all go away. He can’t touch you if you’re my wife.”

“Oh, Sirius…” Maria began softly, her face melting as she stared at the ring, “You don’t understand.” She looked back up at his imploring face, shaking her head slowly, “My marrying you won’t make a bit of difference.”

“No,” Pressed Sirius, stepping towards her, trying to meet her eyes as she continuously looked away, “It will. I have it all worked out.” He touched her cheek gently, bringing her to face him once again, “We’ll be joined. You’ll be mine, and he can’t take what’s mine without me choosing to give it to him….”

Maria laughed, stepping back from Sirius, “That or you’ll just be selling yourself to him too, since you’ll be mine as well.”

Sirius stared her, his expression unchanging, as he slowly knelt down on one knee, “Well, you’re in this because of me, right? So it’s only fair.” He swallowed hard, his eyes softening, as he raised the ring towards her, “Will you marry me?” He asked hoarsely, “And don’t say no, because you’re afraid of all the ‘what if’s’, only say no, if you really don’t want to be my wife.”

Maria stared at him, mouth agape, fresh tears rolling down her face, “Sirius,” She began softly.

“Maria.” Replied Sirius sternly, tilting his head at her. Causing her to sigh, as she stepped towards him, a look of defeat on her face.

“Okay, Sirius. I’ll marry you.”